• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

South Florida, New Mexico could court Marshall

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Head Coach experience+Major Conference experience+Proven Recruiter = more money than USF is willing to spend

Did I fix it for you? I'm just curious who you have in mind, oh Bulliever, the ever-mysterious.

Note: I would love to be able to fullfill the formula above but I just can't see us going after someone like that.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

^^^ Ya, but are we willing to spend the money? Big names cost a lot more and this program needs money thrown into facilities/recruiting budget/luxery budget.

Looking around the teams that usually go and hire a big name don't always end up that much better for it than those who hire a smaller named coach.

Bobby Knight has done wonders for Texas Tech; but can you honestly say it was more than what Beilein did for WVU, or Ben Howland did for Pitt?

Guest JulmisteForPrez

We need to expedite this as much as possible and get one of these top-notch candidates before they are all hired up by other schools.

I'm all for making sure you've made the right decision, but we need to hurry up and make that right decision!

You snooze, you lose!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

$$$ are the big Q.

We'll need to see.

At risk of a few "boos", for these reasons I think Gillen and Doherty might be nice candidates.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928

Im all for Lowery, personally...he WILL be a big name very shortly and recruits know of his success and potential (I assume). He reminds me of a Schiano of basketball and that has to hold some water.

The only thing that concerns me with Gillen is, how for from being washed up is he? Am I way off with that?

Guest JulmisteForPrez
$$$ are the big Q.

We'll need to see.

At risk of a few "boos", for these reasons I think Gillen and Doherty might be nice candidates.

I won't "boo" Gillen myself, but I sure would rather have Doherty over Gillen if it came down to these two guys.

Guest BasketBull.

NCAAB Rumors

Yahoo Rumors

Lobos will talk with Winthrop's Marshall

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 11:29 am EDT

New Mexico athletic director Paul Krebs has received permission from Winthrop to speak with coach Gregg Marshall about the Lobos' coaching vacancy. The Lobos are prepared to start Marshall off at $750,000 per year or higher, a source close to Winthrop said. Marshall currently makes about $224,000 per season, a number Winthrop might try to boost to retain its hot coach.

Krebs is also interested in talking with Southern Illinois' Chris Lowery, Iowa's Steve Alford and UCLA assistant Kerry Keating, sources say.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

I may be the lone guy uneasy about hiring a guy from this level of program and conference.

Head Coach experience+Major Conference experience+Proven Recruiter

I wouldnt say you were the lone guy, i would say a lot of our expectations keep dropping with all the posters that rain on our parade about not being able to afford certain coaches and giving us their "so called" obtainable suggestions who if were the case we should have kept our old ball coach and just saved the money.  

I agree with your "go after calipari" attitude and I am impressed you have that view just like this knee-jerk big city ignorant guy.  But USF in the past has been known to disappoint more than surprise.  I think we are all getting the feeling that this may happen.  i was completely optimistic about this hire a few weeks ago but it going away slowly and I am preparing for an upsetting hire, even though I will absolutey give whoever it is a chance, i have a gut feeling it will be a mid conference unproven guy.  We will see.  

Guest BasketBull.

Have a little faith! It will all work out. Whatever happens, it can't be as bad as it has been for the last 5 years...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

can either recruit in big east territory????