• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A few things lost in the shuffle...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Mike Ford holds the ball to low, he needs to bring his arm up higher when holds the ball to lock the ball into place.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Amarri is a natural play maker, get him the ball as many times as possible.

he needs to catch the ball to make plays with it.

not to down Amarri, because he shows flashes and when he does make plays they are amazing...

but this game against UCF was a scrimmage by the second half, and Amarri didn't have pressure to perform as he would in a tight game.

i've always wondered why they don't use him similar to how FSU uses Greg Carr with fade routes in the red zone.  he's easily 4-5 inches taller than most DBs he plays against, put one up in the air and let him jump and get it.

ah well... the game was awesome, and aside from a bad case of the dropsies in the first half that could have put the game away before halftime, the offense really clicked.  our most complete game to date.

A blowout win, life is great.  Or is it?  I figured I'd look through the stats for little clues to the rest of the season.

• Grothe had by far his best game throwing the ball this year.  Nice to see. 
  • We dropped at least two sure TDs early.  Not Good.  Hopefully the WRs got in rhythm with Grothe later in the game.
  • Selvie costs himself a sack by arriving at the QB too early, and causing a fumble.  He's amazing.
  • I feel really good about Gregory as a backup.  Too bad he didn't arrive on campus two years before Grothe.
  • Ford easily led the RBBC with 8 carries for 39 yards.  Williams had next most carries with 5 for -1.
  • Taurus Johnson had 6 catches for 83 yards and 2 TDs.  He looks like a #1.
  • Great game by Alvarado.  2/2 FGs, 8/8 XPs, and some great punting, including getting a ball downed inside the 5.
  • I didn't notice Amarri return two punts.  Will he get that job back?

All in all, looks pretty positive!

nice assessment.

although i think his games against Auburn (1 TD, 184 yards, 67%) and UNC (1 TD, 230 yards, 57%) were better passing games than this one (2 TD's, 212 yards, 54%), relatively speaking...  under 54% completion isn't fantastic against their trash D.  granted, he could have racked up another 100 yards + thru the air if he stayed in, and he had some long ones that SHOULD have been caught.

no denying that this was his best all around game tho...  200+ yards thru the airr, 100 on the ground, 2 TDs each way.  very impressive.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

No doubt we'd like to see better than a 54% completion rate, but with all those early drops knocked his percentage down quite a bit.  I thought his accuracy on the deep ball was much better than Auburn or UNC.

No doubt we'd like to see better than a 54% completion rate, but with all those early drops knocked his percentage down quite a bit.  I thought his accuracy on the deep ball was much better than Auburn or UNC.

i agree with that.  although i dont remember him hurling too many longballs in the Auburn game.  my recollection of the game (which is hazy considering it was the best football weekend of my life after a 20 hour greyhound ride) was conservative play calling and short passes.

i'm just saying... 184 yards and 67% completion with 1 TD and no INT's against a defense like Auburn's is phenomenal... on the road no less...  UCF was cake compared to that.

Archived