• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lawrence McCoy, Offensive Tackle

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy GoUSFBulls.com

Lawrence McCoy, Offensive Tackle, 6-6, 265, Valdosta, Ga., Valdosta

Becomes the third Valdosta High graduate to play for the Bulls, joining tight end Cedric Hill and defensive back Carlton Williams...Participated in Georgia’s North-South All-Star Game, an honor distinguishing him as one of the top 35 players in the South half of Georgia...Started at left tackle since midway through his junior year...5A all-region choice...Led his team as a senior in every grade for offensive linemen, including pancakes...Very athletic with long arms providing a wide wingspan...Also lettered in wrestling...Coached by Rick Tomberlin.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,672
  • Days Won:  29

Seem to have a great pipeline through here ... and hope he can provide help/depth in 2007. Most NEEDED position now and next year!

Go BULLS !!!

Courtesy of USFNation.com

Biography:

Valsosta High School, GA:McCoy is an athletic 6-foot 6 265 pound offensive tackle who was recently named First team All-Region.

“He’s got the body, the speed and the athletic ability to be something special. He’s a true team player. He’s a tough kid, an athletic kid and an outstanding football player."  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

left tackle to protect the blind side, then run to the left

header.jpg

Valdosta’s McCoy signs with USF

By Christian Malone

The Valdosta Daily Times

VALDOSTA — Lawrence McCoy loves the thought of playing Division I football.

He will get to do that in the fall.

McCoy, Valdosta High’s left tackle, signed a letter of intent Wednesday to play football for South Florida. He has received a full scholarship to the Tampa-based school.

McCoy will get a chance to play for an up-and-coming program at South Florida, and the Bulls will be getting the best offensive line prospect to come out of Valdosta High in the last few years.

“I’m very excited,” McCoy said. “I’m looking forward to going down there and playing.”

South Florida, a Big East program that has been on the rise the last few years, is developing a Valdosta High pipeline. Three years ago, All-State free safety Carlton Williams signed with the Bulls and talked teammate Cedric Hill, an All-State tight end, into joining him at USF. Now Williams and Hill will be joined by another Wildcat.

“I talk to Cedric and Carlton all the time,” McCoy said. “They hosted me when I made my visit. It’s good to already know a couple of the players.”

“Coach (Jim) Leavitt said that one school in Georgia he wanted to recruit was Valdosta,” Valdosta head coach Rick Tomberlin said. “We’ve already got Cedric Hill and Carlton Williams there, and now they’re getting a good lineman in Lawrence.”

McCoy has the one thing that every school looks for in a lineman: size. At 6-foot-6, 270 pounds, and with good mobility for a lineman, McCoy was attractive to South Florida. The Bulls plan to keep him at left tackle.

“Coach Leavitt told me several times that Lawrence was their No. 1 recruit on the offensive line. He was the lineman they wanted the most,” Tomberlin said.

“I got a lot of letters from schools, but I could tell South Florida wanted me the most,” McCoy said. “They called and sent me mail all the time. I felt the most comfortable there. When I went down to visit, the players welcomed me and treated me like I was already a member of the team. I feel like I will fit in real well there.”

During the signing Wednesday morning at Valdosta High, both Leavitt and offensive line coach Mike Simmonds phoned in to welcome McCoy to the Bulls’ family.

McCoy said he is also looking forward to playing his home games at Raymond James Stadium, which USF shares with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“I played in a great high school stadium here (Cleveland Field at Bazemore-Hyder Stadium), and now I get to play in one of the best college stadiums,” McCoy said. “That is a great place to play.”

McCoy will be the first member of his family to go college. He plans to become a dentist.

“Lawrence is a super young man, and we’re real happy for him to get this opportunity,” Tomberlin said. “Everyone who knows Lawrence likes him. I’m real excited for Lawrence. He’s going to a great football program, and I think he’ll really do well down there.”

McCoy started two years on Valdosta’s offensive line. He received All-Region honors last season.

“I loved playing here. I already miss it,” McCoy said. “It was hard work, but I enjoyed it. I liked the coaches, and my teammates.”

McCoy is the first Valdosta offensive lineman to get a Division I scholarship since Ashley Henderson signed with Georgia Tech in 1998. Henderson, who also played left tackle, is now McCoy’s position coach at Valdosta. Tomberlin was also a Division I lineman, playing at Florida State.

McCoy was the only Valdosta High player to sign a letter of intent on Wednesday. Tomberlin says a few more players could wind up signing later.

“This is the first day that players can sign with colleges, but they can sign at any time now,” Tomberlin said. “We expect to have some more guys sign later.”

xl

Paul Leavy/The Valdosta Daily Times Lawrence McCoy signs his letter of intent with his father, Lawrence McCoy Sr., mother Tammy Fulton and brother Abraham Fulton seated with him as Valdosta High School principal Brett Stanton, VHS head football coach Rick Tomberlin, and coach Ashley Henderson look on Wednesday morning at VHS.

None / The Valdosta Daily Times

Link