• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kraky can start this year?  The poll at southfloridabulls.com saya people believe he can.  I am not agreeing.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

From the Tampa Tribune:

Offense Opens Up In Closed Workout

Published: Apr 4, 2004

TAMPA - A week after being dismantled by the defense, South Florida's offense had a productive outing in Saturday's 100-play scrimmage, which was closed to the media.

``We executed better as an offense today and the defense struggled a little bit more than they usually do,'' quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said. ``Today was better than last Saturday, so I'm happy.''

Sophomore QB Pat Julmiste and senior Ronnie Banks worked with the first team and Evan Kraky, who threw two interceptions, took the majority of the snaps with the second team.

``Our quarterbacks are getting better. All three did a good job,'' Smith said. ``Pat's still our starter, but Ronnie had the most productive day of the quarterbacks. And we wanted to get Evan as many snaps with the second team as we could to see what he can do.''

Julmiste hit Joe Bain with a long pass to set up the first score - a 1-yard sneak by Julmiste.

Banks, who has been limited this spring while recovering from knee surgery Feb. 6, engineered two consecutive scoring drives against the No. 1 defense.

``We weren't going to play Banks much, but I think he got a little competitive and wanted to get with the first team,'' Bulls coach Jim Leavitt said.

``And he drove the first team right down for a score.''

Banks, who completed five of seven passes, threw a 40- yard touchdown pass to Allynson Sheffield, then scored on a 5-yard run the next series.

``Ronnie's still limited, but I wanted him to get some work with the ones to get some continuity,'' Smith said. ``We know what he can do. I just want to keep him fresh and not get rusty.''

Despite Banks' impressive performance, Leavitt said he is in a battle with Kraky for the No. 2 spot behind Julmiste.

Senior Brian Fisher, who has been dealing with legal issues, returned to the team for the scrimmage. During red zone drills, Fisher scored on a 3- yard run.

``It felt good to be back out there,'' he said.

Leavitt said Fisher can't practice with the team during the week because ``he's required to go to study hall.''

Senior K Santiago Gramatica had a solid outing, hitting four of five field goals, including a 50- and 51-yarder.

OL Derrick Sarosi and John Miller were held out of the scrimmage.

Gregg Becnel

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Like the long FG's by Santiago and glad to see Kraky get more snaps.

From the Times:

USF's Top Units Meet

TAMPA - USF completed its final tuneup in preparation for next weekend's spring game with a 100-play scrimmage.

The two-hour scrimmage differed slightly from last weekend. Instead of the No. 1 offense and No. 2 defense facing off - and vice versa - both No. 1s primarily played against each other.

Unlike last weekend's scrimmage, which was dominated by the defense, the offense looked sharp and drew praise from coach Jim Leavitt.

"The offense had an outstanding day," Leavitt said. "The biggest change was our quarterback play. All three quarterbacks looked good."

Starter Pat Julmiste went 7-of-13 for 113 yards and a rushing touchdown. The score was set up by a long pass to Joe Bain. Julmiste capped the drive with a 1-yard run.

Ronnie Banks, who sat out last weekend's scrimmage recovering from offseason knee surgery, worked with the No. 1 offense and went 5-of-7 for 56 yards.

"(Banks) had the most productive day, definitely," quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said.

Banks engineered consecutive scoring drives capped by a 40-yard pass to Allynson Sheffield and his 5-yard run.

Evan Kraky went 12-of-24 for 86 yards but threw two interceptions. Despite them, Leavitt said Kraky "had an outstanding day" and the backup quarterback position appears wide open.

Santiago Gramatica made 4 of 5 field goals, including 50- and 51-yarders. Linebacker Ronnie McCullough had a sack and a fumble recovery. Utility player Brian Fisher, held out last week after being arrested on suspicion of failing to pay child support, participated. Leavitt said Fisher won't practice this week and his status for the spring game is unclear.

- BRANDON WRIGHT

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i hate the fact that QBs run so much

Guest S. Bien

Good to read Ronnie McCollough is starting to make a move.  It sounds like he is starting to recover from that knee injury.  Once he's 100% and back to his old self watch him slowly assert himself.  I am telling everyone to watch Ronnie McCollough, this kid was an absolute steal in recruiting.  If he can be 100% of the player he was watch him slowly start grabbing playing time, until 2005 when he will reign in the middle.

The time is now for guys like Balloon, McCollough, St. Louis, Dorrean James, and Moffitt.  In the fall we bring in Mompremier, Carlyle Johnson, and CJ Hunnicutt.  All I can say is the staff rave about Carlyle Johnson, and Coach Burnham says he has legit 4.4 speed at 6-3 240lbs!  We all know about Mompremier, and I believe, as do many high school experts that CJ Hunnicutt could be one of the best defensive players USF has ever signed, if not at least LB.  That's saying A TON!!!!!  I was told by someone that Dorrean James runs a sub-4.5, and is fast as can be, the only problem is right now he's only about 205lbs.  He needs to get bigger and start making a move because the boys that are coming in are ready for the challenge.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Hey Bien when did we pick up Carlyle Johnson?  Was he a late pick up in the recruiting class.  If he is legitimately that big and that fast then watch out.  Our LBs are awesome and coach Burnam needs some credit for that.  As a whole our defense is starting to accrue some serious depth.  If the offense starts clicking which it did this saturday then it should be fun come this fall.

Guest S. Bien
Hey Bien when did we pick up Carlyle Johnson?  Was he a late pick up in the recruiting class.  If he is legitimately that big and that fast then watch out.  Our LBs are awesome and coach Burnam needs some credit for that.  As a whole our defense is starting to accrue some serious depth.  If the offense starts clicking which it did this saturday then it should be fun come this fall.

Matt,

Yes, Carlyle Johnson was a late addition to our class.  His bio isn't even listed at gousfbulls.com, and he wasn't in any of the papers, BUT we did sign him, and both Leavitt and Burnham have spoke about him.

He played at one of the top JUCO's in America out of San Francisco. He was a 2 year starting OLB that originated from Bartow, FL.  He's a 6-3 240lbs LB that apparently runs a sub-4.5 forty, and is very strong.  We loved him out of HS but he had no chance on eligibility so we never signed him.

FYI, there is another Big Safety out of Valdosta, GA that apparently signed with us on signing day, but never really did.  He didn't sign because we didn't have enough scholarships, but he plans to come in the fall and enroll in the fall, and will get a scholarship in the spring.  His name is Carlton Williams.  He is 6-3 200lb safety, that chose USF over UL, Duke, WF, and UCF.  In fact it looked like he was going to sign with UCF, until we came in and offered a schollie for spring 2005.  A solid all-state GA player that played in all the GA all-star games.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365

I thought I read previously in the paper that Fisher was out for the spring, then I hear that he was in Saturdays scrimmage.  Now I read that he is not participating the rest of the spring.  Whats up?!?!?

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

It seems that he WILL NOT practice but was in scrimmage. I think that was because of our lack of RB this spring. I would rather he stayed out completely.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Per the paper today he is not practicing on weekdays in order to attend study hall and is only practicing on weekends.