• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

H.O.T

Guest r_to_the_izzo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

What happened to the days of the HOT Pep Band wearing paper bags on their heads to the games???

Zonald...I'm sure you have some stories...

Wow, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to throw my name out there.  I have more stories then I would ever care to share on here.

I only used paperbags to puke in from all the drinking sustained before, during, and after the games.  I did sit through many, MANY, womens bball games with 100 or so people there when they were at a very low point.  My how the times has changed.  The whole "I'M SORRY I SLEPT WITH YOUR MOTHER" line I belted out one time at the opposing team almost stopped the entire game.  With only 100 people there, you could hear everything that was said.  

I have never heard these chants but I say get over it.  Is it really hurting you or the team?  I mean, come on.  How do you feel about their uniforms?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21

Yo R,

instead of writing post after post, why don't you work on writing invitations to the students to come to the BBall games instead of picking at other things. I do believe some things are a little stupid that they say, but hey, it is all in good fun.

To thebouncer 1898: I Love you man!

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Hey hotdl, this is a b-ball game not a wedding. I had two classes on Mon, after skipping the first I went to the second, and told everyone I talk to to go to the game.

It's not my responsiblity for people to show up.

Band geeks of the world unite! Someone might have said something which makes one upset! I'l bring a sign to the next game for you guys, 'Shut up and Blow."

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545

I am all for original chants and the ole makes sense for women with the girl from Brazil but I think that we could work to come up with a better chant.  

As far as the free throw chant a few times it was said way late but if it said way b4 the shooter gets the ball it is fine.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

You guys know fighting with R will only result in more negative comments, right?

He has a point... but it isn't really that big of a deal.  The team needs to improve, people will come when they improve, and then you won't even hear the band.  Like, according to Rizzo, you cant hear the band PLAYING at football games when he is sitting in front of us!

At least people are doing something and showing up.  We have a lot of work to do.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

Hotmello. I would like to politely point out, that this is not only my opinion. In fact the only person who sits in the student section that disagrees with me is an ex-band member. Several times during the game, the people behind me were screaming for you guys to shut up.

I'm sorry that I don't jump on the bands D. Chanting ole at a b-ball game isn't creative, its stupid. Screaming while our guy shoots isn't creative, its stupid. If you guys were to go "AHHHH miss it" when the other team is shooting, I would have no problem with it. I think taht is a good way for the band to get involved.

But as someone who understands sports, I think it's stupid to try and distract the fans (and even players to an extent) just to try and create chants.

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

1) You disagree with the pep band saying, "AHHHH, MAKE IT!" right before we go to shoot a FT.  I would agree with you in the same respect that the marching band shouldn't play when the O-Line is coming upto the line for a play.  "SHHHH" with Bull horns is good enough with maybe a one word shout after the FT is made.

2) Ole chant just for the Brazil player on the women's team.

What other things do you not agree with that you would like to have feedback given to Dr. Robinson to make the bball games more enjoyable for our team and fans and less enjoyable for the opposing team and fans?

Guest r_to_the_izzo
Like, according to Rizzo, you cant hear the band PLAYING at football games when he is sitting in front of us!

I don't sit in front of you at the games.  I'm at the student section to the right of the field goal post.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

The band faces the west... which is pointing towards you

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

how about they modify the cheer ad do it to the opposing team

I don't like the whole saying something that gets into our own players head.

but soething like "Ahhhhhhh  MISS IT!" directed at the other guys would be pretty good

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

OK, two qualifiers: One, I'm a band dork and **** proud of it. Two, I'm an alum, so I haven't been to basketball games in over a year and so I don't know the specific incidents in question.

that said: What it sounds like to me is something that I know we as band dorks are sometimes guilty of: Trying to get in the spirit and affect the game while simultaneously not knowing a daggone thing about the game. I'm reminded of a girl who was in my pep band in undergrad who never had anything more constructive to say than "Get the ball!" when we were on defense. Yeah, thanks, that helps. I'd say in general, make sure you are contributing to, not taking away from the game when being spirited.

But that said, props for taking initiative, livening up the crowd, and making some noise! To those who are less than pleased, remember, everyone's working towards the same result--victory for our Bulls!