• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Panthers are ready to get physical

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06307/735348-233.stm

Friday, November 03, 2006

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It has been 13 days since Pitt played a football game and that's good or bad for the Panthers, depending on who you talk to.

The general consensus is that it's good because the Panthers have had a chance to get healthy and correct some of the mistakes they made in a 20-10 loss Oct. 21 to Rutgers.

But there are some players, like receiver Derek Kinder, who doesn't like to wait for two weeks after a loss.

Tomorrow

Game: Pitt (6-2, 2-1) at South Florida (5-3, 1-2), noon.

TV/radio: WTAE/WPGB-FM (104.7) and WBGG-AM (970).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related article

Pitt football Q&A with Paul Zeise

"You never like to do that," he said. "You just want to get back out there and get back on the field and try and make some things happen. You don't want to have to think about a loss any longer than necessary, so we're hungry and it seems like we're getting hungrier by the day."

The Panthers (6-2, 2-1 Big East) have been stewing in the aftermath of their loss to the Scarlet Knights and that might not bode well for South Florida (5-3, 1-2). Pitt plays the Bulls tomorrow at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa and will be looking to keep its hopes alive for a second Big East title in three years.

The Panthers have used their open week to heal, timely considering the bumps and bruises among the defensive linemen.

Looking back at the Rutgers game, the Panthers believe they weren't physical enough, on offense and on defense. That is something they are aiming to change against the Bulls. They believe if they don't, they will have a very long afternoon.

"I think we did some standing and watching at some points, and we let Rutgers take the fight to us," said Pitt linebacker H.B. Blades. "We need to be the aggressor, we need to be the ones who set the tone, and that's one of the things we've talked about this week. I think our practices have been more physical and it will show come game day.

"It is an attitude, a state of mind. We need to develop that attitude every time we take the field, whether at practice or in a game."

South Florida is coming off a 23-6 loss to Cincinnati and Pitt defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads said the Bearcats had success against the Bulls because they were the more physical of the two teams.

He said it is a formula for success in most games, but in particular against a team blessed with speed and talent, like the Bulls.

"Cincinnati was very physical overall in that game. Everything they did was very physical stopping both the run and pass," Rhoads said. "That is their personality and that is what the personality of this football team should be as well every time we take the field. And you have to do that to win. The more you hit somebody in the mouth, the less likely they are to keep coming after you."

One player the Panthers will try to hit often is South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe, who is the Bulls leading rusher. Grothe has rushed 113 times for 482 yards and seven touchdowns, but Cincinnati held him to 22 yards on seven carries and 47 passing yards.

Running quarterbacks have given the defense some difficulties but coach Dave Wannstedt said the Panthers have worked hard this week to learn their assignments.

"The way I see it there is a downside to that quarterback running, too," Wannstedt said. "I mean, he'd better have his mouthpiece in. That's the other side of that. We have to hit that quarterback. He'll run it and he might make some yards, but he's going to get hit a lot, too."

NOTE -- One player that Wannstedt heaped praise on this week is redshirt junior defensive end Joe Clermond, who is a Tampa native. Clermond has a team-high 10.5 tackles for loss. "Without a doubt, he's been our most productive and most consistent [defensive end] and you love seeing that because he kind of came out nowhere," Wannstedt said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Paul Z

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

"The way I see it there is a downside to that quarterback running, too," Wannstedt said. "I mean, he'd better have his mouthpiece in. That's the other side of that. We have to hit that quarterback. He'll run it and he might make some yards, but he's going to get hit a lot, too."

I hope our O-Line is bringing it's A game!