• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Johnson Savors Victory

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

A story on our very own TheBullsPen.com Player of the Game....

site_logo_340x60.gif

Johnson savors victory

MIKE HENRY

Herald Staff Writer

TAMPA - University of South Florida sophomore receiver Taurus Johnson wanted this moment to last.

Even as Bulls coaches urged Johnson and his teammates to head to the locker room, Johnson remained on the field at Raymond James Stadium, high-fiving fans, granting interview requests and soaking up the magic.

"It's an unbelievable feeling, like one of the best feelings I've ever had in my life," the Cape Coral product said.

Johnson's heroics in a 21-20 victory against upstart Florida International University couldn't have come at a better time for embattled USF coach Jim Leavitt, who was criticized throughout the week for not cooperating fully with the media.

At the tail-end of an evening in which the Bulls made numerous mistakes - including penalties that nullified two apparent punt-return touchdowns by Ean Randolph - Johnson stepped forward.

First, Johnson scored on a 14-yard reverse with 5 minutes remaining in the third quarter to narrow the deficit to 20-14, breaking four tackles along the way.

"I just put my hand down and kept my balance," he said.

Leavitt was more dramatic.

"There was no way he should have taken that reverse into the end zone. They had him boxed," the coach said. "That was sheer desire and determination. He willed his way in there."

Then, after Richard Clebert came up with a key fumble recovery with less than 3 minutes left in the game, Johnson streaked down the left sideline to haul in the game-winning 29-yard pass from freshman quarterback Matt Grothe.

"I'm glad coach called my number (Saturday night)," said Johnson, who finished with six receptions for 106 yards. "Me and Matt do this day-in, day-out in practice. We communicate so well, it's not even funny."

Hmmm. Maybe Leavitt can take a few hints in his dealings with the media.

Most of the game was not so enjoyable for the Bulls, who were 20-point favorites in the betting lines.

"FIU played a great game. They did everything they wanted to do," Leavitt said. "They protected their quarterback (Josh Padrick, 20-for-33 for 238 yards and a touchdown). We didn't stop No. 1 (Chandler Williams, 10 catches for 129 yards) until the end.

"I'm really proud of our football team, because you can't come back and win a game like that if you don't have great character and great love for your teammates," Leavitt said. "We just have to keep fighting because we won't win again if we don't change and become more disciplined."

FIU coach Don Strock could point to a number of reasons for the loss, starting with Chris Patullo's missed extra point after Williams' 82-yard punt return for a touchdown in the first quarter.

"We just didn't make plays when we had a chance to," Strock said. "The defense played well, but broke down in crucial times."

Grothe, making his first start, played decently, completing 15 of 28 for 174 yards and the game-winner, but threw two interceptions.

"He made some mistakes. I had Pat Julmiste warming up in the second half, but Matt is a competitor," Leavitt said.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

"He made some mistakes. I had Pat Julmiste warming up in the second half, but Matt is a competitor," Leavitt said.

STICK WITH GROTHEEE THRU THICK AND THIN

HE IS OUR JOHN ELWAY

LET HIM PLAY

DONT HAVE PJ WARM UP

HAVE FAITH AND CONFIDENCE IN GROTHEEE.HE WILL NOT LET USF DOWN

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

STICK WITH GROTHEEE THRU THICK AND THIN

HE IS OUR JOHN ELWAY

LET HIM PLAY

You said it,  Keep Growth in there.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT HAVE PJ WARM UP

HAVE FAITH AND CONFIDENCE IN GROTHEEE.HE WILL NOT LET USF DOWN