• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pedro vs Zimmer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

At first I was thinking what the hell is wrong with him throwing a 72 year old man to the ground, but after watching the replay I'll have to cut Pedro some slack. I missed parts of the game before that play so Im not sure what Zimmers beef with Pedro was but he came out swinging on Pedro. Most of been something big to piss Zimmer off that much.  

Just hope the BoSox can pull out the series.  I hate the Yanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Zimmer did have a good beef as Pedro threatened Jorge Posada and beaned Garcia(??? i think it was garcia).  The threat to posada was Pedro pointing to his own head and saying (and you could read his lips pretty well)...

I'll Hit you!  I'll hit you!   It was probably meant as to be intimidating, not sure if he would do it, but he had just hit garcia in the upper back... so ???

Zimmer should have NEVER came out swinging at pedro and i don't blame pedro for tossing him to the ground, zimmer is alot bigger than pedro, even for a 70+ year old.  I'm not much bigger than pedro myself, 5'11" 175, and if a 260lb 72 year old man came out swinging at me, i would toss him to the ground too.  Not the classiest event, but out of personal preservation, i would do it.  Zimmer admitted it the whole conflict was embarrassing(for both organizations) and that he knows he made a mistake.

I'm very surprised no one got kicked out of the game, I'm sure an umpire had to see that incident.  

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

Agree on that. No one got tossed, but some extremely hefty fines were levied.  I believe Pedro was fined $50,000.  Wish I could get fined 50 grand with no worries.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Not to defend Zimmer's actions but to give some backround on where is coming from for those who dont know, he was beaned 50 years or so ago by a pitcher while coming up in the minor leagues.  It crushed his skull and cause sever swelling of his brain, which caused the doctors to have to drill into his skull to release the pressure and prevent the swelling from killing him.  He was in a coma for 13 days before coming out of it.  And he also had to have a metal plate put into his head as a result of the beaning.

As I said earlier I am not trying to defend his actions but I can understand this is a serious subject for him.  I think he would have reacted the same even if it was a spring training game against the Tigers.  I think it is just an emotional thing for him.

P.S.  I do still blame Pedro for the whole thing, if he doesnt try to bean Garcia, none of this happens.

pedro definitelty started it and zimmer had reason to be mad, emotional, BUT of course that's no excuse for swinging at someone.  Much cleaner game tonight... expecting 7 games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Zimmer is still responsible for his actions to some extent. Anyone with a metal plate in their skull would be wise to avoid unnecessary violent contact to their head. I think that's why he had the Sarge helmet on but I'm probably wrong. I've forgotten more about the Yankees than I can say I know.

I'm very happy to see how sorry Zimmer was about the whole situation... very classy guy, despite what happened.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Pedro should have went into Matador mode and swept him by-- Ole!

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

I just got back from Beantown and was at the game and was about 10 rows off the field where zimmer tumbled.  he deserved what he got. Pedro was not saying that he would drill Posado in the head he was saying I will remember you(his words). Zimmer also does not have a plate in his head but has three holes where they drilled(his words).  The game was intense and the city was intense.  The two yank players in pen will be arrested today I bet. The two cops in bullpen were going to arrest them at the game and saw the whole ordeal but were ordered not to by their superior. Those two jerks beat the snot out of the sox groundskeeper cuz he was rooting for the sox. The asswhipe Garcia spiked him all over his body and nelson punched him in face a couple times. Garcia cut his hand hitting the guys teeth. The guy is a former college cnbasketball player who's real job is teaching specil ed 7th graders.  I wish I could have stayed up for todays game but sold my tix to a relative for $110 face value each. I will be back for world series game 6 and 7 if they make it that far.  The worse part of trip was after the game was rained out and the stadium exited for the trains, the trains broke down and we were stuck for about two hours before they were up and runninng(outbound only). It was pandamonium as there were about 10,000 people at station going nuts.

I can see how reading lips "I'll hit you" could be mistaken for "I'll remember you" or vice versa.  But watching pedro all these years... either one is possible and just as likely as the other.  Especially in a game vs clemens, where pedro was losing the game.