• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: Band Uniforms... again....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  130
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone here see UF, FSU, Miami, Georga, Ohio State, USC, etc bands wearing a polo shirt to a football games?

Here's your chance to be a BCS trend setter and not a follower .......

Exactly what I was thinking.

Years ago I used to do trade shows and all the exhibitors wore suits and ties. after suffering through a number of shows in a three piece suit where the AC was less than comfortable,  I decided to wear a short sleeve polo with company logo...in a few years suits and ties  had virtually disappeared from the trade show floor...even the "stuffed shirt" companies changed their dress codes.

I'm dating myself, but when I was in college the coaches all wore suits and ties on the sidelines during games.  Players and coaches traveled to road game attired in suits and ties...Does it make CJL any less professional by wearing a polo shirt and dockers?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

I guess that could be a good point

This item originally appeared in the September 23, 2004 issue of The Tech Talk.

By MELISSA WALKER

Staff Writer

It costs to look good.

The Band of Pride paid that price Sept. 6 when it debuted its new uniforms for Tech's first home game against Nevada. Four members were taken by ambulance to Lincoln General Hospital, located at 1003 White Street, to be treated for heat sickness because of the combination of heat, strain and hot uniforms.

Jim Robken, band director, said the band took its performance to another level because the game would be televised on ESPN.

"This was a one-time shot on national T.V.," Robken said. "We've been working toward this for years, and we put it all out there for the game. The band stepped up."

Robken said he is astounded by the dedication of the band.

"This is the band I've waited 13 years at Tech to have," Robken said. "The kids were willing to go the extra mile. Opportunity knocked, and we opened the door."

Robken said the decision to put the band in the new uniforms for the game was made because Tech should be represented as well as it can.

"We are trying to be a 1-A university, and not just in football. To present a 1-A program, it takes spirit, attendance, and a good band, too. That's the only thing we should have -- a first class program."

Robken also said the situation will not happen in the future.

"We wanted to take the chance because it was such a big opportunity for us," Robken said. "You notice that at the second game the kids were in their summer uniform, which is khaki shorts and a T-shirt."

David Williamson, head of administrative staff for the Band of Pride, said he anticipated issues with the noontime heat.

"Band uniforms are designed for appearance," Williamson said. "They are not made for comfort or hot weather."

Uniforms are 55 percent polyester and 45 percent wool. Because of this, Williamson said, the uniforms are hot, adding up to 15 degrees to a band member's body temperature.

Joi Chadwick, uniform manager for the band and a senior music education major, said the band took care of each other in the heat.

Cooling stations were set up underneath the stadium, Chadwick said, consisting of fans, water and Emergency Medical Service workers, when necessary.

Chadwick also said some members received I.V.'s at the cooling stations, and at least four members were hospitalized.

John Pafford, co-owner of Pafford Emergency Services and a member of the Band administrative staff, said the band showed perseverance in the heat.

"The band looked sharp and dedicated in the above 90 degree heat," Pafford said. "Problems because of the heat were going to happen regardless; better cooling stations could have helped a little -- we didn't have a lot to work with, but we did what we could."

Despite the problems, Chadwick said she was proud of the new uniforms.

"It was new, everyone had to see it, and now they have seen it," Chadwick said.

"We were a little weaker as a band, but we're back -- we are a tough group. People have been telling us we looked good out there."

Williamson agrees with Chadwick.

"I'm glad. Wearing the uniforms finally got us some positive feedback from other groups and fans," he said.

"We gained some respect from people."

http://www.latech.edu/techtalk/archives/9_23_04/current/band.php

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  213

So why can't the HOT do some fund-raising? A well-run, ambitious fundraiser golf tournament can bring in plenty of money -- and it is clear that the band has enough people to seek out teams, raffle prizes, etc.

So why can't the HOT do some fund-raising? A well-run, ambitious fundraiser golf tournament can bring in plenty of money -- and it is clear that the band has enough people to seek out teams, raffle prizes, etc.

I must say better/more fundraising MUST be done.  Who does it doesn't matter, the program needs it all.

SF03,

What's your opinion on that LA Tech article

Interesting.  It hit on two subjects:

1) the pride of having a full traditonal uniform

2) the heat issue

We are not really into summer anymore and we have few day games like UCF. I would never be opposed to a polo/shorts uniform in ADDITION to the tradtional uniform. I wouldn't trade traditional for polo though.

A full uniform shows pride and tradition, something USF is really trying to build.  The basketball band and show band normally wear polos or t-shirts to games/events.  I agree with a trade off in Florida, but we must have a full uniform at football games.  It looks very high schoolish to be seen on ESPN nation wide in a t-shirt (in band).

As for the heat issue.  We just need to order lighter fabric uniforms.  I never have agreed with wool... we can get thin uniform fabric, like UCF, FIU, FSU, and UF have.  We also take numerous attempts to hydrate members... passing out approx 4 water bottles a game + filling stations.

Guest R_to_the_izzo

Honesty I know bands are a part of the "football college tradition", but I could really care less about the band.  Especially since all they do is play when we have the ball.  

Seriously, I appreciate what you guys do, but band uniforms are just not that big of a deal.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Honesty I know bands are a part of the "football college tradition", but I could really care less about the band.  Especially since all they do is play when we have the ball.  

Seriously, I appreciate what you guys do, but band uniforms are just not that big of a deal.

I completely disagree, college football is an event not just a game. IMO that includes tailgating, marching bands, cheerleaders, football etc... In addition to that bands can create tradition such as dotting the "I" at ohio state or getting the entire stadium to do the warchant at FSU. The band and their look is important, what next? keep the cheerleaders and sundolls in sweat suits or the football team in practice jearseys? If you simply want to watch a football game then yeah it isn't important, but if you want to create that college feel you need it all and I'd much prefer to emulate the feel of the Michigan's and Ohio State's of the world over the FIU's (no offense to FIU but c'mon)

BTW, question for the band members. Did you guys play a LOT more during the Rutgers game than usual? It seemed that we hardly ever heard the piped in music and got a lot more of the band.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Funny, I dont see anyone talking about this thread and its "uselessness"....  ::)