• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Alumni Association

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

i am in the Alumni Associaiton so back down....

sorry, I get very defensive on this issue.  Plus, I really don't see what people want for $40.  If we gave stuff for the $40, their would be no money for the association.  

I think that part of that problem is that many people don't understand the advocacy the organization provides, and how the $40 is spent.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am in the Alumni Associaiton so back down....

sorry, I get very defensive on this issue.  Plus, I really don't see what people want for $40.  If we gave stuff for the $40, their would be no money for the association.  

I think that part of that problem is that many people don't understand the advocacy the organization provides, and how the $40 is spent.

As an active member of the Alumni Connections Team (a subcommittee of the A.A. Board of Directors), I can tell you that we really don't get a lot of questions about how the money is spent.  We do get a lot of WIIFM questions...

We try to tell alumni that being a member helps re-connect them to USF, through various events and mailings, as well as the USF Magazine.  It helps increase the value of their degree by expanding the reach of the A.A.  They support several important scholarship programs.  They do get some personal benefits, such as discounts at several places.

In general, though, if people are really being that selfish there isn't a lot you can do except wait a little longer.

Oh, and a lot of people don't have the same affinity for USF.  Yes, they have their degree -- but maybe their experience was not good for some reason... It can be hard to overcome that negative perception.

Finally, I will say that winning athletics programs can be a great way to make people want to do more to reconnect to their alma mater.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

maybe if the alumni association put together some better benefits other then a discount at the book store, bulls outfitters, etc....

how about some ticket packages, or discount on individual game tickets, etc

"Ask not what your University can do for you, but what you can do for your University."

You're right, the tangible selling points are little if you just pay your $40 and reap benefits. It'd be nice if people though in terms of the fact that if their degree, and likely current earning potential came from USF, it may make sense to give back.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  295

It amazes me that people only look at things and need to ask WIIFM..(whats in it for me)...I find it funny that the Alumni members get a discount at things like the book store and other places and yet the student has to pay full price..whats wrong with that picture...

Nothing.  Chances are, it is daddy and mommy's money that the student is spending anyway.  I just read an article (USF Magazine?) that shows that the average college student spends much more on alchohol than on school books.  There are not many poor college students.  There are many who don't live the lifestyle they judge that they are entitled to.

just goes to show you that they charge to much for alchohol :'( you need to compare apples to apples..you could say the same for food/housing,etc...and IF mommy or daddy is supporting the student I would bet it is not the full load...and even if they were wouldnt it be nice to pass that discount along to that parent that is supporting there childs education...there are lots of university that when a student graduates they are Alumni members and have no charge ..they rely on donations only. I see more poor college students then rich ones that is for sure...lifestyles have change alot over time thank goodness and I think we as parents have supported that change..I know for myself I want my son to have it easier and better then I had....so many times it is alot easier for an Alumni to write that check but my hat goes off to the likes that go the extra yard and volunteers and puts the hours in at attending meetings and are willing to serve and organize projects that help the university..the

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Lots of good posts.  Bottom line is become a member today.  Promote membership to your friends who are alums and lets make sure the Bulls are well represented across the country!!

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  295

Lots of good posts.  Bottom line is become a member today.  Promote membership to your friends who are alums and lets make sure the Bulls are well represented across the country!!

Go Bulls!

hear hear...and as always GO BULLS

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Purchase a membership as a Xmas gift for an alumni friend or family member.  Call Merrell Dickey @ 800-299-BULL

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695

Be a member and stay a member and always be connected.