• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

KR,USFMIKEB AND OTHER BOSTonians

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Ran in the Marine Corp Marathon in DC in 1996... did not have a qualifying time for Boston though. I was one of those fun runners if you call running 26.2 miles fun.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

What was your time?  just curious.   What is the qualifying time?

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

he's thinking:  "WTF am I doing?"

LOL...Probably.  

I don't want to tell you my time, but I finished 14015 out of 21000 runners. Qualifying time for Boston is 3:15 for men. Put it this way... my ego was bigger than my brain going into it! Spent two straight months at sea, was told I could get four days of special duty leave by running in the marathon, got to see my folks back home and got drunk the night before... life as the almighty conquering 21-year old. Let me train for six months with a partner and no doubt in my mind I will qualify for Boston. Maybe I'll give it a shot in Arizona...

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

I don't want to tell you my time, but I finished 14015 out of 21000 runners. Qualifying time for Boston is 3:15 for men. Put it this way... my ego was bigger than my brain going into it! Spent two straight months at sea, was told I could get four days of special duty leave by running in the marathon, got to see my folks back home and got drunk the night before... life as the almighty conquering 21-year old. Let me train for six months with a partner and no doubt in my mind I will qualify for Boston. Maybe I'll give it a shot in Arizona...

****, you are some athlete if you can get drunk the night before a marathon that you did not train for and still finish it.  My hat is off to you even if you are an Orioles fan.

I had to finish... it was part of the deal the Navy had given me. Four days of special liberty that I didn't get charged for... at the same time the worst hell I ever put my body thru... exception being freshmen camp at USF. What was crazy about that marathon was seeing about 300 people run off the course at the beginning of the race to go piss. They didn't want to lose their position before the race, so they waited until it started. It was funny.

I also remember my nipples bleeding from my shirt rubbing me while running and having to throw the shirt away... and my underarms being torn apart (chaffing). All along the route people were throwing vaseline under their arm pits... initially I was like what? About 15 miles into it, I understood why.

The funniest part was I did train a little bit. I was on a fast attack submarine, not a ballistic missile sub, so there was no where to run like in the movie Crimson Tide where you see Denzel doing laps in the missile compartment. I use to goto this one spot in the engine room and would run in place in front of a ladder an hour at a pop while listening to my walkman. That was my exercise. Like I said, we spent two months at sea, so I had to do something to keep busy before the marathon.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

why aren't there  any kenyans wide receivers in NFL or at least at college level?

i realize lots on kenyans are log distance guys but you  would think you would have some with blazing speed.

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

why aren't there  any kenyans wide receivers in NFL or at least at college level?

i realize lots on kenyans are log distance guys but you  would think you would have some with blazing speed.

No hands...gotta have soft hands.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

The Americans are the best sprinters, kenyana are built for distance, unless the NFL goes to the 100 mile field instead of 100 yards you wont see kenyans.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

100 mile field.. hmm interesting... you could pack in alot of fans... first 10 million fan stadium?