• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

bostonians in baseball simply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

don't mesh

These are tense times for the Dodgers because spring training was eventful for all the wrong reasons.

New owner Frank McCourt did not deliver a productive hitter as promised, his wife's harsh comments about the former regime stirred concern throughout the organization and an opposing general manager labeled players as underachievers while attacking their character.

"It is what it is," right fielder Shawn Green said Thursday after the Dodgers closed Grapefruit League play with a 9-0 loss to the Montreal Expos at Space Coast Stadium.

"Regardless of what's been done above us [by management], or what's been said, we have a job to do on the field. I think that's what everyone is focused on now."

The Dodgers begin their final exhibition series tonight against the Angels at Dodger Stadium, hoping to shut the door on an unsettling experience. They're seeking encouragement after awaiting help that didn't arrive, trying to remain optimistic as the aggressive Angels move to paint the Southland red.

"Obviously, there was no huge acquisition that people are talking about, but we just have to believe in ourselves and we do," center fielder Dave Roberts said. "In any situation, if you go out and get a huge free agent, that makes the fans more excited."

The Dodgers have expressed disappointment about McCourt's decision to kill a deal that would have brought All-Star right fielder Vladimir Guerrero to the team in January. Bob Daly and Dan Evans, the club's former chairman and general manager, respectively, were moving toward an agreement with Guerrero's agent, Arn Tellem, team officials said.

But McCourt, apparently concerned owners would not approve his bid to purchase the Dodgers unless he toed the financial line, prevented Daly and Evans from closing the deal. Seizing the moment, Angel owner Arte Moreno made his biggest splash in a big off-season, quickly signing Guerrero to a five-year, $70-million contract.

McCourt, responding to reporters' questions about the team's major league-worst offense and the seeming need for another run producer, on Jan. 29 vowed to "sign a player who can hit" before the 2004 season. McCourt recently backed away from that comment, saying the idea of one hitter solving the Dodgers' problems is "a little bit misguided."

New General Manager Paul DePodesta, still playing catch-up after officially being hired on the eve of spring training, is in the middle of a sticky situation.

"I can understand the players' feelings," DePodesta said. "Part of me is glad that they're frustrated, because I'd have a bigger problem with it if they were just happy being mediocre. Now, there are certain ways to go about voicing your frustration, but I don't have a problem with it. Bottom line, I want a bunch of guys in the clubhouse who are winners and who expect to win.

"Obviously, the tough part from my individual standpoint is just coming in when free agency is basically over. Almost every player was signed at that point. This time of year is generally not the time where big-name players get traded. People don't create holes in their lineup a week before opening day, they do it in November so that they have plenty of time to fill that hole. That part was tough."

Jamie McCourt's comments also raised concerns.

The Dodger vice chairman pushed the bar high for the business and baseball staffs, saying the club "should have been drawing 4 million fans, not 3 million fans," adding, "this should be a team that's in the playoffs every year. To not be in the playoffs is crazy."

Jamie McCourt later clarified her comments, saying she intended to encourage, not criticize, and Frank McCourt wrote an open letter to employees, preaching patience, hard work and unity.

The couple reaffirmed their commitment to the franchise Thursday in a Dodger Stadium staff meeting in the Dugout Club, employees said. Frank McCourt also thanked the three high-ranking executives who recently resigned — Bob Graziano, team president; Kris Rone, executive vice president of business; and Derrick Hall, senior vice president of communications — saying he appreciated their efforts.

Just as things appeared to settle down, players were angered by comments from San Diego Padre General Manager Kevin Towers, who said he believed "it was more character than anything" in explaining why the Dodgers haven't had more success recently despite their resources.

Led by catcher Paul Lo Duca, the Dodgers shot back at Towers, saying he should stick to evaluating the Padres.

DePodesta hasn't joined in because he and Towers are friends. He believed Towers had "no malicious intent" and planned to "joke with him about it" during the teams' opening series beginning Monday at Dodger Stadium, but he used the situation to make a point about what should be important to the Dodgers.

"No matter what else is going on, we just have to take care of ourselves," DePodesta said. "The bottom line is that we shouldn't care what anybody else thinks of us.

"I'm glad they take offense to it and they don't like it. That's fine. But for what we want to do, all that matters is that we go out there, do our jobs and be successful."

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

California lawyers dont know how to practice law.  How in the hell could OJ get away with murder?  Oh yeah a bunch of out of state lawyers got him off.  Did McCourt sign that stiff green to a 20 mill per year contract? Did he sign that stiff darren dreifort to a gazillion dollar deal? Kevin Brown? andy ashby?

Johnny cochran works down the block from me.What are you talking about out of town lawyers?

OJ didn't kill his wife.

Mccourt just raised parking prices and didn't bring in any bats to protect green

Johnny cochran works down the block from me.What are you talking about out of town lawyers?

OJ didn't kill his wife.

Mccourt just raised parking prices and didn't bring in any bats to protect green

Why do you say OJ didnt kill his wife? Do you really believe that? I know he was found not guilty but he was not found innocent, he was just not found guilty by a reasonable doubt after a hatchet job by DA office.  He did lose his civil trial of course.  Of the 9 dream team lawyers how many were from california? Does not seem like many were.  Dershowitz is a beantown guy, F Lee Bailey is a florida guy, Neufeld is a NY guy, Scheck is a NY guy, Spaulding is a NC guy.  

Dodgers just brought in rising star but malcontent Milton Bradley.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

OJ didn't kill his wife.

Yeah, and Roseanne Barr passed up the Buffet at Shoney's last night, too.   ;D

"This wasn't about fame, it was about money.  If OJ drove a bus, he'd be Orenthal the Bus Driving Murderer!" - Chris Rock

kr- the glove  didn't fit and the jury acquit.that is as good as it gets.he can't be found more innocent. 12-0

i never thought OJ filet 2 people and had brains to get away with it. i have met him twice and both times were unpleasant. he is as arrogant and nasty as they come.

JC was lead atty and handled all key witnesses and arguments. scheck did scientifc witnesses. bailey wasn't there in end.wasn't he disbarred?

jc closed the case and is considered the lead dog

DA screwed up by asking oj to put on a glove that  obviously didn't fit.

On side note,marsha clark's kid was on my little league team.she was pretty supportive  but i also had ms california fitness' kid on my team so i paid more attention to her.when she came to park the game literally stopped.

UEI- they didn't have the weapon,they didn't have a witness that saw OJ do it or running from scene, they didn't find oj's prints on bodies.What evidence are you relying on to convict him for 2 murders?

kr- the glove  didn't fit and the jury acquit.that is as good as it gets.he can't be found more innocent. 12-0

i never thought OJ filet 2 people and had brains to get away with it. i have met him twice and both times were unpleasant. he is as arrogant and nasty as they come.

JC was lead atty and handled all key witnesses and arguments. scheck did scientifc witnesses. bailey wasn't there in end.wasn't he disbarred?

jc closed the case and is considered the lead dog

DA screwed up by asking oj to put on a glove that  obviously didn't fit.

On side note,marsha clark's kid was on my little league team.she was pretty supportive  but i also had ms california fitness' kid on my team so i paid more attention to her.when she came to park the game literally stopped.

UEI- they didn't have the weapon,they didn't have a witness that saw OJ do it or running from scene, they didn't find oj's prints on bodies.What evidence are you relying on to convict him for 2 murders?

Steve

I dont blame you for paying attention to marcia under the circumstances and I can tell you what kid would have been my captain and #3 hitter.  As far as OJ goes, he had the dream team, In your honest opinion if this was just some ordinary black man that was charged with ripping the heads off of two white people in a well to do neighborhood and the prosecution had the same case but the defense did not have an all-star team but had a lawyer with say an undergrad degree from USF or some other lame university, would the black fellow get off or would he be on death row?  Joking on USF but can you honestly say that the case was not solid and the guy would be convicted? If you say he would have been aquitted you would be in a very minute group of people in your profession I would think.  There have been people convicted of murder without a freaking body right?

most poor,blacks,hispanics get convicted of crimes charged, where they committed or not.But that is wrong.

sure,OJ's money helped but if you look at evidence objectively,i don't see a conviction.OJ is so stupid, how did he pull it off?

man you have strong opinions about the juice and bonds

most poor,blacks,hispanics get convicted of crimes charged, where they committed or not.But that is wrong.

sure,OJ's money helped but if you look at evidence objectively,i don't see a conviction.OJ is so stupid, how did he pull it off?

man you have strong opinions about the juice and bonds

I have strong opinions about anything and everything. That is just the way I am. I dont know if that is good or bad but that is who I am ???

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

Juice and bonds...KR is a trader ya know.