• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4 USF Players Sign Free-Agent Contracts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Last year USF also ended up with 4 undrafted free agents. Here is where they are at present:

Marquel Blackwell - AFL Tampa Bay Storm

Tavares Jurineack - AFL Orlando Predators

Maurice Tucker - NFL New Orleans Saints

Hugh Smith - Waived by NFL Europe Cologne Centurions

Here is where the three drafted players from 2003 are:

Kawika Mitchell (2nd round) - NFL Kansas City Chiefs

Shurron Pierson (4th round) - NFL Oakland Raiders

DeAndrew Rubin (7th round) - NFL Europe Scottish Claymores

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

as we recuit and get better players more will get to play on sunday

Jones, Garvin sign

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

Maurice Jones and Travis Garvin didn't have time to be concerned after the NFL draft ended Sunday without their names being called.

Both went to sleep that night knowing they would have an opportunity to show off their skills in an NFL training camp after agreeing to free agent contracts.

Jones, a University of South Florida and Booker High linebacker, signed with the Green Bay Packers.

Garvin, a football and basketball standout at Southeast High before playing wide receiver at Missouri and West Virginia, signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Undrafted free agents typically sign for the league minimum ($230,000) and have to make the team to get the salary. Garvin, however, received a $5,000 signing bonus.

Jones and Garvin will be at rookie camps for their respective teams on Thursday.

"Green Bay called me before the draft and told me they wanted me, but had some needs they had to take care of first," Jones said.

"I also received calls from the Cleveland Browns and Carolina Panthers, but I felt Green Bay was the better fit for me because they need linebackers and the linebacker coach wanted me.

"Head coach (Mike) Sherman called me and said the linebackers coach liked the way I rush the passer and play a lot of positions. I think they want to use me more on the outside because of my speed."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040427/SPORTS/404270309/1006

FOOTBALL

Hicks to sign with Indy

Former Charlotte and USF receiver will report to Colts' mini-camp on Thursday.

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

TAMPA -- Peyton or Eli Manning? Who would you rather be catching passes from?

Former University of South Florida wide receiver Elgin Hicks, a Charlotte High graduate, was in the unique position to make that choice on Monday.

Hicks wasn't selected in this past weekend's NFL draft. But the Indianapolis Colts and New York Giants called his agent on Monday to ask if the 5-foot-10, 190-pounder would sign with their respective teams as an undrafted free agent.

Hicks said the choice was easy. He feels the chances of making the Colts roster are better and he'd rather have a veteran quarterback tossing passes to him, anyway.

The draft controversy surrounding Eli, who refused to sign with San Diego and was traded to the Giants, didn't earn any points with Hicks.

"The Giants called me two weeks ago and asked me to report to their mini-camp on May 6, but I like the situation with the Colts better," Hicks said.

Hicks will report to the Colts rookie mini-camp on Thursday where he expects to sign a three-year contract. The money is not guaranteed and he is not sure if he will receive a signing bonus.

"The Colts called on Sunday and said they would have two spots open on their roster and were bringing in four to five undrafted receivers," Hicks said. "They will keep seven receivers on their roster and I like my chances. They told me that they liked my numbers and how I played this year."

After two disappointing seasons following his transfer from the University of Florida, Hicks blossomed this past season. He turned out to be the team's clutch receiver and topped the Bulls with seven touchdown receptions.

Hicks led USF with a 16.1 yards per catch average, catching 28 passes for 451 yards.

"The Colts are a better fit for me because of their style of offense," Hicks said. "I am coming from a four-receiver offense, which is what they run, and I am familiar with."

Hicks said he wasn't discouraged about not being selected in the draft.

"It doesn't matter how I came into the NFL. The main thing is that I get there," Hicks said.

Hicks has been clocked at 4.43 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He will turn 23 in June and will graduate this weekend with a major in Social Science and Criminal Justice.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040428/SPORTS/404280675/1006

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Two of the Dallas Cowboys' best defensive backs in their storied history, Cliff Harris and Cornell Green, were undrafted free agents. Harris, who came from Ouachita Baptist College, was a six-time Pro Bowler and member of the NFL's Decade of the 1970s team.

Yeah, and that was when there were only 26 teams and the draft was 17 rounds long.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

he will graduate this weekend that is a great statement

they have 2 spots and bring 5 guy's in so show your stuff baby

and hope he sticks with this pass happy team, also he will have dungy no better player coach in the NFL.