• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Battle For The Basement

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Battle for the Basement comes through Tampa.... Yippie....

Battle For The Basement!

Posted January 21, 2007 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Jan 21, 2007 at 08:38 PM

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Since the University of South Florida has struggled to draw big crowds and the marketing department has been the target of fans – and even one coach recently – here’s an idea to promote Wednesday’s Rutgers-USF men’s basketball game: Battle For The Basement!

That’s because the loser between USF (10-10, 1-5 Big East) and Rutgers (8-12, 1-5) will gain sole possession of last place in the Big East Conference. Sunday’s 82-58 loss to No. 20 Notre Dame wasn’t a shock by any means, but it was somewhat surprising the ease of the Fighting Irish’s victory. USF led 24-21 only to watch Notre Dame go on a 24-4 run. Then when USF closed within 48-38, Notre Dame responded with a 17-2 run. The loss marked a not-so-sweet 16 straight conference road losses for USF.

THE LEPRECHAUN LEGION: In Wednesday’s loss at West Virginia, the Mountaineers’ students chanted “LSU†to USF center Kentrell Gransberry. Sunday, Notre Dame’s student section – the Leprechaun Legion – was much more original. Each time Gransberry went to the free throw line, they chanted something different. “One more sandwich†was their favorite early on.

But as Gransberry struggled at the line, they would chant his free throw stats: “One for eight,†“Two for nine.†Then when Gransberry hit consecutive free throws, they chanted “You’re on fire.†Then, of course, Gransberry missed.

Gransberry said he didn’t hear the Irish students, all dressed in green T-shirts behind USF’s basket in the second half. “It’s all mental,†said Gransberry, who was 3-for-12 from the line and is 6-for-20 in his past two games. “I have to do a better job concentrating and taking my time. I didn’t hear the crowd.†USF coach Robert McCullum knew better, though. “He’s obviously better than that,†McCullum said. “I’m sure the students … I think that affected him. You’re looking right into it when you shoot.â€Â

BENCH BLUES: USF sophomore Jesus Verdejo had two points, the Bulls’ only production off the bench. That’s 18 points from USF’s reserves in six Big East games. Verdejo, who averaged 15 points in his first three games at the Duel of the Desert Tournament in Las Vegas, is averaging only 7.1 points in USF’s past nine games.

“I’m comfortable with the team,†Verdejo said. “In Vegas nobody knew me, but now I feel other teams are scouting me. I’m just trying to do what I can. If I don’t have the ability to score, I have to do other things - rebound, play defense.â€Â

Freshman Amu Saaka, who suffered an ankle injury against West Virginia and sat out the final 38 minutes, played four minutes at Notre Dame, but then returned to the bench. “After a couple of minutes, he couldn’t do it,†McCullum said. “At that point, we didn’t want to take away from having him getting ready for Wednesday night.†Senior PG Chris Capko played 13 minutes, the most he’s played since 13 minutes Dec. 17 against Norfolk State. He missed eight consecutive games with an ankle injury.

(0) Comments

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/