• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Civil Rights Museum Closed on Friday and Saturday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I am in the process of setting my itinerary for Birmingham and I have heard from numerous sources that the Civil Rights Museum is a must. Both ECU and USF teams will be touring the museum on Thursday, and I was hoping to go on Friday, but they are closed. Bravo Birmingham, excellent way to display one of your city's (few) gems to approximately 10,000 out-of-state visitors... >:(

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Probably related to the holiday, but it is a bit shortsighted...

I can understand the Holiday, but Saturday, Sunday, and Monday aren't enough? You have 10,000 people coming to a town that has squat to do and you close one of the only indoor attractions. If it wasn't supposed to be raining, the Birmingham Zoo would be an option, but it looks like the weather will be erasing that activity as well.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73
  • Days Won:  0

Here are some places... some you may have already heard about, but if you havent:

- Vulcan Park (Good place to go for some history on Birmingham... not sure if they're open or not.  The observation platform is outdoors, but there's a museum/gallery that's indoors as well.)  

- Birmingham Museum of Art (one of the largest municipal art museums in the South).

- Shopping (there's tons of it... just ask if you're interested)

- Alabama Sports Hall of Fame (obviously alot of UAT stuff, but all kinds of other athletes from the state of Alabama).

- Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame (Birmingham was a big jazz place, just never got the recognition like New Orleans.  The City of Birmingham actually used to be larger than Atlanta, Nashville, etc etc. and has alot of musical history).

- 16th Street Baptist Church (site of the infamous church bombing that killed 4 little girls and catalyzed the Civil Rights Movement...across from the Civil Rights Institute... I think some days they offer free tours inside).  

Some of these places may be subject to closing as well, so you may want to call and check.  I'm just trying to throw out some indoor activities that might interest some of you.  Just a few ideas. I'll post more if I can remember any.

I appreciate the help. I am planning on spending Saturday night at the Riverchase Galleria. I was really just looking for something to do between 8 am and 12 pm, in between my arrival and the Kickoff Luncheon

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73

I appreciate the help. I am planning on spending Saturday night at the Riverchase Galleria. I was really just looking for something to do between 8 am and 12 pm, in between my arrival and the Kickoff Luncheon

The Alabama Sports Hall of Fame and the Birmingham Museum of Art are very close to the Sheraton...actually closer than the Civil Rights Institute (if you're interested in either of those).  The Galleria is awesome... was just there tonight as a matter of fact.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I was reading about the Galleria today.  Sounds like a really awesome mall, and that's coming from someone that doesn't really like them much.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I'm going to be taking a tour of the Civitan International Research Center on Friday morning on the UAB campus.  It's one of the leading research centers to help those with developmental disabilities.

I belong to the North Tampa Civitan Club and it will be great to see what we have been supporting.

http://civitan.org

http://www.circ.uab.edu/