• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Things to do/eat in BHM

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73
  • Days Won:  0

Another local-type fast-food eatery some of you might want to try... especially if you're on more of a budget.  Milos.  It's a famous establishment around metro Birmingham that started with one location and now probably has a dozen or so around town.  It's burgers, fries, chicken fingers, etc.... but it's unique.  The burgers have a unique, special brown sauce that goes on them.  They also pile on some cut up, slightly sauteed onions.  They are also pretty regionally famous for their sweet tea.  You can get it, as a matter of fact, by the gallon at most grocery stores within a pretty good area up here.  But if you don't like SWEET, sweet tea, then you might just want to go with a soft drink or unsweet tea so you can sweeten it yourself.  But don't get me wrong, their sweet tea is gooood.  And of course, like most such places, it's fairly reasonably priced.  

A combo with a hamburger, fries, and medium drink is $4.50

A combo with a cheeseburger, fries, and a medium drink is $4.85

There are a few other items on the menu as I mentioned (like chicken fingers and such), but the burgers and tea are what they're famous for.  Just throwing the option out there.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh... and also, if you want the best bowl of Hot and Sour Soup you've ever had, go to New China Town Restaurant (it's in 5 Points as well).  Great food and very reasonably priced.

A few more "ethnic" places nearby to UAB/5 Points:

- Sabor Tropical (Peruvian restaurant with some native Peruvian dishes as well as some traditional Mexican dishes) [5 Points South]

- Surin West (Thai restaurant with a great sushi bar) [5 Points South]

- Curry in a Hurry (Indian food chain... somre of you may know of this one) [5 Points South]

- Fromaggio's (good Italian place) [uAB Campus]

- Al's Mediterranean Grille (extremely popular Mediterranean restaurant on UAB's campus... open 24hrs a day)

- Fat Sam's Substation (another popular campus location... not really a "nice" atmosphere unless you like alot of smoke, but has the best philly cheese steaks I've ever tasted... and yes, I've had the real ones from Philly... also lots of other Greek/Mediterranean dishes)

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

The burgers have a unique, special brown sauce that goes on them.

Mmmmmm.........brown sauce.

The Fish Market is another Southside restaurant that you guys should check out.  I know, I know... you're from the coast yourselves and you're thinking that Birmingham can't possibly have great seafood being so far inland, but that'd be very wrong.  George Saris (the restaurant owner) pays big bucks to have FRESH seafood flown into Birmingham every morning before the restaurant opens.  It's an outstanding restaurant with VERY reasonable prices.  He's a greek guy so it has a greek influence in much of it's cooking.

Here's a good site that you guys can use as a reference.  It lists alot of the fancier restaurants downtown, in 5 Points, and in Lakeview.   If you click on them, you can go to their websites and read a little into what they're like and see a menu.  Many are ones that I've already mentioned, but not all are.

http://www.birminghammenus.com/southside.html

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21

i heard theres good nightlife..anyone know of some good clubs there ? and also theirs another bulletin about everyone meeting up at dreamland on friday night for dinner..but it was split between there and jim n nicks..so im pretty sure either place you go will prob be pretty packed with bulls fans...yay yaya... GO BULLS hope to see everyone there..

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

First of all, thanks for UABinBHM for all of the information on the city.  I need some more help though.  Do you know some bars in close walking distance from the Courtyard Marriot?

First of all, thanks for UABinBHM for all of the information on the city.  I need some more help though.  Do you know some bars in close walking distance from the Courtyard Marriot?

Sorry, Joe, there really aren't any.  But the hotel is one block from the Trolley which runs to Five Points.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

That is close enough for me,  Thanks Jim, I was expecting Uab to chime in.............

Sorry Joe... been busy lately fighting the evil empire of UAT and the UA BOT  >:(