• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Help Fight Breast Cancer-"Dig for the Cure"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

Bulls Help Fight Breast Cancer With Fourth Annual “Dig for the Cure” Campaign

TAMPA, Fla. (Oct. 6, 2006) – With the month of October designated as National Breast Cancer Awareness month, head coach Claire Lessinger and the University of South Florida volleyball team are continuing their tradition of supporting this worthy cause with the “Dig for the Cure” campaign.

The Bulls have designated their Rutgers match on Oct. 22 at 2 p.m. as the team’s “Dig for the Cure” match. Individual sponsors pledge money per dig earned by the Bulls or can make a flat donation to the cause. The money raised by the team will go directly to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.  

The 2006 season marks the third year that USF has been participating in this program and the fight against breast cancer. The Bulls have raised over $4,500 in that time and look to build on that amount to make a difference for the cause.  

People wishing to contribute monetary donations to the USF “Dig for the Cure” campaign can fill out a pledge sheet at the Bulls’ home volleyball match against Villanova on Oct. 20 and at the match against Rutgers. You can also contact coach Lessinger at (813) 974-5740 or by emailing her at clessing@admin.usf.edu or you can email Tina Kelly at tkelly@admin.usf.edu.

“‘Dig for the Cure’ is a great cause,” Lessinger said. “It gives my team the opportunity to assist in finding a cure for breast cancer, a disease that affects women daily.  Our players enjoy the extra incentive that rides on each dig they make.  It is comforting to know we can use an aspect of our sport to help drive dollars towards cancer research.  This campaign was spearheaded by Lisa Marston, the head coach at Charlotte, and she has done a great job of marketing the idea to all volleyball programs.  Each year the list of participating schools grows and so do the dollars raised.  We are excited to be a part of something very special.”

Marston started this program three years ago as a tribute to her mother and other women to help find a cure for breast cancer.  

“My mother is a breast cancer survivor,” Marston said. “We started this program to honor breast cancer survivors around the world. Most every person has been affected in some way by breast cancer, and so many people responded that we decided to expand it. I am so proud of the volleyball community for stepping up to raise money for breast cancer research. My lofty goal is that we raise a combined $50,000. My other goal is that this project brings awareness for breast cancer, but also to the college athletes who care about their communities. Athletes are continuously highlighted for bad decisions. It is about time the public sees the good that athletes do so much of.”

The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation was established in 1982 by Nancy Brinker to honor the memory of her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died from breast cancer at the age of 36.  Today, the Foundation is an international organization with a network of more than 75,000 volunteers working through local affiliates and events like the Komen Race for the Cure® to eradicate breast cancer as a life-threatening disease. Together with its Affiliate Network, corporate partners and generous donors, the Komen Foundation has raised more than $740 million for the fight against breast cancer.  

For more information, call the National Toll-Free Breast Care Helpline at 1.800 I’M AWARE® (1.800.462.9273) or visit www.komen.org.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142
  • Days Won:  0

This is the great kinds of things people need to see about USF!