• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scholarships

Guest ncaascout

Guest ncaascout

How many schollies are left? I was under the impression that we maxed out for this year which would not leave any for possible transfers such as Rascatti. The ideal situation would be to get a transfer to walk on for the season while he is sitting out anyway and then give him a schollie for his remaining years playing.  We should hear about possible transfers this month-only hearing rumors at this point.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S. Bien
How many schollies are left? I was under the impression that we maxed out for this year which would not leave any for possible transfers such as Rascatti. The ideal situation would be to get a transfer to walk on for the season while he is sitting out anyway and then give him a schollie for his remaining years playing.  We should hear about possible transfers this month-only hearing rumors at this point.

There are lots of rumors floating around.  The big issue with transfers is scholarships available.  They are already going to be forced to blue shirt a few recruits from this class because of the lack of scholarships.  Heck we have recruit Carlton Williams, that big 6-4 200lbs safety sitting and waiting until the spring because we don't have enough schollies.   I think Mullins' move to safety is a way to send a message to him, and indirectly suggest a transfer.  Everyone knows he doesn't stand a chance seeing any time at safety, he wasn't even the most athletic QB.

Don't be surprised if its not Rascati, but a name no one has mentioned here. ;D

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with s.bien on this one.  I think all the position changes are indirect messages to players that their days are numbered.  And what about Severino?  I think he is done the day after the spring game.  Broward holsey is another one that is probably out the door too.  Didn't he start out here as a d-line man and know he's on o-line but not seeing the field.  I thought the whole point of switching positions was to see if you could get on the field faster not to move down the depth chart.  I think CJL knows exactly what he is doing and the scholarships will work themselves out so we have to best players on the field for next season so that we can win the confrence title and be in position for a top 10 finish.    BIG JL

GO BULLS!!!

Guest S. Bien
I agree with s.bien on this one.  I think all the position changes are indirect messages to players that their days are numbered.  And what about Severino?  I think he is done the day after the spring game.  Broward holsey is another one that is probably out the door too.  Didn't he start out here as a d-line man and know he's on o-line but not seeing the field.  I thought the whole point of switching positions was to see if you could get on the field faster not to move down the depth chart.  I think CJL knows exactly what he is doing and the scholarships will work themselves out so we have to best players on the field for next season so that we can win the confrence title and be in position for a top 10 finish.    BIG JL

GO BULLS!!!

Good points, but sometimes position switches are not always a bad thing.  Sometimes a player is clearly destine for another position like Tim Jones.  In the case of Mullins it seems pretty obvious, given his short period of time with this team, that moving him to safety is telling everyone he isn't even close at QB, and at safety he isn't close athletically speaking.

As far as Hosley the move had more meaning then just lighting a fire.   First, he was injured most of his freshman year so didn't get a chance to show much at DT.  Then, when they moved him we were real shallow at OT, and needed him to switch.  Third, Hosley didn't excel at DT, and he lacked some of the dimensions to be an effective DT, and was too slow to play DE for Leavitt.  Actually, from what I was told Hosley was told they wanted him at OL when he was signed.  They gave him a shot at DT, and when he didn't excel they moved him to the position the coaches wanted him at originally.  I actually believe that Hosley's real long arms, 6-5 frame, and quick feet would be ideal for Offensive Tackle.  If Hosley embraces this move he could become a real stud OT.

Moving players definitely is a message, with some exceptions like a Tim Jones.  Another exception is when a player comes in more as an athlete and the staff tries to find a place for him like a Bruce Gipson or slightly like Hosley.  Typically it tells the kids that you aren't what we need at the other position, so either relish your new role, and try to excel, or move along and let us find someone that will.  In Mullins case I think its a little harsher.  They obviously believe he has no shot at QB, and didn't even give him this spring to prove it (which would have been only his second spring practice) which is the only real position on this team that Mullins would have any shot at playing.  So thereby moving him to Safety, not even WR, or TE, is telling him that he will never play QB, and at safety it won't take him long to realize he will never see time there either.

Mullins may move along a free up some spots.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

It's just great that we have soo many kids wanting to be BULLS. Next year's class will be small, but with great NEEDS I am sure.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63

I agree S. Bien.  I also belive that our recruiting class coming in will exceed the expectations that every one thinks.

BIG JL

GO BULLS!!!

Guest BasketBull.

Q: Does the NCAA place limits on the number of scholarships a program can have, or can people donate extra scholarships?

In other words, if boosters shell out ca$h for extra scholarships, is that legal?

My question stems from a reference I had read somewhere about USF basketball, about some donor had financed a roster spot.  ---What did that mean?

Thanks!

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

NCAA limits scholarships.  The donor probably paid for the annual scholarship cost, kind of like endowing a chair at a university.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Don't be surprised if its not Rascati, but a name no one has mentioned here. ;D

Sure would like to hear the rumor you heard!

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

Basketbull -

The NCAA limits every Division I school to 85 scholarships, period.  There are no extra provisions for "booster funded" scholarships.

From a historical perspective, the number was reduced by the NCAA form unlimited; initially reduced to 115, then down to 95, and then again to the current 85.

Many experts believe this single move by the NCAA has had more effect on the paridy of NCAA football then anything else.