• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4 USF Players Sign Free-Agent Contracts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

4 USF Players Sign Free-Agent Contracts

Published: Apr 27, 2004

TAMPA - The NFL draft might not have unfolded the way South Florida linebacker Maurice Jones and receiver Huey Whittaker had imagined, but they - along with two other Bulls - will get an opportunity to make an NFL roster after signing free-agent contracts.

Jones signed with Green Bay, Whittaker with Pittsburgh, receiver Elgin Hicks with Indianapolis and running back DeJuan Green with Oakland.

``Every kid that plays college football hopes to get drafted because it's such a big production now,'' said Jones' agent, Chad Wiestling. ``But the bottom line is where you're playing in September; not how you got there.''

Jones thinks he will be a good fit with the Packers.

``I'm excited. Green Bay was really high on me and talked to me before the draft and kept in contact with me during the draft,'' Jones said. ``I'm ready to go up there and compete and do whatever it takes.''

Whittaker was thankful for the opportunity.

``I'm happy to be going somewhere,'' he said. ``The draft didn't go like I hoped, but going to Pittsburgh is a good opportunity for me. I'm anxious to show them what I can do.''

Hicks chose one Manning over another.

``It came down to the Colts and the Giants,'' he said. ``And we felt Indianapolis was the better situation for me, competition-wise. But I feel great about this chance and can't wait to prove myself.''

Like his former teammates, Green looked for the team that fit him best.

``Tampa Bay and Atlanta were also in the mix, but they already have several established backs'' said Green's agent, Gene Burrough. ``Oakland gives DeJuan the best opportunity to stick.''

Gregg Becnel

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGATRZQBJTD.html

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

good luck fellas

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365

What does signing as a free agent mean?  Is there any guarenteed money?

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

What does signing as a free agent mean?  Is there any guarenteed money?

I depends on the specific details of the contract.

It usually depends on the player actually making the cut to play on the team.  But i'm sure there will be some (read small) amount of money in the short-term.

NAM37

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63

I think they get the signing bonus which is real small but its guarenteed money.      GO BULLS!!!

BIGJL

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

the only thing guaranteed in the NFL is the signing bonus no matter who you are, from signing as a FA to Peyton Manning.  They all prob signed for league minimum, which I wanna say is in the 300k range, and then recieved a small signing bonus 50-100k.  not sure about the signing bonus range, that's just a guess.  

You need to be registered to read that newspaper story. Perhaps, you could copy and paste it here.

From another story:

Free agency successes

Travis Garvin from Southeast High and Booker and USF's Maurice Jones shouldn't despair about not being drafted this past weekend by an NFL team and signing free-agent contracts instead.

In the past two years, 115 undrafted free agents have survived to join opening day rosters. One of the most famous undrafted players is Kansas City running back Priest Holmes, who, in 2001, was the first undrafted player to win the league's rushing title since 1954. He signed with Baltimore as a free agent out of college.

Two of the Dallas Cowboys' best defensive backs in their storied history, Cliff Harris and Cornell Green, were undrafted free agents. Harris, who came from Ouachita Baptist College, was a six-time Pro Bowler and member of the NFL's Decade of the 1970s team.

Garvin, a wide receiver, should be inspired by former Dallas receiver Drew Pearson, another undrafted player, who led the league receiving for two years and had a standout career.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040427/COLUMNIST15/404270530

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

interesting, i followed the link directly off of benmaller.com earlier and it worked fine.... oh well here is the pertinenet info....

Packers add free agents

Two linebackers, guard, tackle sign

By BOB McGINN

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: April 26, 2004

Green Bay - Linebacker Maurice Jones, a three-year starter at South Florida, and three players who were never full-time starters at Division I-A schools have been signed as free agents by the Green Bay Packers.

South Florida linebacker Maurice Jones was signed to play the weak side in Green Bay.

Jones is joined by guard Atlas Herrion of Alabama, tackle Jason Hilliard of Louisville and linebacker Kevin Jackson of Hawaii. Previously, it was reported that the Packers signed tight end Keith Willis of Virginia Tech and quarterback Scott McBrien of Maryland.

Jones, 6 feet 0 1/2 and 242 pounds, was signed to play the weak side in Green Bay. He started on the strong side in 2001 and '02 for South Florida before moving to the middle in '03, when he led the Bulls in tackles with 116. He had 12 1/2 sacks in all.

"Plays hard," San Francisco 49ers scout John Brunner said. "Not real instinctive. He's a slow reactor. Big kid. Not bad speed."

At the combine, Jones ran 40 yards in 4.68 seconds, had a 35 1/2-inch vertical jump and put up 225 pounds on the bench press 26 times.

jones426.jpg