• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cardinals are all well with QB Cantwell

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

By C.L. Brown

cbrown@courier-journal.com

The Courier-Journal

University of Louisville backup quarterback Hunter Cantwell had no problem being thrown into the forefront yesterday against Miami.

When the 6-foot-5 sophomore from Paducah, Ky., replaced an injured Brian Brohm with 10:30 left in the third quarter, he didn't figure he'd play the remainder of the game. But Cantwell calmly led touchdown drives on two of his first three possessions in the Cardinals' 31-7 romp over the Hurricanes.

"I didn't know how bad Brian was hurt," said Cantwell, who was 3 for 4 for 113 yards and a touchdown. "I was just going to go in and do what needed to be done."

What needs to be done has expanded for Cantwell. He'll start until Brohm's thumb heals, which could take 3-6 weeks. Coach Bobby Petrino said sophomore Bill Ashburn and junior Patrick Carter would serve as Cantwell's backups.

Cantwell started the final two games last season -- including the Gator Bowl -- after a knee injury sidelined Brohm.

Cantwell entered yesterday's game 6 of 7 passing for 66 yards this season. He said with every game he feels more comfortable in the pocket.

"I get one more game of experience under my belt," Cantwell said. "Everybody knows Brian's the man. But the more experience I get, the better off I am, so I take this as a learning opportunity."

Petrino said Cantwell was a different quarterback than the one who played last season as a redshirt freshman.

"He's matured a lot, understands the game a lot better," Petrino said. "I think spring football helped him tremendously because he took all those snaps with the ones (starters). He's got a lot of confidence, and that's half of playing the position."

When Cantwell entered the game, the Cards didn't get overly conservative. Petrino allowed him to throw deep off a play-action pass.

"We've got a lot of confidence in Hunter Cantwell," Petrino said. "I think we showed that when we came out and called it real aggressive on the first play. He stuck it right on the money."

Cantwell connected with Harry Douglas for a 45-yard strike. That pass set up Kolby Smith's 2-yard touchdown run and sent a message that the Cards would not fold without Brohm.

"I was kind of pumped that coach Petrino called pass on the first play," Cantwell said. "It makes you feel good as a quarterback when the coach says, 'I've got the confidence behind you.' "

It wasn't just Petrino. Receiver Mario Urrutia, who caught a 29-yard strike from Cantwell, said the offense didn't have any doubts with Cantwell calling the signals.

Cantwell followed Urrutia's reception with a perfectly lobbed screen pass to George Stripling that he took 39 yards for a score.

"He stepped up last year great for us," Urrutia said. "We had no doubt in him."

That's why sophomore center Eric Wood said the offense didn't let down when Cantwell entered the game.

"It's a great feeling as an offensive lineman and an offensive team when your backup quarterback has big-game experience," Wood said. "He's not nervous. He knows exactly what he's going to do."

Cantwell admitted to feeling a sense of redemption. He said he let the team down by throwing three interceptions in the Cards' 35-24 bowl loss to Virginia Tech.

"It's a lot easier this time," Cantwell said. "Last year in the Gator Bowl I came away from that game thinking that I took something away from the team and the University of Louisville. It felt good to go out there and get some of that back."

C.L. Brown can be reached at (502) 582-4044.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

ul has depth

they will continue to win

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

why can't we have that kind of depth at QB?

how come the great UM defense did not jump on this kid?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

It comes with success.  L'ville has had a ton of exposure in the past half decade and that is paying off big time now.