• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

For anyone thats know.Ive heard a rumor that Voss ran slow 40 times at the camps so teams would look at him as a real Qb.Is Voss really that fast?

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563

For anyone thats know.Ive heard a rumor that Voss ran slow 40 times at the camps so teams would look at him as a real Qb.Is Voss really that fast?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

What was the speed?

I think more into game day stats ... not too worried about QB Speed.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

I dont know if this is the reason for a high 40 time because I dont know when he ran his 40 but Voss just had knee surgey to repair some issues (small ones) that he was playing with ALL season.

Quarterback Alton Voss, a senior, damaged his knee during the third game of the season.

"Alton wasn't really Alton from the third game on," said Fulmer. "We spent eight games trying to protect him -- a lot of our preparation was built around how to keep Alton from getting beaten on."

www.gulfhigh.org/fulmer_relives.html

Alton Voss was a little nervous about hosting a local celebrity.

Forget he already was orally committed to USF. Jim Leavitt was the first Division I head coach to walk through his mother's living room.

The Gulf quarterback, on crutches and recovering from last Tuesday's knee surgery, wanted to make a good impression, even phoning a USF assistant to see what Leavitt liked to drink.

"He's a Pepsi man," Voss said.

Leavitt met with Voss more than an hour Sunday night talking about football, knee injuries, housing and redshirting.

"I was the first recruit he did a home visit on," said Voss, referring to the NCAA's contact period, which began Sunday. "Everything I asked about he answered."

That includes Voss' knee injury, a torn lateral release and partially torn meniscus in his right knee. Voss was injured during Gulf's 23-12 victory at Citrus in Week 3. The knee "popped" out of place four times that night and got worse as the season wore on. He was faced with two options."If I scoped it I would be 10 to 14 days (to recover)," Voss said. "But they had to repair it and that was four to six weeks (of recovery). ...I was playing good enough to get by week by week."

Voss played the whole season. His knee would lock up mornings after games and he would rehab the knee most of the week just so he could run on Friday nights. The only game he missed was against Ocala Trinity Catholic on Oct. 20.

Coach Jay Fulmer did his best to keep the injury quiet.

"I knew (about the injury), but it wasn't something I was willing to discuss with people." Fulmer said. I didn't want people writing stories about it and taking pot shots at his knee."

Fulmer said Voss should be at full strength within six weeks.

Voss also will have the pinky on his left, nonthrowing hand evaluated Wednesday to see if he needs surgery.

Leavitt assured Voss the knee injury was not a concern for USF, that other kids had similar injuries and recovered fully.

Voss also asked if Leavitt thought redshirting was a good idea. Voss committed to USF to play quarterback before the emergence of Matt Grothe. Leavitt advised Voss to fight to play, that coaches would evaluate him and determine if he should take a redshirt year.

Overall, the visit went well and Voss said he still is committed to USF.

"(Leavitt's) one of the top coaches you could say," Voss said. "They just came off the tough win against West Virginia. The only time I've seen him was in his practice uniform. He came to the house in a suit. He looked professional. It was cool."

pqasb.pqarchiver.com/spti...27s+future

Talk about one tough kid