• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FSWA Florida Coaches Media Days

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

naplesnews.com

FSWA College Coaches Media Days: Local player capsules from state schools

By Scott Hotard contact, Dana Oppedisano contact

Saturday, July 28, 2007

TAMPA — Capsules of local football players at state schools whose coaches spoke on Saturday:

CENTRAL FLORIDA

Cory Hogue, Naples -- A middle linebacker by trade, Hogue will start at one of the outside positions again this year. He has made 14 starts in his two years on campus.

Ereck Plancher, Lely -- Plancher, a relative of South Florida running back Moise Plancher, rushed for 698 yards last season at Lely. He enrolled at UCF in January, so he will have a head-start on his freshman classmates.

Mike Buxton, Estero -- The 6-foot-8, 317-pounder is looking to get on the field this year after redshirting last season. Has an experienced batch of offensive linemen in front of him.

FLORIDA

Wondy Pierre-Louis, Lely -- Pierre-Louis made an instant impact at Florida on special teams, where he won a spot as a gunner on the punt team. Made seven tackles. His role should increase this season, as he is expected to battle for a starting spot in a young secondary.

FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

Joe Alajaijian, Naples -- The 6-3, 285-pound workhorse started seven games last year at the guard positions. A favorite of coach Mario Cristobal, who said he gravitates to him.

Tyler Clawson, Gulf Coast -- Got playing time in 11 games last year as a reserve linebacker and on special teams. Finished with 12 tackles.

MIAMI

Javarris James, Immokalee -- Edgerin's cousin carried 175 times for 802 yards as a true freshman, starting 10 games. He also had 17 catches for 200 yards.

Derrick Morse, Estero -- The 6-4, 320-pound veteran has started 18 games since his freshman season. He could be moved this fall from right guard to center. Was preseason All-ACC First Team.

Spencer Adkins, Naples -- Adkins has seen action in just 10 games, but this will be a pivitol season for the junior. He is battling with Glenn Cook for the starting spot at weakside linebacker.

WEBBER INTERNATIONAL

Nick Garcia, Estero -- The bruising running back could be an assett this season for the Warriors, who are looking for more production in short-yardage situations. Garcia saw action with the school's junior varsity squad as a freshman last year.

Caleb Nemitz, Estero -- Nemitz put together one of the great single seasons in Estero history as a senior, as he ran and passed for more than 1,000 yards. He will get the chance to stay at quarterback in college, but his versatility makes him an option at other positions as well.

Chris Ferreira, Estero -- The receiver had a breakthrough season as a senior at Estero, making 26 catches for 616 yards. He is a tall target -- 6-foot-2 -- with good speed.

Look for capsules of local players online Sunday and in Monday's Daily News editions from schools whose coaches speak Sunday.

Link

Archived