• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dantonio: Proud, not satisfied

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/SPT0101/610170338/1062/SPT

UC eyes one of six Big East bowl tie-ins

BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

University of Cincinnati coach Mark Dantonio said on Tuesday that he was proud of his team’s effort in a 23-17 loss to undefeated Louisville on Saturday, but that it was time to forget about it and start preparing for the University of Southern Florida.

“I thought we went down there and played extremely hard. We talked about it all week long, about what we would have to be done in terms of winning down there,†Dantonio said.

“The biggest thing was that we would have to go down there and match their intensity and play with great faith and confidence. We did do that. I think we played extremely hard. There is not one player on our football team that we couldn’t have asked more from that and that didn’t give all they could.â€Â

With five games remaining, the University of Cincinnati football team has a lot of work to do before it can be taken seriously as a bowl contender.

Coming off a 23-17 near-miss at Louisville last week, the Bearcats face a pivotal game against South Florida (5-2 overall, 1-2 Big East) Sunday night at Nippert Stadium.

“It’s a huge game for us,†Dantonio said. “USF comes in here, it’s an ESPN nationally televised game, and it’s on our home field. We should play well on our home field.â€Â

They need six victories to become eligible for one of the Big East's six bowl tie-ins.

UC (3-4, 0-2) must still play at No. 4 West Virginia (Nov. 11) and at home against No. 19 Rutgers (Nov. 18). The Bearcats also play Syracuse at home (Oct. 28) and at Connecticut (Nov. 25).

"We have a five-game schedule left," UC head coach Mark Dantonio said Monday. "We've got to win three of those five. We've gone in and played in hostile environments and proved that we can play, but we need to come away with wins, not moral victories."

Dantonio said UC's effort against No. 7-ranked Louisville should help his team as it heads into its final five games.

"I don't sense frustration in our players," Dantonio said. "They want to win as badly as anyone. We just have to become more resolved. If anything, it should give us confidence that we can play."

GRUTZA TOUGHS IT OUT

In two years as UC's starting quarterback, Dustin Grutza has yet to consistently display the passing touch of his predecessor, Gino Guidugli, but he has shown to be every bit as tough.

Grutza was sacked five times Saturday against Louisville and hit numerous other times, but he still managed to run for 44 yards on UC's final drive against the Cardinals.

"I pride myself on being tough," Grutza said. "I'm always going to play my heart out. Ever since I started playing sports, I've always thought that heart was the biggest thing."

In his last two games, Grutza has rushed for 147 yards and passed for 359.

"He's giving us leadership that's contagious," Dantonio said.

BIG EAST BOAST

With games against non-conference opponents finished for this season, the Big East has posted a 32-8 record against teams outside the league, which ties the Southeastern Conference (28-7) for the best record in the country. Both leagues have a winning percentage of .800.

The .800 winning percentage is the best-ever for the Big East, beating the previous record of .757 in 2000, before Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College left for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"Three good teams left," Dantonio said. "And three teams came in. Louisville stepped in and filled one of those voids and I think the other two teams - South Florida and Cincinnati - are coming."E-mail bkoch@enquirer.com

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

And I think we are 1-1 Conference.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

First paragraph calls us Southern Florida.  Nice.  We've only been in two conferences with UC.  Brutal.

Didn't catch that ... THANX !

bkoch@enquirer.com

Exactly what I did ... a nice reminder ... it was a good read.