• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marshall was at USF tonight (Confirmed... I Hope)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you!

USF Makes Its Pitch As Winthrop Coach Visits

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Mar 24, 2007

TAMPA - Winthrop coach Gregg Marshall, who has emerged as the leading candidate for the University of South Florida job, visited Tampa and the USF campus with his wife, Lynn, Friday.

The Marshalls toured the school's facilities with USF athletic director Doug Woolard, who has been seeking a replacement for Robert McCullum for the past two weeks.

On Tuesday, Woolard initially met with Marshall in Rock Hill, S.C., at Marshall's home. Marshall was then tentatively scheduled to visit USF on Thursday, but didn't make it to Tampa until Friday.

Inside the Sun Dome Friday night, the video scoreboards flashed brilliantly, the advertising panels shone brightly. The facility looked ready to host a game - or perhaps USF's next coach.

As part of his tour of USF's facilities, Marshall got a firsthand look inside the Sun Dome, the men's basketball office and USF locker rooms.

USF guards Solomon Bozeman and Aaron Holmes just happened to be inside the Sun Dome practicing on their shooting when they got a chance to meet Marshall, the man who might become their coach.

"When the NCAA Tournament started, my dad [Eric] told me he might be our next coach," Bozeman said. "I had been watching Winthrop in the NCAA Tournament.

"He [Marshall] said he was glad to see us working hard. He was glad to meet us. He was a nice person. He seemed like a pretty cool guy."

Bozeman and Holmes said they also talked to Marshall briefly about the NCAA Tournament.

Marshall, 44, has led Winthrop to seven NCAA Tournaments, including this season when the Eagles upset Big East foe Notre Dame in the first round before losing to Oregon in the second round.

Marshall is expected to return to Rock Hill today.

According to a source, ESPN.com reported Marshall doesn't plan on accepting the USF job if it is offered without returning home to consider all his options.

Besides USF, Marshall also is considering a new contract from Winthrop.

For the past few weeks, Marshall has been negotiating with Winthrop officials on a new 10-year deal, Winthrop assistant AD Jack Frost said. The school is expected to increase Marshall's contract from $270,000 to $400,000 annually.

Marshall met with Winthrop president Anthony Joseph DiGiorgio and Athletic Director Tom Hickman on Wednesday, but no deal was finalized. Hickman and Marshall met again Friday in Rock Hill, but Frost was not aware what was discussed in the meeting.

Besides USF, New Mexico also had sought permission to speak with Marshall, but the Lobos hired Steve Alford on Friday.

In nine years at Winthrop, Marshall is 194-83 and has been named Big South Coach of the Year four times.

This year's squad set a school record for victories, achieved Winthrop's first Associated Press Top 25 ranking (No. 24) and also finished with the Big South's first unbeaten record (14-0).

Marshall is one of at least four individuals who have spoken to Woolard about the job. Woolard also interviewed South Alabama coach John Pelphrey last Saturday in Atlanta and former Virginia coach Pete Gillen.

Also, current ESPN analyst and former St. John's, New Mexico and Manhattan coach Fran Fraschilla spoke with Woolard about the job, ESPN.com reported.

Woolard has said he would not comment during the search process on any candidates.

Last June, Marshall accepted the College of Charleston job and was introduced as Charleston's coach at a news conference on June 28. However, he changed his mind the next day on the drive back home and returned as Winthrop's coach.

If Marshall does become USF's next coach, Bozeman, who started 24 games and averaged 9.6 points as a freshman, said he would be happy with the decision.

"Sure, he's a nice guy," Bozeman said. "But I'm staying at USF no matter who they decide on."

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBI4VKJNZE.html

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808

"Sure, he's a nice guy," Bozeman said. "But I'm staying at USF no matter who they decide on."

Love it

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  67

I tell you. This is like living national signing day over and over again. Except instead of 18 year old kids we're waiting on middle-aged men.  Let's hope we don't get "Ingramed". I can't wait until we're moving forward.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

I tell you. This is like living national signing day over and over again. Except instead of 18 year old kids we're waiting on [highlight]middle-aged men[/highlight].  Let's hope we don't get "Ingramed". I can't wait until we're moving forward.

Easy now...he's a few months older than me and [highlight]I'm[/highlight] not middle aged.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

I am so glad that Bozeman wants to stay at USF. He was pretty **** impressive as a freshman this season, so I believe he is going to be a fan favorite in the next few years at USF.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

its nice to have so many young guys getting good experience and playing time...

Saaka, Bozeman, Howard, Verdejo all got very good minutes.  Add in Curry, Holmes, and Jones and we are going to be set at guard for years to come.  

Guest JulmisteForPrez
bring him home  DW!

Yep.

This is why USF hired Woolard.

This is his time to slump or shine.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sorry guys but usf could do better