• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football: Owls up for challenge of '07

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

Football: Owls up for challenge of '07

By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

BOCA RATON  After last season's 52-6 loss to Florida International in the last game of the season, Florida Atlantic players were so disgusted they refused to watch the film of the game in the days and weeks that followed when morale was low.

This year, after ending the season on a high note with a 31-0 win against FIU on Saturday, the players can't wait for 2007.

"Last year I didn't watch the game until March or April, but I'll be watching it tomorrow," FAU junior defensive end Josh Pinnick said Saturday after the Owls finished the 2006 season 5-7. "This will be like a slingshot into the off-season. We'll be ready and loaded for next season."

Much like they did in 2006, the Owls will have their work cut out for them in 2007.

After playing four games against teams from BCS conferences this season, the Owls will face five such teams next season.

FAU will play Oklahoma State, Minnesota, Kentucky, South Florida and Florida - all teams that are bowl-eligible this season.

Owls coach Howard Schnellenberger already has done the math.

"It's 20 percent tougher just on numbers, but I think we'll be more than 20 percent better than we were at this year's opener." Schnellenberger said, alluding to the fact the Owls' fifth non-conference game this season was against Division I-AA Southern Utah.

Next year there will be no such breather.

But the Owls will be in a better position to face those teams and their Sun Belt Conference opponents.

FAU loses only four starters to graduation - offensive linemen Nello Faulk and Antes Perkins, fullback Aaron Sanchez and cornerback Rickey Bethel.

With one position to fill, the Owls' defense could be formidable next season.

"I'm delighted with the defense," Schnellenberger said. "They were the most experienced part of the team and played like the most experienced part of the team. They kept us in some games we didn't win."

On offense, FAU will look for more improvement from freshman quarterback Rusty Smith, who started the last three games of the season and played well after struggling and losing the starting job after the opener at Clemson.

"I truly thought he would be ready for the opening game, but it turned out he wasn't," Schnellenberger said. "That was a bad decision on my part."

Smith wasn't the only player who struggled in the early part of the season. FAU was outscored 192-20 in its games against Clemson, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and South Carolina and was 0-4.

But playing in those games helped the team when it entered conference play, as it went 5-3 down the stretch.

"It's been a wild journey," Sanchez said. "I'm not used to losing, but that's going to help the program in the future. Playing those big teams helped us out tremendously."

Tough road

FAU's non-conference schedule for 2007:

Date Opponent

Sept. 8 at Oklahoma State

Sept. 15 MINNESOTA

Sept. 22 at Kentucky

Sept. 29 USF

Nov. 17 at Florida