• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumor alert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Big trade possibly in the works:

3 way trade between Boston, KC, Seattle

Boston trades away

Johnny Jesus Damon

BY Kim

Gets

Carlos Beltran

Prospect

Seattle Trades away

Freddy Garcia

Prospect (cha something)

Gets

Kim

Damon

KC trades away

Beltran

Gets

Garcia

Red sox would have to eat part of Kim's salary, but i still love the deal as Beltran is a major upgrade to damon, both in the field and at bat.   Don't get me wrong, i love damon, but man, damon has been off in the field this year and his bat has been quiet.  Beltran will be a 40/40 guy...  no brainer... imho.

just heard this deal on both ESPN and ESPN news so it has some merit, but still in the rumor stage.  

Red Sox are denying this rumor.. sounds eerily familiar to an off season denial.

From the Boston Herald

Beltran rumor strikes out

By Jeff Horrigan/ Red Sox Notebook

Saturday, May 15, 2004

TORONTO - General manager Theo Epstein said there is no truth to a report out of Seattle that the Red Sox [stats, schedule] have discussed a three-team trade with the Mariners and Kansas City Royals that would land Carlos Beltran in Boston.

The trade rumor, which was reported by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, said the Sox would send Johnny Damon [stats, news] and Byung-Hyun Kim [stats, news] to the Mariners, who would trade pitcher Freddy Garcia and minor league prospect Cha Seung Baek to the Royals. Kansas City would then supposedly send impending free agent outfielder Beltran to the Sox.

``It's not true,'' Epstein said before last night's 9-3 Red Sox win over Toronto. ``I try to touch base with as many teams as possible, but there's nothing to that one.''

Damon, however, wondered if there was a sliver of truth behind it.

``I've always been involved in trade rumors because everyone needs leadoff hitters and center fielders but any time Beltran's name is involved, anything's possible,'' he said. ``Everyone knows Beltran is going to be the free agent jewel (in the offseason) and people may want to get a jump on him. And nobody wants the Yankees to get him.''

Damon was also involved in trade rumors involving Beltran and Garcia last season that proved to be baseless, but the uncertainty of his future played a factor in his decision to sell his Dedham home.

``Right now, everything is just rumors and that's part of the game,'' he said. ``You try to block 'em out but that can be tough sometimes.''

Nomar report denied

The Sox adamantly denied an Internet report that claimed Nomar Garciaparra [stats, news] was suffering from a tear in the Achilles tendon sheath rather than a strained tendon. The fan Web site, citing ``sources with direct daily contact'' with Garciaparra and his uncle, Victor Garciaparra, claimed the injury was more severe than the tendinitis the shortstop and team have been reporting to the media.

``It's not an accurate report,'' Epstein said. ``The injury was as diagnosed. Early on, there was a fluid buildup in the area of the sheath but, no, there was no tear and there is no tear.''

Manager Terry Francona scoffed at the report and was reluctant to discuss it, for fear that it would lend credence to it.

``I'd be giving it more credibility than it deserves,'' he said. ``If I say more, I give someone credibility that has none.''

Garciaparra, who was struck in the back of his right heel by a hit ball in batting practice on March 5, has been making slow but steady progress, but is likely at least two weeks away from returning.

He took batting practice and fielded grounders yesterday in Boston and is expected to work out under simulated game conditions today and tomorrow. . . .

Trot Nixon [stats, news], meanwhile, is scheduled to return to designated hitter duties in extended spring training games in Fort Myers Monday after spending nearly a week in Boston dealing with a strained quadriceps. Nixon said the slightly herniated disk in his back, which forced him to miss spring training, is no longer an issue.

Arroyo gets shot

Bronson Arroyo [stats, news] will officially replace the demoted Kim in the starting rotation today, when he opposes former Cy Young Award winner Pat Hentgen at SkyDome. The right-handed Arroyo made four starts while Kim was rehabbing his shoulder, but he hasn't started since May 1. Even though he's been battling the flu, Arroyo said he's anxious to return to the mound.

``It's an opportunity that doesn't come along too often,'' he said. ``I hope I can run with it.''

Under normal circumstances, Arroyo said he'd anticipate having no problem throwing 100 pitches today, but he's not sure how his aching body will react.

``I was feeling like death warmed over earlier in the week,'' Arroyo said.

Kim, who was optioned to the minors this week after consecutive dreadful starts, didn't show much improvement in his first outing with Pawtucket last night.

The sidewinder, who is scheduled to pitch the first two innings of every third game for the near future, allowed three runs on three hits and two walks last night at Charlotte. Kim, who struck out one batter, surrendered a three-run homer to Mike Bell in the first inning but held Charlotte scoreless in the second.

Charlotte won the game, 4-3, in 11 innings.

Shiell elbowed out

Reliever Jason Shiell [stats, news], who went 2-0 with a save and a 4.63 ERA in three stints with the Sox last season, is scheduled to have surgery early in the week to resolve nagging pain in his right elbow. The procedure will be performed by noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. The extent of Shiell's elbow damage isn't known. . . .

Right-hander Ramiro Mendoza [stats, news], meanwhile, is making a slow recovery from shoulder tightness and is playing catch at a distance of 150 feet in Fort Myers. . . .

Third baseman Bill Mueller [stats, news] was a late scratch from the lineup last night with a sore right knee. . . .

The Sox announced a four-year contract extension with Double-A Portland that will keep the Sea Dogs part of the organization through 2008. . . . The Sox have now committed 15 errors in the last 11 games.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

some deal will get done

there are chemistry problems in beantown

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

If I was in the BoSox front office, I would start calling Mr. Beane in Oakland everyday inquiring about Zito. He would be much more helpful in the playoffs than Beltran. I wish the DRays had the balls to attempt to make a deal for him but Im sure Lamar wont even make an attempt. Shiznitz, I would give up Rocco or Crawford plus a prospect for him. You dont get a chance to nab a pitcher like that to often. Especially one still fairly young.

I don't know about that... starting pitching is fine... we need hitting... we aren't giving up a ton of runs per game but the pitchers are getting enough run support.  I'd rather have beltran, even though Zito would be good too... he has the nastiest curve i've ever seen.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know about that... starting pitching is fine... we need hitting... we aren't giving up a ton of runs per game but the pitchers are getting enough run support.  I'd rather have beltran, even though Zito would be good too... he has the nastiest curve i've ever seen.

Damon has been a good player for sox and kim has been a bust. If we can get beltran and sign him for 6 years it would be a no-brainer as Yanks covet the kid.  Sox pitching is fine. Oakland has been inquiring about Kim for their bullpen.