• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: Band Uniforms... again....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

I liked the "uniforms" that FIU had.  Appropriate for Florida.  We should go to something like that and it would be more comfortable for the HOT, and in my opinion be just as nice since they would all be dressed the same.

Funny you said that since the same statement was spread around administrators after the FIU game.  

BUT... we have to keep in mind good college marching bands don't have polo shirt uniforms.  FIU only wears polos and shorts to a few AWAY games.  They still have a full uniform, a newer full uniform.

Does anyone here see UF, FSU, Miami, Georga, Ohio State, USC, etc bands wearing a polo shirt to a football game?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473

But aren't you guys hot as hell in those wool uniforms?!?  I'm sweating to death in shorts & a t-shirt ~ I can't help but think that broiling in full uni's would detract from your enjoyment of the game a little bit.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  130

Wouldn't wearing a USF polo and shorts look better than playing in the stands with your jackets off.

Black is the worst possible color choice for hats (and uniforms)that are worn in the Florida sun.  A light weight white uniform trimmed in green and gold would make a lot more sense than what the HOT wears now.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  296

So there is a solution.

To get A&S funding, drop the requirement that members sign up for the class.  Make it optional.

In order to recieve their stipend, a band student must be registered for the class.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Wouldn't wearing a USF polo and shorts look better than playing in the stands with your jackets off.

Black is the worst possible color choice for hats (and uniforms)that are worn in the Florida sun.  A light weight white uniform trimmed in green and gold would make a lot more sense than what the HOT wears now

They make uniform fabrics that don't include wool, many drum corps use them.  Ours are acrilic and wool right now which does not breath at all.  They were looking into buying ALL wool uniforms (thats the design and proposal that has been submited now for 3 years)... since ALL WOOL breaths A LOT better than what we have now.  

Wool is not great... by any means... but it is a standard fabric for band uniforms.  But I don't think FSU or UF use wool... I think they use a lighter fabric if I remember correctly.

Needless to say... the band needs professional looking uniforms, professionally made, to help the band program and our entire football atmosphere.

Polos are fine for Pep band (basketball) or some show band (special events)... but not football.  

Perhaps something that provides for more ventilation.D%20Rank.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Does anyone here see UF, FSU, Miami, Georga, Ohio State, USC, etc bands wearing a polo shirt to a football games?

Here's your chance to be a BCS trend setter and not a follower .......

Black is the worst possible color choice for hats (and uniforms)that are worn in the Florida sun.  A light weight white uniform trimmed in green and gold would make a lot more sense than what the HOT wears now

They make uniform fabrics that don't include wool, many drum corps use them.  Ours are acrilic and wool right now which does not breath at all.  They were looking into buying ALL wool uniforms (thats the design and proposal that has been submited now for 3 years)... since ALL WOOL breaths A LOT better than what we have now.  

Wool is not great... by any means... but it is a standard fabric for band uniforms.  But I don't think FSU or UF use wool... I think they use a lighter fabric if I remember correctly.

Needless to say... the band needs professional looking uniforms, professionally made, to help the band program and our entire football atmosphere.

Polos are fine for Pep band (basketball) or some show band (special events)... but not football.  

So, do you think jacketless and grey t-shirt  look that you were wearing during the game at the Citrus Bowl presented a more professional  look than FIU's band did in polo's at the RJ?

So there is a solution.

To get A&S funding, drop the requirement that members sign up for the class.  Make it optional.

In order to recieve their stipend, a band student must be registered for the class.

Okay. It could still be optional.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I don't think band uniforms (and I'm only talking band uniforms here) make the atmosphere, it's the playing that is going on that makes it.  I think that there's way too many things that are more important than getting band uniforms right now.  Why can't they just be patched up?  I've wondered that since this started.  It's not like the TV analyst are commentating on how the band has the old uniforms on, they don't really care.

And I'm glad SG isn't giving the A&S fees to the band since it is something that not all students can be a part of.  I'm sure this will all be figured out down the road, but right now band uniforms aren't needed as bad as people are making it out to be.  I think you guys look great now.  The Iconic U on the uniform isn't going to change that.