• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Passing Issues

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Forgot to mention that we are really missing Ean Randolph. He was always open, and clutch with his hands and making plays.

TJ is good, but without a big play threat like that on the other side, it hurts a bit. Amarri could be that guy, just needs to hold on to the ball (starting with the catch).

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The defense IMO is on the field to much and not staying fresh and could lead to major break downs. With all this being said, the OC better step up, or i like many fans will be calling for is resignation soon.

Ok, now that is a bit overboard.  If we didnt' have 3 fumbles by our receivers and so many dropped passes, we would have had plenty of yardage in the air.  I don't believe the play calls are the problem.

In fact, we got into trouble opening up the passing game too much.  Grothe's only 3 int's this season have come on plays over 20 yards down field.  2 under thrown balls (35 - 40 yards down field) during WVU, and one 25 yarder vs FAU.  Those were execution problems, imo, not play call problems.  Calling for anyone's job at all this season is pretty lame.  We're 5-0.  Relax just a little.

Those 2 INT's vs WVU were barely under thrown. 2-3 inches more air and they are TD's. The opening of the passing game has not caused us to get into trouble. As for the INT vs FAU. I was on the 50 yd line and the play occurred right in front of us. It was a blown route by the receiver, once again like a said Grothe has a knack for pre-determined vision.

You are just making my point there... it isn't the OC, it is execution.  If we executed the plays better, there wouldn't be a problem.  The best called play executed wrong is not likely to work.  Those passes that were just a step or two underthrown, if thrown those extra steps, are TD's and all of a sudden everyone is raving about our passing game.  It isn't any more complicated than that.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

From what ive seen this season, we could have been better if we kept our old OC.

So far, I agree.

Obviously, we'll have to "stay tuned" to see how it all plays out.

But Coach Gregory has some SERIOUS work to do.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

On the OC topic, there was a quote from him on the ESPNU broadcast. Something to the effect of "the defense has been playing lights out, the last thing I want to do is mess that up".

That didn't really set well with me. It's almost like not stepping up to the challenge. I think if I were the coach, I would want my O kicking a little *** so we could get some of the credit. I would probably go more with an attitude of "our defense has been playing lights out, so we are trying to live up to their standards".

Of course, if I were OC, all of the play calls would be really bad, and I would be fired immediately, so ESPN wouldn't never get to interview me. Sad story really.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

On the OC topic, there was a quote from him on the ESPNU broadcast. Something to the effect of "the defense has been playing lights out, the last thing I want to do is mess that up".

That didn't really set well with me. It's almost like not stepping up to the challenge. I think if I were the coach, I would want my O kicking a little *** so we could get some of the credit. I would probably go more with an attitude of "our defense has been playing lights out, so we are trying to live up to their standards".

Of course, if I were OC, all of the play calls would be really bad, and I would be fired immediately, so ESPN wouldn't never get to interview me. Sad story really.

That might just be someone who isn't as good at interviewing. 

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I am not a fan of shuffling so many receivers in and out.  Pick three or four go to guys and let Matt and them get on the same page and get their timing down.

Go back to last year's OC.  You are too funny!!!.  We are already averaging a TD more per game on offense than we did last year and we have already played against 2 of the toughest defenses we will face all year.  We also had 2 games last year where we were held to less than 10 points.  Smith was not a good OC.  In the game yesterday he would not have been able to make the adjustment in the second half that Gregory made and it would have gotten ugly.  Smith got outcoached more often than not.

Archived