• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sarosi win state title.  Found another one fo

Guest AstroBull

Guest AstroBull

Astronaut girls take state title

Curry's MVP performance triggers Astronaut's romp for 4A crown, 54-38

BY MIKE CHERRY

FLORIDA TODAY

Enlarge this image

Big day. Astronaut's LaQuita Curry, who scored 26 points and was named the tournament MVP, hugs teammate Vicky Williams, foreground, after the War Eagles won the Class 4A state basketball title at The Lakeland Center. Craig Bailey, FLORIDA TODAY

MULTIMEDIA

PHOTOS:

Astronaut: Class 4A state champs

WEB EXTRAS

RELATED STORIES:

Hostetler doesn't hold back

ADVERTISEMENT

Past champs

Astronaut becomes Brevard County's seventh girls basketball team champion, and the most recent since Melbourne Central Catholic (2002): 1978-79: Cocoa 1979-80: Melbourne 1982-83: Satellite 1987-88: Cocoa Beach 1990-91: Astronaut 2001-02: Melbourne CC 2005-06: Astronaut  

LAKELAND - LaQuita Curry grabbed the Astronaut team torch, not to mention a state tournament MVP trophy, a year earlier than anyone expected.

The 5-foot-10 junior forward, scoring 17 of her game-high 26 points in the second half, led Astronaut to the Titusville school's second state girls basketball title with a pulling-away 54-38 victory over Orlando's Bishop Moore in the Class 4A championship game Saturday afternoon.

On a team often led in recent seasons by Stephanie Sarosi, the University of South Florida-bound center, Curry became the most dominant player in the 4A final four.

She also grabbed 10 rebounds, giving her a combined 41 points and 20 rebounds in two state tournament games. That came on the heels of last weekend's 29 points (21 after halftime) in a comeback regional final win over No. 2 Jensen Beach.

"Nothing really changed," Curry said of Saturday's second half. "He (coach Gregg Hostetler) said to step it up one more notch, and we did."

The victory was the 17th straight to end the season for Astronaut (29-2), which lost only to 5A Spruce Creek and 1A power Orlando Christian Prep. Hostetler, who has coached the War Eagles for 28 seasons, also coached Astronaut to the 1991 title.

In the second half Saturday, Curry continually beat the fifth-ranked Hornets (28-4) to the basket, often spinning toward the baseline.

"We didn't realize how quick she was," Bishop Moore coach Sean Brady said. "My game plan was to stop her, but I did the wrong thing. We didn't cut off the baseline. We knew she was good, but after playing against her, she's the best we've played against."

But the War Eagles were more than Curry in the game played before about 750 fans at the Lakeland Center.

The 6-5 Sarosi ended her four-year varsity career by leading all rebounders with 12 (23 in two games) and scoring nine points. Sophomore ShaRhonda Haynes added 13 points, three steals and eight rebounds. Senior Vicky Williams hit a 3-pointer, scored five points and added five assists.

Williams lamented she could not return for another season at Astronaut.

"My eligibility's too high," she said.

The title is the first in girls basketball for a Brevard County team since Melbourne Central Catholic won the 2A championship in 2002.

"I felt we could do it," Hostetler said. "I didn't know if we would. This was one of our better-played games."

Bishop Moore, which saw its 17-game win streak snapped, was led by junior Jacky Nikic's 18 points. The Hornets, however, shot just 30 percent from the field (16 of 53) and were outrebounded 41-32. Both teams had 16 turnovers as Bishop Moore lost a state final for the second straight season (Class 3A last year to Monsignor Pace).

"I'm used to getting my jump shot off," said Bishop Moore forward Alexandra Zamora, who made 1-of-8 shots. "I'm not used to those hands up there."

Astronaut's game plan against a balanced Bishop Moore team was simple -- force those who handle the ball onto their respective off-hands.

"They were small, but they were quick," Nikic said. "Their size did a lot (to alter shots)."

A Haynes three-point play gave Astronaut a 25-17 lead late in the second quarter, but the Hornets cut the edge to 25-21 by halftime. Curry then grasped the game, scoring 11 of Astronaut's first 12 second-half points.

"She has matured tremendously as a person," Hostetler said of Curry. "She listens better, takes coaching criticism better. If LaQuita can handle it (in college), she can be a very nice ballplayer."

Curry said earlier this year she is torn about whether to pursue volleyball or basketball in college. Following her two state tournament games, she no longer needed to answer that question with another year still to play at Astronaut.

"Basketball," she said.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

jose f knows how to recruit

he has built a good program

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  1

jose f knows how to recruit

he has built a good program

How long did we wait again?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

I will defer to your judgement Astro, but the one picture I have seen of her she didn't look too skinny to me.  Given who her brother is, I didn't think it would be possible.  Are you a relative?

Guest AstroBull

Nope just watched the team a lot this year.  She has the frame to add a lot of muscle.  But I fear she will be picked on a lot by some of the stronger post players next year.  I am excited that another AHS student will be playing at USF and i'll be there for most of the games.