• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

student seating at usc

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

USC Rules on Student Seating

By Gary Klein, Times Staff Writer

September 26, 2006

Responding to controversy and a hazardous situation that resulted from its decision to reduce student seating at home football games this season, USC announced late Monday several changes in policy, including the opportunity for the entire undergraduate student population to purchase reserved seats for the 2007-08 season.

Last week, students vented their anger at administrators over changes that resulted in a crush of bodies outside the Coliseum before the Sept. 16 game against Nebraska. The university had sold 12,000 spirit cards, which allow entrance and non-reserved, general admission seating to various sporting events, but reduced the number of student seats from 12,000 to 8,000.

ADVERTISEMENT

More than 9,000 card-holders jammed the entrance to Gate 28. There were reports of minor injuries and at least one arrest.

Administrators said they discussed the change with student government last spring but students were not informed until the week of the game.

In a letter that will be published in today's edition of the campus newspaper, Michael Jackson, USC's vice president for student affairs, apologized to students who were turned away at the gate or had problems entering the Coliseum.

"We did not plan well; we did not communicate well; we did not seek student advice to the degree that we needed to," Jackson wrote. "But we have learned some important lessons that will be put to good use in the immediate future. The university has been rightly criticized for its actions and is addressing the grievances and concerns expressed by students, alumni, and parents."

In the letter, Jackson said that:

•  16,400 seats, the approximate number of undergraduates, will be available for student-priority purchase beginning in spring 2007 at $135 per season ticket. Tickets not purchased during the exclusive sale period will be made available to students and the general public.

•  The need to purchase a spirit card as a means of gaining seats at games will be eliminated.

•  With the change from general admission to reserved seating, USC is exploring several options that would allow students to sit with friends.

•  For this season, the student ticket allotment will increase to 9,200. The school is continuing to work with the fire marshal and Coliseum management to add standing-room only spots if needed.

•  There will be a plan to allow easier entry at the student gate, to open 2 1/2 hours before kickoff.

Brian Braunlich, a junior who serves as the director of university affairs for USC's undergraduate student government, welcomed the changes.

"I think it's great they are guaranteeing a seat to every student who wants to go to the game next season," he said. "But I'm going to keep an eye out to see what happens the rest of this year."

USC REPORT

No Jarrett Means More of Turner

September 26, 2006

Patrick Turner arrived at USC last season billed as the latest in a growing line of rangy receivers that included Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound sophomore is expected to step into the forefront on Saturday when the third-ranked Trojans play at Washington State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jarrett is doubtful for the game because of a shoulder injury suffered in last week's victory at Arizona.

He did not practice Monday, and left before the workout ended, but Coach Pete Carroll said the All-American told him he intended to make a run at playing.

Regardless, Turner, senior Chris McFoy and freshman Vidal Hazelton have moved up the depth chart.

"I just want to go out and make plays," said Turner, who has four receptions for 28 yards and a touchdown.

McFoy, a fifth-year senior, has caught eight passes for 87 yards.

Hazelton has not caught a pass.

"I'm just excited to go out and finally get a chance to play," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Mike Brittingham and junior Jody Adewale will play fullback and the Trojans will rely on tight ends more in the wake of freshman Stanley Havili's broken leg, according to Carroll.

Havili, expected to sit out four to six weeks, started against Arizona and was injured in the second quarter.

"I was trying to block my guy and another guy jumped over and kicked my leg," he said. "I stood up and my leg was shaking, but I didn't want to come out. There were 54,000 people there (actually 58,801). I was like, 'Nah, I'm not coming out yet.' "

Havili entered the training room at halftime, but did not seek help.

"They were on other guys, so I just grabbed some tape and taped my own leg," he said.

Finally, in the third quarter, he could not take the discomfort.

"When you sit on the bench the first two games, you don't want to come off," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Trojans rested nearly the entire defensive backfield, including safety Kevin Ellison and cornerback Cary Harris. Cornerback Kevin Thomas (ankle) also did not practice. Carroll said cornerback Terrell Thomas did not attend the workout because he was having a sore shoulder evaluated. Linebacker Dallas Sartz worked some at safety in Ellison's spot.

The Trojans practiced on Cromwell Field's artificial turf while new grass sod was laid down at Howard Jones Field…. USC's Oct. 7 game against Washington at the Coliseum will kick off at 12:30 p.m. and will be televised nationally on FSN West.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Ohio St students lose their seating each season I hear ... alum have the money ...

USC REPORT

Bradford Makes the Move Back to Safety

September 28, 2006

Allen Bradford, one of the most prominent members of USC's stellar 2006 recruiting class, came to the Trojans as a safety.

He moved to tailback during training camp, but on Wednesday the 6-foot, 230-pound freshman from Colton returned to the secondary, passing up an opportunity to play fullback for an offense especially thin at that position.

ADVERTISEMENT"I just wanted to play defense," Bradford said.

Bradford was behind fellow freshman tailbacks Emmanuel Moody and C.J. Gable and junior Chauncey Washington, who appears to be working through the hamstring problems that precipitated Bradford's move to offense.

In a Tuesday meeting with Coach Pete Carroll and running backs coach Todd McNair, Bradford said he was told he could choose between tailback, safety and fullback.

The Trojans have lost fullbacks Brandon Hancock, Ryan Powdrell and Stanley Havili because of injuries. Mike Brittingham, a former walk-on, will start for the third-ranked Trojans on Saturday against Washington State. Seldom-used Jody Adewale, a fifth-year senior, will back up Brittingham.

Asked why he did not want to play fullback, Bradford said: "I really couldn't tell you. They asked me if I just wanted to try out at fullback, I couldn't go through with it."

Bradford said his father counseled against the move to fullback, but his high school coach advised him it would be a way to get on the field.

Several high-profile players in USC history played fullback before gaining prominence as tailbacks, including Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Allen and Heisman runner-up Ricky Bell.

"It's a worker-bee position," said Sam Cunningham, who starred at fullback for USC in the early 1970s. "The cats you block for and the cats you play with appreciate you, but you kind of get lost in the shuffle when it comes to getting a lot of attention from fans and the media."

Bradford, who has gained 16 yards and scored a touchdown in six carries, said he would return to offense if asked.

"I told Coach Carroll whenever he needed me back, I would be there for him," Bradford said.

Carroll welcomed Bradford back to safety, where the Trojans also have depth issues.

"I told him I wanted him to feel comfortable with his opportunities," Carroll said.

Bradford is not expected to be up to speed for Saturday's game. With starter Kevin Ellison sitting out practice again to rest a sore left knee, the Trojans continued to work linebacker Dallas Sartz at safety.

Meanwhile, kicker David Buehler began taking repetitions at fullback. Buehler, 6-2 and 225 pounds, also has worked at safety. "He's really fast and he's a big strong kid," Carroll said. "He was a short-yardage back in junior college and high school, so he's excited about it."

All-American receiver Dwayne Jarrett did not practice again and said his sprained left shoulder remained sore.

On Sunday, Carroll said Jarrett was doubtful for Washington State and that he could miss two to four weeks. Jarrett has said that he would try to play against the Cougars, but he has not worked out this week.

"The trainers are treating it," Jarrett said. "I think it will be a game-day decision."

Sophomore cornerback Kevin Thomas practiced for the first time since spraining his ankle against Arkansas.

"It feels good," said Thomas, who started and returned a fumble in the opener. "When I twist I still feel a little pain, but hopefully that will be gone by game time. If not this week, then by next week for sure."

Linebacker Brian Cushing sat out most of the practice after twisting his left ankle, but Carroll said he was expected to be fine.