• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Inks Prep Standout Dante Curry BBall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Haven't heard that

Jones is being encouraged to follow in Howards footsteps and go back to his regular school to focus on academics to get eligible.

Not sure on Rob Thomas, hopefully he stays committed... very good pickup.

It is Thomas .... from Greg's blog.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

USF recruit to wait until spring

Forward Rob Thomas, a nationally coveted recruit who committed to USF in September, has decided not to sign with the Bulls in the early signing period, which opens Wednesday.

Thomas, a Brooklyn native at South Kent, a prep school in Connecticut, is committed to playing for coach Robert McCullum but wants to wait until the spring signing period, South Kent athletic director Owen Finberg said.

"He wants to take a campus visit and make sure it's the right place for him," said Finberg, who said Thomas told McCullum of his decision Thursday. "South Florida has done a great job recruiting him, and (McCullum) was very supportive and understood where he was coming from."

Finberg said Thomas cannot take an official visit until he takes the SAT, and he won't do that until February. Thomas was also considering Florida, Syracuse and Pittsburgh, but Finberg said he doesn't expect Thomas to visit other schools.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks Trip... definitely gotta stay on this kid.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

High quality recruit...

Why, because he's all-County as a junior? I think just about every D-1 player in the NCAA was all-county at some point. Most of the top-100 caliber players are getting all-state recognition by the time they're a junior.

You always have an excuse to bash.  This kid is a steal, yet you guys will go out of your way to point out things just like that, but are also quick to point out when a recruit isn't highly touted.  You can't have it both ways.... either watch how it unfolds and don't complain/praise prior to seeing them, or do your complaining when appropriate and accept when someone good is picked up.  

You guys thought Mac was crazy for going after Howard... i can't wait to see your response in a couple years.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Thanks Trip... definitely gotta stay on this kid.

I didn't realize he had commited without coming down. Hopefully they bring him in on the right weekend ...

Also, FWIW... Jeremy Mayfield, the 4 star center from Texas committed to Oklahoma.

Guest S.  Bien
High quality recruit... don't let the darksiders hear that?  They would never want to admit that Mac is actually a pretty good recruiter.  They'll just say I'll hold judgement til i see the kid play... but then when someone isn't "highly touted", they will attack Mac for not recruiting the big name player instead of reserving judgement.

From what I have heard, FSU's Leonard Hamilton said Chris Howard is going to be First Team All Big East in his freshman year (that was before his injury)... We shall see, but that is a mighty high praise from a pretty good coach that has McDonald's All-Americans on his roster.

Assuming we are healthy, which is ALWAYS a big if... next year's roster:

PG Chris Howard(rs fr)/Dante Curry(fr)/Capko(sr)

SG Collin Dennis(jr)/Dante Curry(fr)

SF Melvin Buckley(sr)/McHugh Mattis(sr)/Rob Thomas(fr)

PF Zaronn Cann(so)/Melvyn Richardson(sr)/Aris Williams(so)

C Franklin Jones(fr)/Frane Markusovic(so)

And the recruiting class isn't done yet.

Next year's team isn't shaping up to badly.

This year is going to be rough, but it will be very important to gain that experience.

Again, this doesn't help now, and only hurts to hear after the fact, but I also heard that Howard tore up FSU in the closed scrimmage.

It should be interesting to note that Howard was POY, and in the all-state in the DC/Maryland area, the other four guys that joined him on that all-state league are all playing in the Big East, or ACC.  More than a few are already making names for themselves.  Howard's teammate Sam Young, was a prized signee of Pitt, and he's expected to have a huge impact this year.  It should be noted that Howard, not Young, was the MVP of their team their senior year.  Also, the last few PG's out of this region that have made all-state have gone on to All-American status in college.  Given those facts, and insider.com had Howard as a three star, and ranked, this kid has got big time written all over him.  

Sadly, we must wait another year to see him play, but everyone that watched the team practice said this kid is the type of PG that makes everyone around him better.  He's got a very good outside shot, drives to the basket great, and has that uncanny vision to find open men and pass the ball to them.

Mac must be given a year, but a huge key to next year is Rob Thomas.  He must hold onto Rob Thomas.  If Rob makes it to USF next year, and ditto for Franklin, and Howard comes back 100% healthy I will all but guarantee this team at least makes the NIT, especially with Buckley, Mattis (another guy that everyone says we're going to be real pleased with), Dennis, and Richardson all upperclassmen and ready to go.  But to me the key is Rob Thomas, he's an NBA draft pick type of player.  He's that good, and more.  Now that the kid has slimmed up, my biggest fear is not signing him in the early period and he goes on to have the senior year expected of him and either gets huge offers from topshelf programs, and/or NBA starts sniffing.  A NYC kid, you know where he'll go.  The coaches must try to sign him before the early period concludes or my fear is our chances will diminish greatly to sign him, and without him our chances for 2006-07 post-season go too.

but I also heard that Howard tore up FSU in the closed scrimmage.

I believe Leonard Hamilton said to Mac that Howard would be First Team All Big-East in his freshman year.

Guest S.  Bien

I believe Leonard Hamilton said to Mac that Howard would be First Team All Big-East in his freshman year.

Oh that's all, only first team all-BE his freshman year....if anyone would know it would be Coach Hamilton.

It's like constantly plunging a dagger into the dead carcass...just to painful to hear or say.

After the fact, I've heard more people tell me that the coaches had believed this guy was going to be the one that took us out of the cellar.  Someone said we'd forget about Chuckie Atkins (figuratively speaking- we all love Chuckie but this kid was in that different level of PGs) after Howard was done here.  It was like the Coach Mac jinx, because I heard it from a few people, and I started to get excited about the season then he goes down.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Why, because he's all-County as a junior? I think just about every D-1 player in the NCAA was all-county at some point. Most of the top-100 caliber players are getting all-state recognition by the time they're a junior.

Correct...plus its Osceola County...believe there are only 4-5 HS in the entire County.

Still, can't turn down a tall guard regardless where he comes from.

KL