• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

sporting news big east preview

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Big East College Football Preview

Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 0  

Posted: August 21, 2006

Sporting News

Teams, trends and players you gotta know

It's a dead giveaway. When you're successful, when you're winning championships, your offensive line coach is the first to be lured away--or in this case, the first to be praised.

"It all starts with Rick Trickett," West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez says.

There are two reasons Rodriguez -- the it coach in the college game --- heaps praise on his offensive line coach: 1.) He deserves it; 2.) A little praise (and a subsequent raise) never made a guy look for greener pastures.

At this point, there is no assistant coach more in demand than Trickett, a longtime assistant who has perfected the art of zone blocking. The technique has been around for years (see: Wisconsin, LSU, Minnesota), but it's an art form with Trickett, who gets undersized linemen to dominate the interior, where games are decided.

The Sugar Bowl, in which WVU toyed with Georgia's faster and more physical front seven, was Trickett and the Mountaineers' coming-out party.

A few months later, assistant coaches were flocking to Morgantown to learn the zone-blocking technique. It wasn't long after that when Rodriguez, in the middle of contentious contract negotiations, got significant raises for his assistants as part of his extension through 2012.

A little praise, a little raise. A dead giveaway, all right.

Observations from Big East coaches

When I watch Cincinnati, I see a lack of team speed. They line up from tackle to tackle and beat the crap out of you. But if they have to turn and run to the sideline, it's a different story. This probably is the least talented team in the conference. . . .

Louisville is more of a Southern-style team, an athletic team that can run. But if you keep pounding on those guys, they buckle a little bit quicker. I think (Bobby) Petrino is a hell of a coach with a pretty good staff. But I think a tough, conditioned and disciplined team can beat those guys. . . .

Pitt is talking of improving team speed, but I think you have to recruit that. That won't change overnight. (Paul) Rhoads is a good defensive coordinator, but I think he's better when they let him run his scheme. . . .

I think Rutgers has better quality players. They look like a different team. They are able to run the ball. Ray Rice emerged last year. I don't think he's a burner, but he's a good running back. . . .

South Florida has some kids who can really run but are a little undersized, especially on defense. Their coach (Jim Leavitt) is a different duck. He runs sprints with the players in pregame and won't shake your hand and won't talk to you. He has this whole "we're gonna kick your ass" thing going. He's freaking crazy. . . .

I don't know about Syracuse. I still think they have a little ways to go. They are trying to run a Denver Broncos-type offense, but I'm not sure they have the linemen to do it. Their biggest problem is their quarterbacks need to step up. . . .

I think Connecticut is trying to get just good, solid, tough kids to play hard. And for the most part, their kids do. I have been impressed with their defense the last couple years. For the talent they have, UConn does as good a job as anybody on defense. . . .

No question I'm getting sick of hearing about West Virginia's offense. They got a little bit of a rep. (Rich) Rodriguez plays to the talent he has. They are very simple but are smart in that they toss a lot of screen passes that are easy to throw and their linemen can go downfield.

PICTURE-PERFECT

The stuff we just love about the game

WEST VIRGINIA/Simple Gifts

It's loud. It's crazy. It's insane. And the Mountaineer hasn't even fired his rifle yet. Just another Saturday afternoon in Morgantown. Blame the Pride of West Virginia. It's the band that sets the tempo for one of the nation's most dreaded cauldrons.

Victories are sweetened when the band, players and fans serenade one another with the state's unofficial song: "Take Me Home, Country Roads."

But everyone's heart beats a little faster during a pregame show that is legendary. At one point, the band morphs into the outline of the state and marches from one end of the field to the other before flipping and repeating.

The highlight comes during the song "Simple Gifts." The band forms a big circle and marches inward, forming a tighter circle. Suddenly, the band pivots and fans out in another big circle, blaring the tune. It's enough to make some fans choke up.

And don't forget ...

Louisville: Cardinal Express cabooses

Pitt: The Panther growl

South Florida: "Go Bulls" hand symbol

Syracuse: Otto the Orange

UConn: Jonathan the Husky.

Projected Finish

1. West Virginia

2. Louisville

3. Pitt

4. South Florida

5. Connecticut

6. Rutgers

7. Cincinnati

8. Syracuse

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

beating pitt should make our season.

if we win the ones we should and do not implode we should finish 3 in BE

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Sporting News

Teams, trends and players you gotta know

It's a dead giveaway. When you're successful, when you're winning championships, your offensive line coach is the first to be lured away--or in this case, the first to be praised.

"It all starts with Rick Trickett," West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez says.

There are two reasons Rodriguez -- the it coach in the college game --- heaps praise on his offensive line coach: 1.) He deserves it; 2.) A little praise (and a subsequent raise) never made a guy look for greener pastures.

At this point, there is no assistant coach more in demand than Trickett, a longtime assistant who has perfected the art of zone blocking. The technique has been around for years (see: Wisconsin, LSU, Minnesota), but it's an art form with Trickett, who gets undersized linemen to dominate the interior, where games are decided.

The Sugar Bowl, in which WVU toyed with Georgia's faster and more physical front seven, was Trickett and the Mountaineers' coming-out party.

A few months later, assistant coaches were flocking to Morgantown to learn the zone-blocking technique. It wasn't long after that when Rodriguez, in the middle of contentious contract negotiations, got significant raises for his assistants as part of his extension through 2012.

A little praise, a little raise. A dead giveaway, all right.

Observations from Big East coaches

When I watch Cincinnati, I see a lack of team speed. They line up from tackle to tackle and beat the crap out of you. But if they have to turn and run to the sideline, it's a different story. This probably is the least talented team in the conference. . . .

Louisville is more of a Southern-style team, an athletic team that can run. But if you keep pounding on those guys, they buckle a little bit quicker. I think (Bobby) Petrino is a hell of a coach with a pretty good staff. But I think a tough, conditioned and disciplined team can beat those guys. . . .

Pitt is talking of improving team speed, but I think you have to recruit that. That won't change overnight. (Paul) Rhoads is a good defensive coordinator, but I think he's better when they let him run his scheme. . . .

I think Rutgers has better quality players. They look like a different team. They are able to run the ball. Ray Rice emerged last year. I don't think he's a burner, but he's a good running back. . . .

South Florida has some kids who can really run but are a little undersized, especially on defense. Their coach (Jim Leavitt) is a different duck. He runs sprints with the players in pregame and won't shake your hand and won't talk to you. He has this whole "we're gonna kick your ass" thing going. He's freaking crazy. . . .

I don't know about Syracuse. I still think they have a little ways to go. They are trying to run a Denver Broncos-type offense, but I'm not sure they have the linemen to do it. Their biggest problem is their quarterbacks need to step up. . . .

I think Connecticut is trying to get just good, solid, tough kids to play hard. And for the most part, their kids do. I have been impressed with their defense the last couple years. For the talent they have, UConn does as good a job as anybody on defense. . . .

No question I'm getting sick of hearing about West Virginia's offense. They got a little bit of a rep. (Rich) Rodriguez plays to the talent he has. They are very simple but are smart in that they toss a lot of screen passes that are easy to throw and their linemen can go downfield.

PICTURE-PERFECT

The stuff we just love about the game

WEST VIRGINIA/Simple Gifts

It's loud. It's crazy. It's insane. And the Mountaineer hasn't even fired his rifle yet. Just another Saturday afternoon in Morgantown. Blame the Pride of West Virginia. It's the band that sets the tempo for one of the nation's most dreaded cauldrons.

Victories are sweetened when the band, players and fans serenade one another with the state's unofficial song: "Take Me Home, Country Roads."

But everyone's heart beats a little faster during a pregame show that is legendary. At one point, the band morphs into the outline of the state and marches from one end of the field to the other before flipping and repeating.

The highlight comes during the song "Simple Gifts." The band forms a big circle and marches inward, forming a tighter circle. Suddenly, the band pivots and fans out in another big circle, blaring the tune. It's enough to make some fans choke up.

And don't forget ...

Louisville: Cardinal Express cabooses

Pitt: The Panther growl

South Florida: "Go Bulls" hand symbol

Syracuse: Otto the Orange

UConn: Jonathan the Husky.

Projected Finish

1. West Virginia

2. Louisville

3. Pitt

4. South Florida

5. Connecticut