• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usa today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

SOUTH FLORIDA

INSIDE SLANT

As you probably know if you've followed any sport at all, manpower situations have a way of working themselves out. If you have too many starting pitchers in baseball, you trade one and another gets hurt. It's the same for any sport.

Which brings us to the South Florida quarterback situation. Saturday night, the Bulls started the season with two No. 1s  senior Pat Julmiste and freshman Matt Grothe. The Bulls may have ended the 41-10 erasure of McNeese State with one  Grothe.

Relieving an injured (thigh) Julmiste in the second quarter, Grothe was 9-of-13 for 171 yards and two touchdowns as the Bulls took care of their 1-AA visitors. The score was more lopsided because of a late flurry by the home team. Grothe also ran for 58 yards and a touchdown.

"I knew, when I got in, I wanted to show what I could do," Gothe said after the game. "I really wanted to show what I could do. I know if I got my opportunity I could (show what I could do), and I know I'll get more opportunities in the future."

Grothe was reportedly the better of the two quarterbacks in fall camp, but USF coach Jim Leavitt rewarded Julmiste, a senior captain, with the start.

Grothe, who was supposed to play the second half, entered the game 2:18 into the second quarter, and his first pass was a six-yard completion to Amp Hill. Late in the third quarter, he threw his first college touchdown, a 47-yard strike to Marcus Edwards.

Said Leavitt, whose team played without three players (including Julmistes's brother, Josh), all reportedly suspended for failing drug tests: "Matt did a great job. We all saw that."

Julmiste, who made his 24th college start, his 12th in a row, said he expects to be ready for Saturday's game against Florida International, but added, "I'm banged up. It's kind of frustrating."

NOTES, QUOTES

GAME BALL GOES TO: QB Matt Grothe  While many felt he was the better of the two quarterbacks in camp, Grothe had to come off the bench Saturday night, and did so with a 9-of-13, 171-yard passing performance in the win over McNeese State. Grothe, a freshman, was supposed to play the second half but came on early in the second quarter when Pat Julmiste got hurt. He also netted 58 yards and a TD on the ground.

KEEP AN EYE ON: The USF defense  Led by a talented group of linebackers, the Bulls will be able to stop people this season, limiting McNeese to 163 yards of total offense Saturday night, 69 after halftime. "That's something we take serious at South Florida  the defense," said LB Stephen Nicholas. "The defense sets the tone."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I about broke down in tears. I had waited all my life to play in a college football game and I finally get my first touchdown (pass). I didn't think I was going to get as emotional as I did."  Freshman USF quarterback Matt Grothe after his second pass was a 49-yard TD to Marcus Edwards in Saturday night's opening win over McNeese State

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

LOOKING GOOD: Freshman QB Matt Grothe  Many felt he should have started in the first place, but the young man, who was slated to play the second half, came off the bench early in the second quarter and went 9-of-13 for 171 yards and two touchdowns in the opening win over McNeese State. He also netted 58 yards and a TD on the ground.

CB Trae Williams  The junior blocked a punt and had an interception in the opener.

RB Walt Smith  The senior ran for 70 yards and two scores on just 10 carries, with a long of 24.

WR Marcus Edwards  He caught three passes for 62 yards, including a 47-yard TD from Grothe.

RB Keeley Dorsey  The freshman ran 52 yards for a touchdown late in the game.

STILL NEEDS WORK: Well, the first score of the USF season was a touchdown against, as freshman punter Ilia Petrov dropped a snap in the end zone, picked the ball up and then missed as he tried to kick it. He had one punt for 25 yards, while fellow freshman Delbert Alvarado had one for 32.

ROSTER REPORT: Complicated. The three players  WR Jackie Chambers, DE Josh Julmiste and RB Ricky Ponton, are all reportedly suspended for failing drug tests, but the official explanation of them not playing Saturday was "coach's decision."

RB Moise Plancher, the favorite to replace the departed Andre Hall, suffered a right knee injury in the first half and didn't return.

OT Thed Watson, the mainstay of the O-Line, left with a left ankle injury.

OT Marc Dile injured his left knee and didn't return.

Freshman RB Keeley Dorsey was cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse and made his debut.

Watson and DE Jarriett Blue were cleared academically to play but DT Tavarious Robinson was not and was held out.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Good find Steve.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Great quote:

"I about broke down in tears. I had waited all my life to play in a college football game and I finally get my first touchdown (pass). I didn't think I was going to get as emotional as I did." — Freshman USF quarterback Matt Grothe after his second pass was a 49-yard TD to Marcus Edwards in Saturday night's opening win over McNeese State

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

was this article actually in the usa today?

they have a special section online

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Great quote:

"I about broke down in tears. I had waited all my life to play in a college football game and I finally get my first touchdown (pass). I didn't think I was going to get as emotional as I did."  Freshman USF quarterback Matt Grothe after his second pass was a 49-yard TD to Marcus Edwards in Saturday night's opening win over McNeese State

Clearification: He was refering to his rushing TD. The pass part showed up in McMurphy's story...which is what this USA Today story is based on.