• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can we even hope?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

hmmmm....I wonder what RB transfer your talking about  ;)

can he play THIS year?

if not then ho hum!

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

That RB is a big deal. I read about him on Scout this morning.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Transfers are always risky....from what you guys are inferring I assume he must be a blue-chip type talent, otherwise it's not worth it.  They always have some baggage and there is usually more to the story....

amazing, it hasnt happened and you have no idea even who it is, yet you are already trying to spin it as negative

Guest FreaKnight!!!

amazing, it hasnt happened and you have no idea even who it is, yet you are already trying to spin it as negative

I'm not spinning anything.  Transfers always bring some issues to the table.  It's not just a USF issue, that's true for just about any school.

Guest S.  Bien
Bien, Eric Smith from Armwood is actually only going to be a Junior.  I was met with Coach Callahan and 3 of his senior prospects today.  He gave me highlight tapes of all of them including Smith, we even sat and watched the tape of Torrey Davis DE.....WOW!!!!

Also, Id be careful when you call Devine a head case when you havent met him.  I know its tough to defend him with all the stories out there, but I dont think "head case" is appropriate.  Does he have a ton of baggage? yes.  But I dont think he's a head case.  He's been through more than probably any of us can imagine, and on top of that he happens to be one of the best football players in the country so people dont always have HIS best interests in mind.  Has he made mistakes? sure, but I dont think you can call him a head case.  

I know where your coming from b/c I was one of those people that said he'll never pan out, but if you know him and know his story you'd pull for him.  

Josh Newberg

Josh,

I thought Eric was a junior, only a soph?  Wow, he'll be a good one as a senior, his daddy was a great one in the area.  

Torry's a stud, stud.  He impresses me more than John Brown, more upside, more versatility....Torry really hasn't tipped the iceberg just yet.  If you like Torry then hopefully you'd seen highlight clips of USF's Jarriette Buie.  He was the Torry Davis before Torry Davis.  I will never forget Buie's 3.5 sack, 5.5 tfl night in the regional playoffs against Countryside.  He victimized Beck so bad at QB I was certain that's why he never considered USF because he still had nightmares of Jarriette.   But Buie is more of an edge rusher, and Torry may one day slide inside to three technique.  Those coaches at Da Wood got a factory going, give Cal five more years and he could build the type of program he was interviewing for last month.

I am well aware of Noel Devine's situation.  I don't know him personally, but know people that do.  He's got no real strong adult supervision which is hurting this kid's potential.  I pull for him, I pull for all HS kids because I once coached these kids a bit, but I've seen great ones like him also fall by the side, and sadly Noel Devine's situation is parelleling players like that, you know the Dishon Platts, Rashown Marshall, and Raymond Neals of the world.  All-world HS athletes from the area, but issues on a personal level they couldn't overcome.  Sometimes those personal demons, no matter how hard you try, suck you back in.  In this case, it will be tough for Noel to get it together and make it to college.

My point was Noel's baggage is significant.  Particularly in an upcoming year when FL could lead the nation for top RB, and QB recruits.  We've got 3-4 more in this area that aren't Noel, but pretty close.  The two at Lakeland are as good as they get.  USF should put a ton of effort there.

Guest Josh Newberg

yeah, Smith was a soph. last season.  I have his highlights and Im going to try to get it up within the next couple days.  

When I was at Armwood yesterday I watched the tape while I waited for Torrey to come to coaches office, the first question I asked after seeing how big he was, was if he is going to move inside when he gets to college.  He said he wants to and thinks he can be more effective in the 3 tech.  But of course with a kid like this there is a catch......GRADES

I absolutly agree that Devine has a ton of baggage, but in his case not all of its his fault.  Regardless he has it, but I think there are far more kids that cause the problems themselves and I dont think he's one of them.

Josh Newberg

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it makes little sense to recruit kids that cant play right away when you need talent

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737

Josh, dont make the mistake of assuming there is a reason for Smazza's post.

Its just a chance to be critical.

Guest Josh Newberg

Recruiting is a process not a quick fix.  You should never recruit a 17 yr old to come in and play right away.  If he does then thats great, but you shouldnt count on it.  If they start recruiting that way then the program is in BIG trouble.  

Josh Newberg