• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you were the AD what would you do with Mac

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

this is exactly why I do not think he should be around next year.  

no recruit is going to play for [highlight]a coach who is in the last year of his contract,[/highlight] with a poor track record, and no talks of a contract extension.  

Mac hasnt improved the team "enough" to even [highlight]serve his last year of his contract[/highlight], let alone talk about contract extensions.  And no recruit is going to say yes to a coach who very likely will not be there next year.  

We should try and find a well known young ex-player who is motivated and getting into coaching, or a successful mid major coach (like mac was, which didnt work out) who both, we can steal for a low price.  If our AD lives up to his hype I have all the confidence in his hiring decisions to find that next good coach for a cheap price.  hopefully the new coach can improve us and bring in a new excitement.  Which will fill seats, get donors and students interested, and eventually have the money to give him the extension he may deserve, in the future.

Do you say uninformed stuff like this just to invite sarcastic comments??

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

I think his remarks are right on.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

I think his remarks are right on.

His remarks may be right on but they don't pertain to our situation...

I was under the impression he signed a 5 year contact. Wouldn't next year be year 5?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

how will a no-name coach fill more seats and bring in more donors?

USF is not a career building job. any decent up and coming coach can see that we don't have the money to support a winning program in the BE just yet (i.e. Grant).  We pay mid major salaries yet we expect them to compete against the best. Would you take a job that pays the same but you would be expected to compete against much better competition?

How will they compete with schools that have budgets multiple times ours? Would you expect them to hit the ground running as far as recruiting goes? In the end we would be in the same situation regardless of who you bring in.

The name may change but the situation remains the same. 16th highest paid coach in the BE + 16th largest budget in the BE + 16th best facilities in the BE = 16th place in the BE.

94, you make some good points but are you telling me there isnt a guy ot there who is up for the challenge?  Or would love to be given the opportunity to coach in the big east and maybe be successful and boosting his career?  Why cant we do what VCU did with Jeff Capel, why cant that happen with us?  Now he is at Oklahoma getting top recruits.  There are guys out there dying to get in and get their names known.  Thats why we need a guy that when you interview him you can tell he has charisma and swagger.  Ask Jim Leyland about swagger, guy coached and loved guys like Barry Bonds and now gettin Gary Sheffield because of swagger.  he claims it is the most underrated quality in sports and coaching (especially recruiting).  I agree 100% with him there.  

and i didnt say a no-name coach, we have one of those now, I said a well known ex player or a successful mid major coach.  believe me i want the big name hire, but i hear so much how we cant afford it.  So lets find the diamond in the rough.  

And trip you highlighted two of my sentences and say they are wrong, but yet they are right.  then you say they dont pertain to our situation.  it would pertain to any teams situation.  Is USF different than anyone else?  Recruits dont want to play for a coach they dont know will be there the next year.  how does that not pertain to our situation???? 

Sometimes you respond just to respond. Why?

PS 94, we arent 16th in the Big East (place-wise) I believe we are like 14, give us some credit  :)

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545

This is probably the unpopular opinion but I would keep him.

I realize the dissapointment from all the fans and I too am dissapointed but I just dont think that we should go out and spend money on a new coach right now.  I am personally eager to see the likes of Aaron Holmes, Amu Sakaa, Solo, and Chris Howard next year.

I think that this team is not a bad team on paper.  The players have already voiced their support for Mac and I am not sure that it is a good idea to just get rid of him.

Just my 2 cents.

lets hire Dennis Rodman  ;D

This is probably the unpopular opinion but I would keep him.

I realize the dissapointment from all the fans and I too am dissapointed but I just dont think that we should go out and spend money on a new coach right now.  I am personally eager to see the likes of Aaron Holmes, Amu Sakaa, Solo, and Chris Howard next year.

I think that this team is not a bad team on paper.  The players have already voiced their support for Mac and I am not sure that it is a good idea to just get rid of him.

Just my 2 cents.

The thing is we all want to win. Last year we heard oh things will be good when jesus and gransberry come. This year we lose Buck and Mattis 2 of our best players. I just dont see it getting better.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Just my opinion, i think if we keep him around soley to save $, we as a university are knowingly throwing away next year.  Recruits arent going to come without stabilty in our leadership, we all know that, except trip.  Its saying lets just ride out the **** storm one more year and deal with it the year after.  I believe that is a horrible way to deal with problems.  

How many recruits does Mac have lined up for next year?