• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hope yall enjoyed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73
  • Days Won:  0

Yall are very welcome.  I can't imagine there being too many racist people that you ran into... at least that were locals.  Birmingham has a *history* of racism, but much has changed since then.  I've lived in Birmingham all my life, but I've traveled throughout much of the south and all over the nation... to me, Birmingham is one of the least racist cities I've come across.  If you ran into many racist folks, they probably were not Birmingham folks... that's not to say they may not have been from this state, but not Birmingham most likely.  

As for Legion Field, it really is a pretty run-down venue.  There have been several improvements made over the last several years (hard to believe, I know).  There are talks that in the near future it will be repainted and such.  Concessions have always been a big complaint among UAB folks.  Normally not a big selection and normally not many concession stands even open.  I understand there may have even been beer sold at the bowl game (something which never happens for UAB games).   In any event, we're hopeful that we can someday get a new oncampus stadium... but the BoT aren't likely to be supportive of such an idea.  

BTW, did any of you get to try Jim 'N Nicks BBQ?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  66

I didn't run into any racism at all but that word has lost some of its meaning. For example, if I say, "the Legion Field area looks unsafe I mean just look around"  there are people that will say "What is that supposed to mean? Too black for you?".

People were very friendly; a woman at the airport even gave me a free newspaper after she closed :)

And they did serve beer from cans,  I would have thought there would have been taps but if they don't have that for UAB that may explain it. I know Alabama has some tough beer laws (nothing over 6% I think?) which is rough for me.

--Joey

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461

I second the good time in Birmingham thought. I also add that you have some hotties at the UAB medical school/center. I would've liked to have seen more of them, but I understand it is Christmas break.  ;)

The only complaint I have is concessions, and that has been said. Three beer lines for 32,000 people--a little ridiculous. Oh, and they ran out of toilet paper before the game started. That was fun. I actually like the bench seats though. Old school.

Great time though, I like the 5 Points district. Small but has character. OH, you should convince someone to use that castle-looking building you have downtown for a Medieval Times location (http://www.medievaltimes.com/) That would be great!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

I was in section 34

the racism i ran into was in cabs

while taking a cab to dreamland on fri night i asked the driver where legion field was his answer was make sure you take a cab it's all blacks in that area

taking a cab back to the hotel on fri night cab driver was middle eastern raised in NYC but is attending UAB. Was asking us about FL was saying how uncomfortable he is in bham as people tell him he doesnt belong there and much worse....

read a story in sundays bham newspaper from an older lady who grew up in bham then moved to VA and now is back. She was speaking of how racism is present in the city now it's just underground

sorry can't say that left a very good impression of the city

did try jim n nicks on sat night

service was awful as they admited they werenot prepared for the USF fans that came in

took 1.5 hrs to get our food

though when the food arrived it was awesome and IMO better than dreamland

they also took a big portion of our bill off for having to wait so long

I told you... Jim 'N Nicks is definitely probably my favorite BBQ place.  I've never run into trouble as far as service, but I normally am only eating on just a regular day where they aren't necessarily swamped with tourists and visitors.  

As far as racism, I'm not sure the cab driver was all that incorrect.  The middle eastern guy probably has run into a bit of racism... especially after 9/11, but I've come across that in many places.  As far as the lady from VA, I'm not sure how she can speak about how much racism there is if it is indeed simply "underground" as she suggests.

^underground meaning it's not as openly blatent as when she was younger in the 1960's

sorry we have plenty of cabbies here in Chicago from the middle east and other places...never hear themcomplain about being told they don't belong and should get out of their city

also the cabbie who told us the area around legion is dangerous because thats wear all the blacks are....just too much for me

im sure plenty of people are great but it only takes a few to ruin it

If it only takes a few racists to ruin it, there must not be any city that you like.  There are more than a few in every city in every corner of this nation and every nation on the face of the earth.

not looking to argue...just telling you my experience

have visited many other cities and never had that type of experience in a matter of hours....

• Content Count:  22

205 PHOTOS!!!  Need to relive the game???? ... here is your chance!!  

I tried to upload them to the gallery posted but I am not sure how to work that gallery and I could not get logged into it.  Plus I have 205 Photos and did not want to "hog" the site.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/brendakenny/usfalumni

I do not put any sort of "lock" on the photos and I am more than happy to share the photos with everyone so print copies if you would like.  

Be sure to let me know if any photos make it any place famous!!!  

Enjoy the photos!    

B.