• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

dont buy the hype

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

akron and southern miss beat nc state who beat BC who beat clemson who beat FSU who beat miami...obviously, akron and southern miss are better than miami.  so yeah, college football is hard to predict.  USF could easily be anywhere from 0-4 (most likely 1-3) to 4-0 right now.  at least rutgers has convincingly won the last few weeks.

unfortunate that RU's top WR is out.  that might slightly even out our top 2 RBs being out.

more and more it looks like this game comes down to keeping RU from running us out of our own stadium.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

How is this Rutgers team different from last year's team?

economics,

I'll bite on this question.  There are a number of ways this RU team is different:

1)  The offensive philosophy is very different.  Last season Ru averaged about 30 pass attempts per game, and almost NEVER threw fro less than 25 times a game.  This season RU has averaged only 19 pass attempts per game, and has never tried to pass MORE than 26 times in any game.  Last season, RU used the run to set up the pass, but was a passing team for the most part (though RU actually had more runs than passes).  Thsi season RU is primarily a running team, by choice ... RU has rushed the ball 172 times and passed the ball just 78 times (more than 2-1 rushing to passing).  

2)  RU entered the season with TWO bona fide All Big East quality running backs, whereas last season RU entered the season with just 1 ... and even he (Leonard), as good as he is, had never rushed for more than 800 yards in a season, or so.  RU now has two high quality starters KNOWN, which has influenced point number 1.

3)  RU's Defense is much smaller across its front 4 ... but also much quicker.  Much was made about how RU lost 3 starting DL from last season due to graduation.  That was accurate, including losing two players who each had 10 or more sacks last season.  However, people had forgotten severla items.  First, people had forgotten that 1 of the lost "starters" was not really a starter, but a back-up, who stepped in to start after the starter got hurt.  And theat injured starter, eric Foster, redshirted alst season and returned this year.  Many thought Foster was RU's best DL last season (or going to be) before he got hurt in the 2nd game.  Second, people gorgit that RU retunred a starting DT who had 9 sacks last season (meekins).  Third, people forgot that RU had as 1 starter this season a back-up DE who had a lot of experience last season, and 4 sacks as a reserve.  But I was certainly concerned about RU's front 4's lack of size (and still remian a little concerned).  But so far this season, RU's D-line has made up for its lack of sixe with great quickness and speed.  For perspecdtive, this season so far, RU ranks 9th in the country in tackles for losses.  The RU staff made a concerted effort ot get faster acorss the entire front 7, not just the front 4.

4)  RU's punting is much better.  RU's punter, a senior, has always had a big leg.  but in previous years he was astoundingly inconsistent, to the point of uselessness.  Last season RU was amongst the worst teams in the country in net punting.  Thsi season?  His big leg has been consistently big.  RU's punter ranks 5ht in the country in gross punting and 32nd in the country in net punting, a VAST improvement over last season.  But since RU has only punted 16 times, of which 6 were downed inside the 20, and 2 were toushbacks, just 1 isolated punt return can skew things (only 8 rrturned punts in 4 games) ... and there was 1 60 yard punt return.  Without that punt return, Radigan has a net punting average above 41 yards per punt, which would rank him in the top 5-7 in the country.

5)  RU is creating MANY more turnovers this season than last season.  RU already has 7 interceptions in 4 games versus 6 interceptions ALL OF LAST SEASON.  and RU has vreated 13 turnovers in total this year.  As a part of that, RU's punt and kick blocking teams have been incredible, rivalling Virginia Tech's special teams.  RU has 2 punt blocks, a punter tackle (the blocker got in so fast the ounter could not even try to punt), has caused the opposing team to commit at least 5-6 illegal procedure penalties, and has forced 2 of its 4 opponents to change punters in the middle of the game.  The kick blocking team has blocked 1 or 2 FG attempts, and 1 extra point (I think).

6)  The defensive secondary is much more experienced, while also having greater depth, and greater speed.  They have not really been tested yet this year by a really good passing QB, so we are not SURE whether they are improved.

7)  The OL is generally more experienced (a huge factor, as many of you know), and much laregr, whle still being a tad more athletic and quicker than last season.  Three starters returned, and 1 player who started 3 games.  The 5th starter was a player who had been on the 2-deep two seasons prior, though had backed up on the d-line last season.  But they are BIG, and solidly athletic.

8)  RU has a new QB (this is NOT a positive), who is much less experienced than last season's primary starter.  he is big and strong, with a good arm.  but admittedly he is still elarning on the job.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

smazza,

Duh ... if any team stops RU from running the ball, and in turn plays error free and efficient football, of course they will win.

And someone, maybe more than 1 someone, will do that to RU, I am sure.

USF's defense is certainly the fastest, and toughest, that RU will have faced this season to date.  And Schiano says the USF offensive players are also the fastest that RU has played so far.  Thus I expect this game to be a large challenge for RU.  

Unfortunately, I have not seen USF play yet this season, so I do not have a feel for how RU actually stacks up at all.

The least RU has rushed for in any game this season is about 175 yards.  But the most RU has pased for this season is 145 yards.  I suspect RU is going to have to gain a few more yards in the air against USF than in any other game so far, in order to win.

And your QB worries me.  

But we shall see.  USF has had some important players either hurt or suspended, so their depth will really be tested.  RU is definitively better than last season, in my opinion as an RU fan (RU is not as flashy, and its offense is not as accomplished, but the offense is more efficient, and its defense is much quicker and more effective).  And I do not think USF is as good as it was last season.  On the other hand, RU just lost its top WR for an extended period of time due to a broken ankle, and is left with a VERY young WR corp ... though very fast.  As I said, we shall see, eh?

DUH

YOU NEED TO PROTECT THE BALL AND BE CONCERNED YOU DONT TURN OVER THE BALL 6 TIMES AGAIN

ALL THE PRESSURE IS ON RUTGERS AND THEY HAVENT HANDLED PRESSURE WELL UNDER SCHIANO

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ZZZCaptainObvious.jpg

RIZZO,I LOVE YOUR PROM PICTURE.WHERE IS YOUR DATE?

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I'm not buying the hype.  I expect USF to win, I don't care what the polls say.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I think that this will be a close game that could go either way.