• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Entertaining Steve Otto read

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  127
  • Days Won:  0

Steve Otto reflecting on last week's losses...with a beautiful finale.

http://tampatrib.com/MGBFQDZ43GE.html

Funeral In Blue And Garnet, With Bacon

By STEVE OTTO

Published: Nov 16, 2005

We were about 30 miles out of Columbia, S.C., coming back from a long weekend trip to the North Carolina mountains.

It was early Sunday morning, and after the thrill of rolling down a few steep grades at 80 miles an hour and just ahead of all the 18-wheelers in America, I was ready for some breakfast to celebrate our arrival back in the flatlands alive.

We pulled into a Cracker Barrel, which I noticed was surrounded by cars and RVs flying the orange and blue Gator colors or the garnet and gold of the 'Noles.

I had already stopped at one gas station where the attendant, noticing our Florida tag, wanted to make sure we knew that both the Gators and 'Noles had been humiliated here in the same neck of the woods the day before. Not only that, he also wanted to make sure I knew that their coach -- the old ball coach himself, had left Florida to come to South Carolina. I was surprised he allowed me to buy gas.

Inside the Cracker Barrel, it was a most unusual gathering of Gators and 'Noles; this time with both sides working over humble pie along with the eggs, biscuits and sawmill gravy before limping home to wait till next year.

How often have you been in a place where both these storied schools have had to lick their wounds at once?

I wished I had on a USF shirt.

C'mon T-Man... you know who he is...

starwars.jpg

Kosha Irby (koh-SHAY ER-bee) is the Director of Marketing for USF Athletics (Assistant A.D. for Marketing and Events)