• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pittsburg's wOe line

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Woe-line

By Kevin Gorman

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Sunday, April 4, 2004

The only thing that has been consistent about Pitt's offensive line this spring is that coach Walt Harris has been particularly critical of its play.

Harris says he can't properly evaluate his running backs or quarterbacks because the former gets little time to run and the latter even less in pass protection.

"That was a weakness on last year's football team on offense," Harris said, "the offensive line, in running and protecting the passer."

That it's only gotten worse has something to do with three players -- left tackle Rob Petitti (shoulder), left guard Matt Maiers (leg) and center Justin Belarski (foot) -- missing spring drills with injuries.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/college/pitt/s_187748.html

Bad O Line against our defense smells of fumbles, sacks and interceptions

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Don't forget also that they will have a Freshmen QB in there. I hope we don't hurt him too bad.  ;D

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

FICTIONAL DIALOGUE

DATE: Sept. 4, 2004  PLACE:  RJS

LRS Jr:  MattieG...Do u smell that?

Matt Groelinger:  Yeah man Junior!

LRS Jr:  What is it?

MG:  Come on man, uz a 6th yr senior.  You know!

LRS Jr.:  Yea I know!  Just makin' sure you do.

MG:  Lets go get sum.

LRS Jr.:  When?!

MG:  After the ball is snapped!

Hutt Hutt...Snap

MG & LRS Jr:  Arrrrrrrgghhhhhh!

CRUNCH! CRACK! SNAP!

PITT QB:  UGGG! UFFFFF! OOHHH CRAP!

LRS Jr.:  Get some?!

MG:  Yea Man!

LRS Jr.:  Taste good?!

MG:  Freshman QB meat always taste good.  Gonna get me some more.

LRS Jr.:  ME TOO BABEE!  ALL NITE LONG!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

LOL

;D

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Portion of  Q & A with Pittsburgh Post-Gazette beat writer Paul Zeise:

Q: I know this is a young team but given the schedule the Panthers will play, maybe I am an extreme optimist, but I think they can go undefeated if they get back to fundamentals. What do you think?

Tom Cheftbone of Ocean City, Md.

ZEISE: A whole lot of things would have to go perfect, not just right, but perfect, for that to even have a chance of happening. In fact, eight or nine wins is going to be a stretch for this team because there are so many questions all around. The biggest is the offensive line. Spring drills have been [hard] to figure out because either the defensive line is the second coming of the Purple People Eaters or Steel Curtain or the offensive line is taking matador lessons. Every play seems to be a jailbreak on the quarterbacks. And I'd estimate that at least one out of two field goal attempts seem to get blocked. You can't win if you can't block people and right now I see a whole lot of holes up front. The schedule is also tougher than you think. Opening at South Florida in early September is not easy for anyone, much less a completely rebuilt team with a lot of younger players filling major roles. It is going to be like 100 degrees or so and the heat and humidity could become a major factor early.  ;D

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04100/298704.stm

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Nice story Howie...  maybe monday afternoon labor day game would be a bigger advantage than saturday evening.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Portion of  Q & A with Pittsburgh Post-Gazette beat writer Paul Zeise:

Q: I know this is a young team but given the schedule the Panthers will play, maybe I am an extreme optimist, but I think they can go undefeated if they get back to fundamentals. What do you think?

Tom Cheftbone of Ocean City, Md.

ZEISE: A whole lot of things would have to go perfect, not just right, but perfect, for that to even have a chance of happening. In fact, eight or nine wins is going to be a stretch for this team because there are so many questions all around. The biggest is the offensive line. Spring drills have been [hard] to figure out because either the defensive line is the second coming of the Purple People Eaters or Steel Curtain or the offensive line is taking matador lessons. Every play seems to be a jailbreak on the quarterbacks. And I'd estimate that at least one out of two field goal attempts seem to get blocked. You can't win if you can't block people and right now I see a whole lot of holes up front. The schedule is also tougher than you think. Opening at South Florida in early September is not easy for anyone, much less a completely rebuilt team with a lot of younger players filling major roles. It is going to be like 100 degrees or so and the heat and humidity could become a major factor early.  ;D

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04100/298704.stm

and usf is a better team than the one that beat you in 2001 esp. the defense

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this is a team we should beat

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

And after seeing how our D played on Saturday, am sure we'll CONTROL their O-Line.

Searcy played quite a bit yesterday and the line looked real good.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

controling LOS is key to winning football games