• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Raging Bull-Tony Grier-Book signing,EXCERPTS

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

aragingbullad2.jpg

Store Events - February 22, 7:00 PM

Time: Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:00 PM

Title of Event: TONY GRIER -Popular USF basketball alum Grier will debut his new book, A Raging Bull: Chasing the Big Time, following the basketball program from the very first team in 1970, the beginning of the Sun Dome in 1980, and the journey to the Big East Conference, with all the challenges and successes of all the players and coaches. Grier was known for his insight and articulate commentary as a player, and his book promises to please any fan of local sports, Tampa history, or behind the scenes memoir.

Inkwood Books

216 South Armenia Avenue

Tampa, Florida 33609

(813) 253-2638

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996
  • Days Won:  0

I'd like to add that to my collection...do we know how much its gonna cost???

• Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797

Brad:

You wanted  to hear about the Radenko story and my involvement in it.....well Tony wrote an entire chapter about that so be sure to read up.

:o;)

Normal

Go here to purchase the book or to get more information.

$24.95

The first comprehensive USF basketball program overview, A Raging Bull: Chasing the Big Time, chronicles the program starting in the early seventies. More than a memoir, more than a coming-of-age story, more than a history, this book offers personalized insights and life-wisdom framed by the transition of a college player to a member of the larger community.

If ever times and events came together to enable a young man’s dreams and reward his efforts, Tony Grier’s life is an example of it. Tony was raised in Port Chester, New York public housing, labeled as learning-disabled, and sent to a “special” school. The future could have been grim.

Through a teacher’s special gift, his passion for reading was ignited. When a basketball court was constructed, Tony watched, not realizing that the sport and his love of books would lead him out of the projects and into the world of college basketball.

Fighting the stigmas of poverty, race, and scholastic inadequacy, Tony developed the academic and basketball skills to earn a scholarship at the University of South Florida when the program was young. He became a star player under the illustrious Lee Rose.

Tony researched the program from its earliest days, sought out former players and coaches, and documented little known and seldom remembered facts about the past of USF hoops. This is not a book of stats. It is a personalized history that tells more about the ‘why’ than the ‘what.’ Tony’s teammates, former and current USF Bulls, and essential program boosters share their memories on these pages.

Tony returned to USF and completed his degree in 1984, part of the larger narrative of where the program is coming from and where it is moving to. In reading his story, we remember that those individuals and institutions that have overcome the greatest challenges are those we most admire. Tony and the University of South Florida share the victory…

Updated cover:

9781592992409.jpg

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

For those of you who went to the Pinellas Alumni Chapter's basketball social the other day, Tony was in attendance and spoke to the crowd. Hopefully some of you were able to attend.

The book signing has changed to:

March 27th @ 6:00 PM....Week of the Final Four...

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  1,158

There is also one tentatively planned for the final home basketball game in the Corral during the Bulls Club pregame.  Sorry for those that don't have access to the pregame but that's what he requested.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  56

It was actually mentioned that it might be a good venue. As I told Brad I'd rather have something in the Sun Dome maybe at a table as you enter for "all" who may be interested...A delay in communication killed that deal...Anyway, the book can be ordered via any of the book sites like B & N, Amazon and I believe here and of course www.aragingbull.com has a link to the publisher as well...I'm on my way to visit with our first head coach Don Williams who is 86 years old....I enjoy my sits with him and today he and Mrs. Williams will read some of A Raging Bull for the first time....Now that's what it's all about!...Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797

Great job Tony!  I'm waiting for my autographed copy.   ;)

Normal