• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

a sucker is born every day

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

Ponson Has New Look for Fresh Start By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer

ST. LOUIS - Sidney Ponson has a new look to go with his fresh start: a full head of hair. The right-hander, who signed a free-agent deal with the     St. Louis Cardinals last month, showed up at the team's Winter Warmup on Sunday with dark brown, curly locks. In the past he shaved his head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ponson said he stopped doing that in mid-September, shortly after the     Baltimore Orioles voided his contract and then released him.

"I think my hair makes me look skinnier," he said. "Actually, I weigh the same but I've trimmed down a little bit.

"The only thing I've been doing is working out and watching TV."

Ponson, who signed a $1 million contract, is looking forward to reviving his career after a series of missteps in recent seasons. Ponson had a $7.5 million salary last year before legal troubles sidelined him.

He was arrested Aug. 25 and charged with driving under the influence and driving while impaired. He served a five-day jail sentence last month for driving while impaired, and the charge of driving under the influence was dropped under a plea agreement.

Ponson said he hasn't had any alcohol since the arrest. He spent time in rehab, and is regularly seeing a counselor in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., who specializes in dealing with addictions.

"In this 4 1/2 months I probably craved it once or twice," Ponson said. "It's like a habit. I used to associate beer with water sports and the first time I went home to do water sports I'm going, 'A cold beer would be nice right now.'

"But my counselor says don't think about it, just enjoy it and it goes easier."

Ponson has assured Cardinals manager Tony La Russa that he'll seek a counselor in St. Louis, too.

"I'm going to find somebody, I told Tony when we had a meeting," Ponson said. "It's an ongoing battle and it's not easy, but you have to want it to do it, and I want to do it."

Ponson said he doesn't consider his last two seasons wasted, including a 7-11 record and 6.21 ERA last year. He realizes there will be a spotlight on everything he does in St. Louis.

"It's going to play out when the season starts," he said. "Old issues will rise and things like that, I know that, I've been in this game for so long.

"You lose a couple of games and they're going to ask you if you're doing this or doing that, and I have to deal with that."

Ponson is prepared for whatever the Cardinals want him to do, whether that means pitching out of the bullpen or starting. The team will enter spring training next month with six potential starters, including rookie Anthony Reyes.

Ponson, the opening day starter for the Orioles in 2004, said the adjustment would be mostly mental.

"I just have to do what I need to do and whatever they come up with," Ponson said. "If Reyes is going to be the fifth starter, so be it, I'll be in the bullpen and I don't have a problem with it.

"I'll help any way I can, I just want to go to a     World Series and win it all."

Teammate Albert Pujols, the NL MVP, knows Ponson can help the Cardinals get there.

"He's got some good stuff," Pujols said. "If he puts his head straight, I'm telling you he's going to help us out a lot.

"I've heard he's doing a lot of changing."

However he's used, Ponson anticipates just being part of the staff as opposed to his days as the ace in Baltimore. Chris Carpenter won 21 games and the NL Cy Young Award last year, and the Cardinals also have Mark Mulder, Jeff Suppan and Jason Marquis.

"In 2004 at the start of the season, getting a big contract put so much pressure on me," Ponson said. "As soon as I lost my first game I wanted to go out there and do better, I wanted to do super good, and that sometimes backfires.

"And it did backfire on me."

Ponson plans to report to the Cardinals' spring training site in Jupiter, Fla., in early February about two weeks early. Pitchers and catchers report on Feb. 16.

"I think there's a lot left in the tank," he said.