• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Always wondered exactly what some of those "great benefits" include. I consider myself a bulleiver, but wondering why I should pay for it ... Thanks for any insight.

Ya know, THAT is the question we hear over and over... What do I get for my money? Man to Man, I'll tell ya, the answer aint' that simple.

If you're looking for freebees, they could give you a shirt, some notepads and a nice pen or two. Some trinkets that'll be chewed on by puppy dogs or little kids or eventually end up on the bottom of your junk drawer. Junk that's too cheap to pay for or too obsolete to care about.

If you're looking for prestige, They give you a fifteen percent discount at the bookstore, so you can snobbishly flash your Alumni card in front of the student cashier who really doesn't give a ****.

But if you're looking to be part of something, the USF Alumni might be for you. All B.S. aside, I joined the Pinellas County Alumni Chapter to get more out of it than just the usual.  Every day I try to make the P.C.A.C. known through the community, as well as worthy of my own time. Remember, your Alumni society is only as good as effort you put into it.

Constantly, we are building a bright future for BULLS NATION in the community by involving ourselves with charitable programs such as the Ronald McDonald house and the American Cancer Society. We create public kinship by holding away-game tailgate socials and having fun. We visit museums, we ride in parades, we involve current students and strangers all the while spreading the word about USF.

We do what we can, and we're not perfect, but we try. There's some things I'd like to change about it too, so I'm working on it from the inside. It's not for everybody, it's not about everybody, but if you'd like to try and do some good while supporting USF, you'll at least get that out of it.

Mutt is right -- if you are looking to get something tangible out of it, you probably won't.

Being a member of the Alumni Association is about connecting with your alma mater... it's about showing pride as an alum.  By being a member you signify to the rest of the world that yes, you are proud you attended the University of South Florida.

It's not like you're being asked for a lot - $40 a year is not that much money.  Heck, that's barely a full dinner for two at Outback.

Not to mention that A.A. programs actually help students - the legislative internship program, for example, allows students to have a real-world experience in public service.  The Ambassadors program provides leadership training for students who will go on to be leaders in our community.  The AA even does little thing like help graduating seniors "get it together" for the graduation ceremony.

You also can participate in the Alumni Assocation events - usually centered around Homecoming... you can join a geographic chapter or a programatic society... you can volunteer to serve on a committee... and then you get the intangible benefit of feeling good about giving back.

Sure, it's not for everybody... but I would think every alumni on this board can see the real benefits are more than chotchkies and tshirts.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO MARKETING

usf needs to do a better job it seems

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

Terrific comments about the USF Alumni Association.  Spring Commencement 2006 realized USF's 200,000th graduate!!!  We are now over 200,000 strong globally.  Check out inCircle on the Alumni web site too to catch a glimpse of groups from Japan, Tampa, Philadelphia, Law, Hillel, Sigma Chi, Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Panama and more......Go Bulls!!!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142

is there anyway to see if youre a member or not? I think I am, but I have nothing to show for it...

Let me ask you, have you renewed recently?  You have to renew your membership every year unless you become a lifetime member.  You should have an Alumni card that gets sent to you each time you renew.  If you don't or can't remember the last time you renewed, email Merrell.  He should be able to look into it for you.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142

BTW, the Pinellas County Alumni Chapter will be having a chapter meeting June 6 at 6pm, at the Tri-City Chili's, located on the corner of US 19 and East Bay Drive.  We will be discussing our summer events: Beach Clean Up/picnic, Ronald McDonald House dinner, Pre-season football tailgate and many other things.  Come out and get involved!!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO MARKETING

usf needs to do a better job it seems

I would think going to the school for 4 or 5 years should be a good enough maketing to join

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

i've always thought word of mouth was a good way to get things out to people, but bausfkid, your going alittle far with similar posts every other day on this subject.  like i said you want to preach to a crowd go to the usf campus and preach to the students, or go call up all the alumni and tell them to go join.  everybody here knows the benefits of joining, and have either joined already or will join up after graduation.  and mutt, i care when i get shown a usf alumni card at the bookstore, i like talking to the alumni, and seeing what they are up to.  met one the other day, who got all three of her degrees from usf, ba, ma, and dr. she is now going to be teaching at the university of texas.