• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GREAT JOB AD woolard

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

If any other BCS team played a schedule like this we'd be jumping all over them

Auburn's 2004 non-conference schedule - Louisiana-Monroe, The Citadel and Louisiana Tech (all at home)

Penn State's 2005 non-conference schedule - USF, Cincinnati and Central Michigan (all at home)

UConn's 2006 non-conference schedule - Rhode Island, Wake Forest, Army, Navy (all at home) plus at Indiana

Virginia Tech's 2006 non-conference schedule - Northeastern, Cincinnati, Southern Miss and Kent State (all at home)

NC State's 2006 non-conference schedule - Appalachian State, Akron, East Carolina (all at home) plus at Southern Miss

The first two went to BCS bowl games, and the latter three are all upcoming and are all worse than our current non-conference slate.  Start jumping.

USFFan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that how as a fan can you really say you were that good when you know you didn't play that many nationally tough opponents. I wanna see my team be the best, in order to do so you gotta beat the best. As for attendance, is their any game that the average fan will be wowed by? Outside Pitt (and it's a stretch) this home schedule has no cajones.

This is a program that has played 100 games total in our history.  While I think all of us have aspirations of trying to win national championships, we also have to recognize that it won't happen overnight.  No program has gotten to a bowl game faster than us in the last half century, and yet it's amazing how even THAT isn't apparently good enough for a bunch of our "fans."  If we continue to build our program and show recruits that we have a legitimate chance of playing in BCS bowls, we'll start getting the top tier players.  After a few years of that, THEN we'll have a legitimate reason to start playing brutal schedules.

USFFan

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Auburn's 2004 non-conference schedule - Louisiana-Monroe, The Citadel and Louisiana Tech (all at home)

Penn State's 2005 non-conference schedule - USF, Cincinnati and Central Michigan (all at home)

UConn's 2006 non-conference schedule - Rhode Island, Wake Forest, Army, Navy (all at home) plus at Indiana

Virginia Tech's 2006 non-conference schedule - Northeastern, Cincinnati, Southern Miss and Kent State (all at home)

NC State's 2006 non-conference schedule - Appalachian State, Akron, East Carolina (all at home) plus at Southern Miss

The first two went to BCS bowl games, and the latter three are all upcoming and are all worse than our current non-conference slate.  Start jumping.

USFFan

Whoa...lets look at the schedule as a whole.

That Auburn team played LSU (16th), Tennessee(13th), and UGA(6th)...to add the Citadel game was supposed to be a game against #22 Fresno State, who bought out because of over scheduling

Penn State played Ohio State (4th), Michigan (RV), Wisconsin (15th)

UConn...your kidding right?

Va Tech's schedule includes Miami, BC, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Virginia...all teams who could be top 25 this season and were in bowl games last year.

NC State plays FSU, BC, GT and Clemson.

USFFan...comparing our OOC to the ACC and SEC cannot be done, they play one more in conference game than us against better teams.

We have 2 25 cailber teams on our schedule with Pitt as a WAY outside darkhorse. It's not even close.

Whoa...lets look at the schedule as a whole.

That Auburn team played LSU (16th), Tennessee(13th), and UGA(6th)...to add the Citadel game was supposed to be a game against #22 Fresno State, who bought out because of over scheduling

Penn State played Ohio State (4th), Michigan (RV), Wisconsin (15th)

UConn...your kidding right?

Va Tech's schedule includes Miami, BC, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Virginia...all teams who could be top 25 this season and were in bowl games last year.

NC State plays FSU, BC, GT and Clemson.

USFFan...comparing our OOC to the ACC and SEC cannot be done, they play one more in conference game than us against better teams.

We have 2 25 cailber teams on our schedule with Pitt as a WAY outside darkhorse. It's not even close.

So now you're pissed off that we're not in the SEC?  The USF athletic director doesn't schedule conference games, only non-conference games.  Seems to me that Woolard did a better job of scheduling those non-conference games than Auburn's AD did in 2004.  

Right now, USF is guaranteed a BCS bid if they win the Big East conference, which has to be Leavitt and Woolard's #1 goal.  Once we show we can do that regularly, then and only then will we be in a position to schedule with a national championship in mind.  

USFFan

This is a program that has played 100 games total in our history.  While I think all of us have aspirations of trying to win national championships, we also have to recognize that it won't happen overnight.  No program has gotten to a bowl game faster than us in the last half century, and yet it's amazing how even THAT isn't apparently good enough for a bunch of our "fans."  If we continue to build our program and show recruits that we have a legitimate chance of playing in BCS bowls, we'll start getting the top tier players.  After a few years of that, THEN we'll have a legitimate reason to start playing brutal schedules.

USFFan

Where in there did I say National Championship or bust?

All I am saying is it's proven that you aren't going to earn yourself anything. Texas Tech was 9-3 last season, yet they were the lowest ranked 3 loss team because they were constantly berated for their terrible schedule.

K-State was 11-1 and 4th in the country and left out of the BCS and 2 Big 12 bowl games because their SOS was in the bottom 20%...they ended up having to play 7-4 Purdue in the Alamo Bowl...weeks before that they were ranked as high as #2.

SOS means something, I'm not saying lineup 5 heavy hitters. I'm saying take 2-3 games and put 1 I-AA team, a small conference team (Sun Belt, MAC, WAC), a mid Major (UCF, So Miss, TCU)...then take the remaining two teams and schedule a Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, or Tennessee. Someone with a structural spine of a football program...not some cellar dwelling Kansas and UNC, schools where football is a place to drink until basketball season starts.

So now you're pissed off that we're not in the SEC?  The USF athletic director doesn't schedule conference games, only non-conference games.  Seems to me that Woolard did a better job of scheduling those non-conference games than Auburn's AD did in 2004.  

Right now, USF is guaranteed a BCS bid if they win the Big East conference, which has to be Leavitt and Woolard's #1 goal.  Once we show we can do that regularly, then and only then will we be in a position to schedule with a national championship in mind.  

USFFan

Sweet Jebus,

NO! Your missing the whole freaking point. I'm not saying why can't we be in another BCS conference. I'm saying there is a difference between the conference schdule in the ACC/SEC/Big 10/Big 12 than the BE.

To further add, Auburn usually plays one of the hardest schedules in the country. That year they lost their home game against Fresno State, because of a scheduling SNAFU by Fresno State, and as a result their schedule suffered. They did not get to play for the national title. The years before they played USC and after they scheduled GT. However, they were penalized for their SOS...

Sweet Jebus,

NO! Your missing the whole freaking point. I'm not saying why can't we be in another BCS conference. I'm saying there is a difference between the conference schdule in the ACC/SEC/Big 10/Big 12 than the BE.

To further add, Auburn usually plays one of the hardest schedules in the country. That year they lost their home game against Fresno State, because of a scheduling SNAFU by Fresno State, and as a result their schedule suffered. They did not get to play for the national title. The years before they played USC and after they scheduled GT. However, they were penalized for their SOS...

This thread is about SMAZZA ripping Woolard for the fact that Woolard scheduled too softly.  I just showed you that the AD's only job is to schedule non-conference games, since the conference schedules the rest.  Seems to me I'm pretty much spot-on with respect to the point.  

Rather, you are the one who is whining about USF not scheduling a strong enough schedule, when the point has been made that USF's ability to play in a BCS game has nothing whatsoever to do with our strength of schedule and the only thing that WOULD be affected by it would be USF's ability to play in a national championship game.  Ergo, whining about our schedule being too soft is tantamount to whining that USF needs to win a national championship or bust.  

USFFan

To further add, Auburn usually plays one of the hardest schedules in the country...

2006 Auburn non-conference schedule - Washington State, Buffalo, Tulane and Arkansas State (all at home)

2005 Auburn non-conference schedule - Georgia Tech, Ball State and Western Kentucky (all at home)

Wow, I'm blown away.  None of those schedules compares with @ Penn State, @ Miami, UCF and FAMU, which was USF's schedule just this past season.

USFFan

I think I said a few lines up that we could still make the BCS with a couple harder games. We are not going to a be an at large BCS bid for a very long time, so there is no sense is worrying about it.

However, ADs know their conference schedules years beforehand. They plan accordingly.

And I don't believe your that on point. This year there is teh 12th game. MOST of the BCS schools have a top level team scheduled:

Texas-Ohio State

Tennessee-California

Georgia-Colorado

Even in our conference:

Cincy-Ohio State

Louisville-Miami

Pittsburgh-Virginia

Syracuse-Iowa

Looking into the future,

Pittsburgh has loaded up their schedule...Iowa, ND in 2008, Miami, Clemson, and ND in 2009.  

Syracuse has Penn state and ND in 2008, Washington and Va Tech in 2010

WVU has FSU and Auburn signed in the same year

Louisville has GT and K-State in the same year...plus games at UK and Vandy...that 4 OOC BCS teams, 2 regular bowl programs.

Cincy has Ohio State and Georgia scheduled in the same season...

Yet we don't want to play Florida and Miami in 2009???

I think I said a few lines up that we could still make the BCS with a couple harder games. We are not going to a be an at large BCS bid for a very long time, so there is no sense is worrying about it.

However, ADs know their conference schedules years beforehand. They plan accordingly.

And I don't believe your that on point. This year there is teh 12th game. MOST of the BCS schools have a top level team scheduled:

Texas-Ohio State

Tennessee-California

Georgia-Colorado

Even in our conference:

Cincy-Ohio State

Louisville-Miami

Pittsburgh-Virginia

Syracuse-Iowa

Looking into the future,

Pittsburgh has loaded up their schedule...Iowa, ND in 2008, Miami, Clemson, and ND in 2009.  

Syracuse has Penn state and ND in 2008, Washington and Va Tech in 2010

WVU has FSU and Auburn signed in the same year

Louisville has GT and K-State in the same year...plus games at UK and Vandy...that 4 OOC BCS teams, 2 regular bowl programs.

Cincy has Ohio State and Georgia scheduled in the same season...

Yet we don't want to play Florida and Miami in 2009???

Because we're trying to spread out the tougher games so that we avoid seasons like this one, which seems to be your biggest problem.  If we played both Miami and Fl*rida in 2009, we'd have a relatively weaker schedule in 2010.  Now we play one major team every season through 2013.  

Honestly, I think you're ******** about all of this just to hear yourself ***** about it.  I personally think Woolard did a smart thing in moving that game, and I'm much happier with him looking into scheduling 1 for 1's with other BCS schools than taking lopsided games with stronger opponents.  

USFFan