• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Don't Push that Panic Button just yet...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

The Bad (notso bad that is):

Running back is the biggest missing link right now.  The O-line really opened up some gaping holes against Rutgers.  For lack of a faster RB this could have easily been a 35 point ballgame.

The kicking game needs improvement, but isn’t in as dire straights as earlier this season.  

The defensive line is starting to experience the injury bug / lack of depth.  

The Good:

T-minus 13 days (at North Carolina) and Ricky Ponton returns.  So does Jackie Chambers (possibly one of the best return men in the Big East).  And Josh Julmiste comes back as well ( fast wrecking ball at defensive end).  Seriously, Julmiste back on the D-line will FORCE teams to double-cover him.   Ponton should be the man at RB, he’s fast and he's a good "between the tackles" type of RB.  The addition of Chambers only helps an already great position.      

The Outlook:

I’d say pretty good.  In 2 weeks vs. N Carolina, watch out!

The offensive line was busting open some pretty big holes Friday night, all that's needed is a RB to take the heat off the young QB.  If they can keep defenses honest with a decent running back, then watch out… here come the bulls.  Rutgers and Kansas ignored the running backs the whole game and keyed off on Grothe.  Even then he had absurd yards / stats against both of them.  The Bulls will only have to keep defenses honest and big Matt will make them pay.  

The defense would be great with a little more depth.  The anticipated return of Julmiste should help to fill one gap.  The Defense was on the field for over 40 minutes in the Kansas game and only gave up 13 points.  They didn’t do the best at stopping Rutgers running game, but I doubt any more teams on the Rutgers schedule will hold them to under 35 points.  That’s a pretty good showing missing some D-line starters and having played 40+ minutes of football with only a 5-1/2 to 6 day turn around.  

This week UConn comes to town.  UConn has a great running game, not what the Dr. ordered for our defense.  On the plus side, they gave up 41? points to Navy on Saturday.  Now they might have been looking forward to this game, but I think the Bulls have an honest shot at this one.  

Then if the returning players next week play up to expected levels, then there really isn't a team on the schedule they can't hang with.    

Any thoughts?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

And let me say this about the return of Julmiste ... he and Selviw will wreck havoc from the corners!

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

jackie chambers wont be returning punts i'll bet.  which reminds me...no one has yet given me a good reason for not having ean randolph back on kickoff returns.  have both him and chmabers back there in 2 weeks.

this week is a must win, and after that navy game we have no excuse to lose this game

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

I really didnt feel like pushing it because of the state of the team.  However, the prescence of a big, red button like that at the top of the board just screams at me.  I was very tempted to click on it 1000 times within 10 minutes, but decided not to.  Doing that would only be cool if the mods kept track, and based on the link that appears at the bottom when you put the cursor over it, it just plays a song.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Too late.  I already pressed it.  ::)  I just had to find out what it was...pretty funny. ;D

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Although, if you just put your mouse over the top, you can see the link without actually pressing it.