• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Alwan Lee not eligible to play at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

With someone having trouble becoming eligible, I don't know that I'd want him running our offense.

What's with these kids? Hit the books, then the field.

You'd be shocked about the number of student-athletes that struggle to be eligible. Hit the books, then the field in theory is the right thing to do. In reality many of these kids still think they are going to be playing at the next level somewhere and see school as secondary to their playing career.

We'll be fine without him, there are plenty of guys on this team that can step in and take his spot.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  42
  • Days Won:  0

OK, the kid can't play this year. There is no need to bash him, you don't know what his problem was. Alot of kids barely make it, I hope he works thing out.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

There is a NATIONAL epidemic problem with male academic achievement in the US, leading to the statistic nobody seems  to care about, that only 40% of the college students are male; and the problem for african american males is much, much, much worse. You then add in the system of preferential treatment given many top athletes in HS and you have the problem faced by USF and most other big state schools with their football academics. There just are not enough academically qualified players. I know the staff is working to improve the level of academics among USF football players, but there is a balancing act with the demand for winning. I think JL is doing a fine job with that balancing.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

We have got to start looking elsewhere for good recruits. I am sick and tired of hearing about the recruits we have gotten, only to hear that they are academically ineligible. Someone is not doing their job in making sure these kids are eligible. Major teams may have 1 or 2, but we seem to have 5-6 or more. Quit looking just to Florida for recruits. I am sure there are many states that have quality players that have the grades. We are still in the trailer mentality. It's time to quit the speculation for a player, only to find out he's a bust. We will never advance to the next level, if we keep on this track. I am all for giving a kid a chance, but where it's borderline or a lost cause but he is a blue chipper, give the schollie to one that deserves it!    Reaper

this is the leavitt way

Reaper, chill we intentionally signed more players for this very reason.  Leavitt at the time only had like 22 scholarship to give and he signed 28 players.  He knows what he's doing, Leavitt will always sign a few extra with the anticipation of 1-2 falling through, that's what most schools do.  

The key is if a top guy gets eligible then we land a coup, if not, then we threw him love and can still work on him while at JC.

People over-analyze, or maybe under-analyze this situation.  It's not a big deal.

yeah leavitt looks like a genius

leavitt needs to sign  35 players