• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pitt Football Chat - Long, really long

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Paul Zeise Chat Transcript 10/12/06

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Paul Zeise: Welcome all and hope we have an enjoyable time. Thanks for joining in and let's get started.

Vic_Damone_Jr.: What is the biggest difference in the defense this year?

Paul Zeise: I think it is clear that the defensive line is playing at a much higher level than they have been. A lot of that has to do with having better players, but I also think moving Greg Gattuso to defensive line coaching was a brilliant move because he has clearly helped upgrade that position. If you look at it Pitt doesn't have a bunch of studs on the defensive line but they are effective now, they get off blocks and as a result they make everyone elses job easier.

Vic_Damone_Jr.: How come Joe DelSardo is not playing? And don't give me that insiders BS 'things happen on the inside" He's a good receiver that is getting the shaft

Paul Zeise: Sometimes there are things that happen on the inside that aren't really anyone's business. Joe has had a nice career but he's hit a few snags off the field this year and he's working his way back. That's all I'm really going to say about it and no matter how many ways you ask it, my answer won't change.

Tony_D_s_Parking_Tickets: Say Pitt runs the table and ends up going to a BCS bowl - do we have enough talent to play with, say an LSU or Tennessee, and not be embarrassed like we were in the Fiesta Bowl?

Paul Zeise: Um, how about worrying about beating Central Florida. I think these pipe dreams are fun to talk about but really, not very productive. Pitt still has a ways to go to have the talent and depth to really compete with the big boys out there, though, I think it would be closer than the Utah game because this team looks to me like it is actually better than that 2004 team, even though its record might not ultimately reflect it.

Vic_Damone_Jr.: I see where Pitt has lost Jordan Mabin but gained Aundre Wright. What are your thoughts on recruiting thus far?

Paul Zeise: I've said all along - wait until Feb. 3rd or whatever signing day is before you start judging. I think there are some surprises down the road and until we know who is really coming and who is not, it is hard to judge. I'd say Wright is a nice player from what I saw when he was at Perry but there are other bigger receivers out there that Pitt is after. One guy who seems to be wearing out his15 minutes of fame is Toney Clemons. Does the way this guy is handling his recruitment remind anyone else of a certain pink suit-wearing, running back who is now about sixth string at Miami?

castellano: With Pitt, Rutgers, WVU and Louisville still all have yet to play each other, how do you project the outcome of Big East?

Paul Zeise: Great question. It will be fun to watch, that's for sure. I think Pitt goes 1-2 versus those three. I think Rutgers goes 0-3 versus those other three. I think Louisville goes 3-0 and West Virginia goes 2-1. So when it is said and done, I think Pitt finishes third, Louisville wins the Big East, especially if Brohm is back.

Grandpa_Page: If Pitt beats Central Florida, do you think there's a chance they'll sneak into the Top 25?

Paul Zeise: Um, it would help if the Panthers played well because they are on national television. But beyond that a lot has to do with who loses and wins that is already in the top 25. I think if they win this one and the Rutgers game they will definitely be in at 7-1. Should be interesting to see these next few weeks.

AirWannstedt: Paul, I was driving through Panther Hollow the other day and I saw some surveyors scoping it out...can you confirm if they were there to get ready for the new Pitt Stadium?

Paul Zeise: Are you sure they weren't walking their dogs?

pennstsux: On the first play of the 'Cuse game Mike McGlynn made a devastating block. Is the O-line starting to get a nasty attitude?

Paul Zeise: I have no idea about their attitude. I do know they are starting to block the people they are supposed to block and that's half the battle. The pass protection has been excellent and the run blocking is much better than it has been. I think the line is a strength of the team, which is something I haven't said since Chad Reed and Bryan Anderson were playing for the Panthers.

Stull4Prez: What's going on with Tamarcus Porter? Will he stick around after this year?

Paul Zeise: T.J. Porter is just immature. He does a lot of things that speak to this and that's why he is often in and out of the coaches dog house. That being said it seems in recent weeks he has found a way to work his way out of the dog house and he is back on special teams and playing some receiver. I'd say there is a good chance he'll stick around next year, but with him you never know. I know if he could ever grow up and start bearing down and being the kind of player his talent would dictate, the Panthers could have a superstar over the next three years.

AirWannstedt: Paul, do you think that having UCF and USF on the schedule helped land Fla. players such as HB Blades and Clint Sessions?

Paul Zeise: I think that notion is silly considering South Florida was not even in the Big East when those two were recruited and this game with Central Florida was originally scheduled for 2008 -- when they'd be long gone. The idea that South Florida helps the Big East recruit in Florida is silly when you consider that teams from the Big 12, BigTen and even Pac 10 all go to Florida to recruit kids and seem to be able to get as many as they need.

vegasknowitall: Do you think it was a mistake for DW not to get Stull meaningful snaps in the Cuse game? LOL!

Paul Zeise: Yes, absolutely. In fact, Bill Stull should have gotten in right after the first snap of the ballgame since i it was clearly over by then. Got to get that Bill Stull work.

AirWannstedt: Paul, is the move of Greg Gattuso the biggest improvement on this team overall?

Paul Zeise: I think from a personnel standpoint there were a lot of moves that have helped this team but if you ask me, yes, the addition of him to the defensive staff has provided a much needed lift. When you hear the kids talk about how much they work on fundamentals this year, it tells you a lot that they are getting great coaching from him and from Charlie Partridge.

Stull4Prez: What are the chances that Bill Stull gets meaningful playing time tomorrow night?

Paul Zeise: God I hope he gets 100 snaps, even if there is only 60 plays. He is the key to the BCS berth. Stull needs work, needs more work for Pitt to win. I have an inbox full of e-mails about Bill Stull getting work. Don't any of you people in the South Hills have a hobby?

castellano: If WVU is undefeated and playing for a national championship game spot, does Pitt have a prayer against WVU in the last game of the season?

Paul Zeise: Pitt has no prayer versus West Virginia in the last game of the season, but not for the reasons you think. Pitt plays Louisville in the last game of the season, not West Virginia.

AirWannstedt: Paul, do you think the coaches have made their final decisions on redshirts?

Paul Zeise: No. They won't until the season is over. If three linebackers go down tomorrow, I'd assume Nate Nix will have to play. That's why much like annoying lines of questions about Bill Stull getting work, questions about redshirts are fairly silly as well. The kids will play when they are ready to.

Vic_Damone_Jr.: What are your thoughts about LaRod Stephens-Howling versus Conredge Collins now?

Paul Zeise: I think LaRod Stephens-Howling is a talented bacjk. He can do a lot of things and he is fun to watch once he gets going. But to quote your favorite coach Walt Harris "let's not put him in the college football hall of fame after one game." The bottom line is still saw an offense that struggled to get tough yards on a consistent basis and I definitely think there are plenty of opportunities to use Collins as well. I just think if you want to run LaRod 28 times a game you are asking for trouble, but he could prove me wrong. I like both kids, I like both of their talents and I think they can complement each other in the backfield better than they do.

AirWannstedt: Paul, now that Thatcher is out of the way, will we finally see Elijah Fields or is Jemeel Brady blocking his path to the two-deep?

Paul Zeise: I think right now Elijah Fields is biggest obstacle is his knowledge and retention of the defense. That's really what is holding him back. It isn't physical, he just can't play at a fast enough speed yet because he doesn't have a lot of confidence in what he is doing on each play. He will get out there soon enough, but the key will be for him to really become a good safety and not just rely on his athleticism like he did in high school.

FansForScript: Paul, right off the top, would you help support a grassroots effort to bring back the Script Pitt logo?

Paul Zeise: I'm a neutral party, an objective reporter so I wouldn't join in any movements. I have been on record, however, as saying Pitt should indeed bring those script Pitt logo helmets and the old uniforms back, like the ones they wore at Youngstown State.

Grandpa_Page: I've often thought that Kevan Barlow's 272 vs. West Virginia was the most impressive rushing performance I've ever seen in person. How does that performance rank for you and do you think LaRod can keep up the pace?

Paul Zeise: Well, luckily I have had the pleasure of watching Pitt's defense for the past few years so I've seen a lot of impressive rushing days -- like West Virginia putting up 450 last year, or Kevin Jones, Julius Jones and Quincy Wilson in 2003. Barlow's was a great performance -- but it should have been a lot more, except Walt decided he wanted to let West Virginia back into that game so he had Priestly dropping back and throwing picks in the fourth quarter ... LaRod could keep what pace up? Again, he's had one great day. We'll see if this was an exception or the rule soon enough. I think he's good enough to post big numbers but you have to do it consistently.

Vic_Damone_Jr.: Why do you constantly defend Paul Rhoads? He has not done a good job the last four years.

Paul Zeise: I don't constantly defend anyone. I just don't think it is fair to throw the guy under the bus given some of the issues personnel wise he's had to deal with. I think he has shown when he has good players, not great ones, but good ones at a majority of the positions, he can do a good job. It is hard to coach defense when your defensive line is being pancaked more than the batter at the Waffle House. Do I agree with everything he's done or everything about his scheme? No. But I could say the same about just about every coach, so I really just don't think it is fair to destroy him like so many people would like.

SDWC: Paul, which Panthers in your opinion are likely to be selected in next year's NFL draft? I am thinking Palko, Blades, Revis, and maybe Graessle.

Paul Zeise: That's probably a good list, but don't be surprised if Clint Session gets picked as well.

vegasknowitall: Safety appears to be the weak link on the D now that Thatch went down. Fields appears to have the talent to be the big play safety the panthers need at that position. How far away do you tink Fields is from seeing meaningful time? Do you think he can pick up mental aspect of the defense enough to make a meaningful contribution by the WVU and UL games?

Paul Zeise: I've already answered the Fields part. I'd disagree that safety is the weak link. I think with Mike Phillips and Sam Bryant they have two veteran players who are both capable of playing at a high level. They are both smart and know the defense, so they'll be fine at safety.

Vic_Damone_Jr.: What are some of the big differences between Dave Wannstedt and Walt Harris?

Paul Zeise: One is tall, one is short. OK, I'll be serious. Dave is more of a player's coach than Walt was. Walt was more of a strict disciplinarian than Dave was and Walt had far bigger concerns about silly things (like guys tucking their shirts in) than probably was needed. Dave is more comfortable in social situations and in dealing with the media but Walt was very accessible as well. The biggest difference is in philosophy --- one wants to play smashmouth and the other wants to trick you. That's not to say one way is better or worse.

cont.