• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

which one is worse

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

chiefs for hiring edward to begin with

or chiefs giving a draft choice for a coach that was about to get fired

what a bad hire

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Bring 'em on, says Herman Edwards. He's ready to take charge of the good and the bad, the talented and the mediocre, and the lazy and the energetic as the new coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I can coach anything you give me -- good players, great players. That's my job as a coach," he said.

Edwards' spirited introduction to Kansas City on Monday seemed at times to be part news conference and part old-fashioned evangelical crusade. His voice seeming to bounce off the walls, the 10th head coach in franchise history refused to take any questions about the intrigue that led to his departure from the New York Jets.

But he was full of platitudes and coaching homilies, and promised to conduct himself with integrity while squeezing the very best out of everybody who fell under his scrutiny.

To illustrate his point, he told a favorite story about a Baptist preacher addressing his congregation.

"Who wants to go to heaven?" he said. "Everybody raises their hand. Who really wants to go to heaven? Everybody raises both hands. Then he says, `Who wants to die?' Amazing how many put their hands down. It's called sacrifice. It's called being committed to something."

ADVERTISEMENT

Sitting in the back of the room was quarterback Trent Green, who has led the most prolific offense in the NFL the past five years. Green and other members of the NFL's only 10-win team not in the playoffs had campaigned for offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who was the first to be interviewed by Chiefs president Carl Peterson.

But listening to his new coach's passion sparked a positive response.

"I thought he was very impressive," Green said. "I thought he handled the questions very well. Obviously, he sent out a very profound message and I'm excited about it."

The hiring even makes NFL history because 17 years ago Edwards served a minority internship with Kansas City. Now he becomes the first alumnus of the league's minority fellowship program to become head coach of the team he interned with.

"I finally found my way back. You never plan on something like this until it happens," he said. "Fate has me back here. It's good to be back home."

Edwards was a star defensive back for the Philadelphia Eagles of **** Vermeil, the now-retired coach he's replacing. After his playing career ended, he became a scout and later an assistant coach in Kansas City.

He signed a four-year contract with the Chiefs after getting released from the final two years of his deal with the New York Jets, who got a fourth-round draft pick in return.

His hiring, expected for more than a week, concludes intense, behind-the-scenes wrangling between the Jets and Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson, who has been Edwards' friend and mentor since he tried to recruit him to UCLA more than 30 years ago.

AP - Jan 9, 6:02 pm EST

More Photos

The 51-year-old Edwards said at the outset he wouldn't take questions about what happened in New York.

"I believe in family. And what happened in New York stays in New York," he said. "So if you have any questions about what happened, I'll tell you right now, it stays with that family. ... It stays in that house, and I threw the key away."

Peterson called his longtime friend "without question, one of the most qualified head football coaches in the NFL today."

"From a personal standpoint, I have wanted to do this for many years," Peterson said.

Edwards' hiring leaves seven coaching vacancies in the NFL: the Jets, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, New Orleans, Oakland and St. Louis.

In addition to Edwards, the other new coach hired is Brad Childress, Philadelphia's former offensive coordinator who was hired by Minnesota.

The Chiefs, 44-36 the past five years under the now-retired Vermeil, were the only 10-win team not to make the playoffs this season. With an aging but still effective offense and a defense that finally has shown signs of getting better, it's one of the most attractive jobs to open.

"The one thing I do know, the players that play on this football team will play for the name on the side of the helmet and not the name on the back of the jersey," said Edwards, who was 39-41 in New York but reached the playoffs three times.