• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Yusef Baker - 3 pt assassin??????

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Bluefield Falls to MSU - October 31, 2006

By DAVE MORRISON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Beckley, W.Va. -- The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Mountain State lost nine players from last year’s team, had arguably its best player injured in a preseason scrimmage and might have less size than it did a year ago.

But Tuesday’s 105-83 breeze by Bluefield Tuesday looked for all the world like those high-scoring, extended-run-producing MSU teams of the recent past.

Well, it was Halloween.

Yusef Baker came disguised as a long-range assassin, scoring 21 points, grabbing 15 rebounds and hitting on 3-of-4 three pointers. This from a guy who made just two treys all of last season.

Who knew?

“I’d been working on it,” Baker said. “(Assistant) coach (Dave Barksdale) saw me shooting and told me not to be afraid to shoot the three in games. I always knew I could do it.”

“Coach Barksdale’s been telling me for a year-and-a-half that Yusef was a shooter,” coach Bob Bolen said. “He’s seen it in the one-on-one sessions he does. I guess I’m a believer now.”

Jarvis Jackson came to the party as the classic MSU point guard — integral in the Cougars’ offense. Jackson had 13 points and dished out nine assists.

MSU always has outstanding shooters. With Paul Wright out for the foreseeable future with a dislocated elbow, Ralph Legg, a point by trade, has moved over to shooting guard. He had 19 points and six assists.

Renardo “Slim” Dixon, Tyrice Watkins and Adron Marshall came as the perfect role players. Dixon had 16 points, Marshall 13 and Watkins 10, six of which came during a decisive 17-0 run late in the first half that broke what had been a 33-33 tie.

“Tyrice Watkins gave us a lot of energy on that run,” Bolen said. “He pulled down a couple of rebounds on the defensive end, made a couple of big shots ... he was a big key.”

“I guess it was just time for them to make a run,” Bluefield coach Jason Gillespie said. “We seemed to droop a little bit after they got a couple of baskets. I wouldn’t say we backed down, but we didn’t meet their intensity as we did earlier in the game.”

Curtis Dixon led the Rams with 21 points. Robert Sharpe had 14 and James Chapman 12.

Mountain State led by as double figures most of the second half and led by as many as 33 with six minutes left. A total of 14 players played for MSU.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do, but I’m pleased with this win,” Bolen said. “That was a pretty good team we beat tonight.”

So was Baker, who thinks this team can be as explosive as the team he played on last year.

“We might have been a little more skilled last year,” Baker said. “But this year we have quicker guards and we seem to play well as a team. These guys play hard.”

Gillespie was impressed.

“I was a graduate assistant at a Division I school in the OVC (Ohio Valley Conference),” the former Tennessee Tech GA said. “And these guys could compete in that conference. We won’t see a team this athletic in our conference. It will definitely slow down for us in that respect. Bob (Bolen) doesn’t rebuild, he reloads.”

MSU (3-0) faces North Carolina Central Thursday at the Armory at 7 p.m. Bluefield (0-1) will host Kentucky Christian in its home opener Friday starting at 7:30 p.m. at The Dome.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

Jarvis Jackson came to the party as the classic MSU point guard  integral in the Cougars’ offense. Jackson had 13 points and dished out nine assists.

Why does Jarvis Jackson sound familiar? Was there a player here with that name or a similar one?

There were: Hayven Jackson, Altron Jackson...

don't know of a Jarvis Jackson

We were recruiting Jarvis James in Football last year ???

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

There were: Hayven Jackson, Altron Jackson...

don't know of a Jarvis Jackson

We were recruiting Jarvis James in Football last year ???

I believe that was Javarris James ....

Found him ...

Jackson, Jarvis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1991-94

Chattahoochee, FL/Chattahoochee HS

;)

good catch on the "javarris".  I've heard so many announcers call him Jarvis, that I figured Javarris was a typo.