• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rivals has nice article on Gransberry

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=688669

Gransberry finds own road

Bob McClellan

Rivals.com College Basketball Editor

When Kentrell Gransberry was coming up through the prep basketball ranks it was a heady time in Baton Rouge, La.

He was battling the likes of Glen Davis and Tyrus Thomas, guys who would go on to stardom at LSU.

Gransberry, too, signed with the Tigers, but he stayed for only a semester before transferring to San Jacinto College in Texas. He led the junior college ranks in rebounding as a sophomore, then brought his game to the University of South Florida.

The 6-foot-9 center exploded onto the national scene in his first season of major competition, unless you count battling Big Baby on the bayou. Gransberry led the Big East in rebounding (11.4 per game) and finished fifth in scoring (15.6 points per game). He posted 12 double-doubles, including a 26-point, 23-rebound performance in a season-ending loss to DePaul.

"His rebounding was not a surprise," said former Bulls coach Robert McCullum, who lured Gransberry to Tampa, Fla., but was fired after this past season when the team finished 12-18. "What surprised us was the way he scored.

Kentrell Gransberry figures to be the top rebounder in the Big East.

"He made great strides throughout the season. He's a kid that really enjoys rebounding. He takes great pride in it. If there is one word to describe him as a rebounder it's relentless, especially on the offensive boards."

Gransberry figures rebounding is about desire.

"What makes me a good rebounder? I would say willingness to get it and determination," Gransberry said. "Really, the only person who can stop you is you. You have to have the tenacity to go after it, the will."

Gransberry never figured he'd be going after it in the Big East. When he committed to play for South Florida, the Bulls still were in Conference USA.

"I had to put myself in a better situation for me," Gransberry said. "It's a great university, a great city, and it's a nice place to hang out. I didn't know they were going to the Big East. It's a great conference, great exposure."

It exposed Gransberry to more talented big men, players such as Georgetown's Roy Hibbert, Pittsburgh's Aaron Gray and Providence's Herbert Hill. It never hurts to go up against top competition, and as it turned out he was ready for the challenge.

USF also ran up against a couple of top post players in the non-conference schedule. Gransberry had 10 points and 10 rebounds against Texas A&M Corpus Christi 7-footer Chris Daniels. He posted 17 points and 15 boards against Wake Forest center Kyle Visser. He had 14 and nine against Gray, and 25 and 14 against Hill.

HITTING THE BOARDS

South Florida's Kentrell Gransberry is the nation's leading returning rebounder. Here's a look at the top nine rebounding averages from 2006-07 among returning players.

Name School Avg.

Kentrell Gransberry South Florida 11.4

Jason Thompson Rider 10.1

Lamar Sanders Lamar 9.8

Jeff Adrien Connecticut 9.7

Jon Brockman Washington 9.6

Arizona Reid High Point 9.5

Scott Cutley Cal State Fullerton 9.5

Carlos Monroe Florida Atlantic 9.4

Joey Dorsey Memphis 9.4

• Complete list of returning leaders

"Herbert Hill and I had a great matchup late in the season," Gransberry said. "I was trying to guard him and it was tough (Hill had 28 points and 16 rebounds). I wish him the best. Hopefully he's a first-rounder."

Gransberry already faced one first-rounder in Thomas back in the LSU days. Davis slipped into the second round of the NBA Draft last week.

"Playing against those guys was great," Gransberry said. "I knew that would help me because it made me work on my moves. It has paid off."

Gransberry is bullish on the future for South Florida. So far the program has been outmatched in its short time in the Big East, but the senior center has high hopes.

He also wants to join some of the guys against whom he has played as a potential NBA first-round pick.

"I can't determine that; that's up to scouts and GMs," Gransberry said. "I'll try to state my case next year. I don't get into all of that. But they'll see what I've done up to that point."

Bob McClellan is the college basketball editor for Rivals.com. He can be reached at bmcclellan@rivals.com.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  0

Front page for Gransberry....very nice!

Archived