• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ashley Burns SHUTS THE HELL UP!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

Cincy is better than UCF and I believe ( and I also think the Big East thinks) that Cincy will improve. Where as who knows what direction UCF is going in.

I go to USF games because I love USF. I don't go to show I approve of who they choose to play each year.

I would continue to attend home USF vs UCF games because I have season tickets, NOT because I like UCF as a choice of opponent.

I don't understand wishy washy fans that would skip a USF home game because of the opponent.  They are not true USF fans.

But if somebody is going to misconscrew my attendance at the Citrus Bowl as being a pronouncement that I love the idea of USF vs. UCF rivalry, they are out of their ever loving minds. I would only go to support my team.

I went up to Penn State this year and had a great time. I plan on going to at least one road game each year and hopefully soon, some USF bowl games.

I went up to Cincy last year to see USF play Cincy. And we lost. Remember....

what he said...."             "

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

A rivalry will evnetually manifest itself but it's going to take some time and playing games of significance, ie games that mean something ....... Look at the Bucs/Eagles in the pros. While it's not the Eagles/Cowboys, it's a quieter rivalry because of the meaningful games played. Same with FSU/Miami, that rivalry got going because those games MEANT something to BOTH teams in the national championship picture year after year.......... Say what you want but the USF/UCF game really only MEANT something to one school.

True, but many of the games have been going on for 3 or 4 years already.  Like Louisville this weekend.  Will it develop to a rivalry?  Will it charge up the students?  

I don't know, but it seemed like there was more energy potential in last Sat's game to build on.  

I guess I'm curious if it is just message-board types declaring "we're too good for this to be a rivalry" or do all students and folks associated with the game feel the same way and never want to see it played again.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

True, but many of the games have been going on for 3 or 4 years already.  Like Louisville this weekend.  Will it develop to a rivalry?  Will it charge up the students?

We haven't played any of the BE teams more than twice up until this year. It takes time and meaning to develop a rivalry ....

I don't know, but it seemed like there was more energy potential in last Sat's game to build on.

We can't compare until after THIS Saturday as far as energy potential. The stadium and students SHOULD be more alive for this game but that remains to be seen.

I guess I'm curious if it is just message-board types declaring "we're too good for this to be a rivalry" or do all students and folks associated with the game feel the same way and never want to see it played again

I'm really not that against playing it because we NEED ooc 1-A games. I just don't think it should overshadow games like the one this Saturday. If it does that's a problem to me, anyway ....

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I guess I'm curious if it is just message-board types declaring "we're too good for this to be a rivalry" or do all students and folks associated with the game feel the same way and never want to see it played again.

Frankly, I think it's more message-board types saying "we're too good for this to be a rivalry." As was noted earlier in the thread, a LOT of current students cared enough to go to the game. They're the ones whose desires ought to carry the most weight.

Besides, status can change, and it can change quickly. It's not so long ago that UCF was having good I-A success and we were losing to the likes of Elon and Western Kentucky. A long term series, if played, will likely be more even than it looks at the moment.

Frankly, I think it's more message-board types saying "we're too good for this to be a rivalry." As was noted earlier in the thread, a LOT of current students cared enough to go to the game. They're the ones whose desires ought to carry the most weight.

Besides, status can change, and it can change quickly. It's not so long ago that UCF was having good I-A success and we were losing to the likes of Elon and Western Kentucky. A long term series, if played, will likely be more even than it looks at the moment.

I agree.  Anything above a Top 10 team can get taken down by another competitive team on the right day.  Put it in their stadium and you never know.  There is no reason UCF can't become a competitive CUSA team.   It looks far off now, but let's face it -- they are at their worst right now.

I've seen enough MAC/MWC/CUSA teams beat teams they never should beat in years gone by.

Guest S.  Bien

I agree.  Anything above a Top 10 team can get taken down by another competitive team on the right day.  Put it in their stadium and you never know.  There is no reason UCF can't become a competitive CUSA team.   It looks far off now, but let's face it -- they are at their worst right now.

I've seen enough MAC/MWC/CUSA teams beat teams they never should beat in years gone by.

I've got a great idea.  Since none of us really have the power to determine how far this series will go.  And since the excuses to keep it are getting as weak as the reasons not to, why don't we just let it die and allow the powers that be, who've done a wonderful job thus far guiding this program, decide what to do about this series.

Freak, you may want to wait around for a few years until UCF can beat us, but maybe the bigger guys would prefer to find other games, and opportunities.  I know the Midshipmen are still waiting for that day against Notre Dame.  Let's allow Leavitt, Woolard, and Genshaft decide.  They've done a great job thus far, and I trust them completely.  If they want this series to go on into perpetuity then so be it, but if they don't I wouldn't blame them either!

Anyway, this is getting sillier, and sillier.  Let's move onto UL, which is a bigger game then UCF right now, no matter how anyone tries to spin it otherwise.

I've got a great idea.  Since none of us really have the power to determine how far this series will go.  And since the excuses to keep it are getting as weak as the reasons not to, why don't we just let it die and allow the powers that be, who've done a wonderful job thus far guiding this program, decide what to do about this series.

Freak, you may want to wait around for a few years until UCF can beat us, but maybe the bigger guys would prefer to find other games, and opportunities.  I know the Midshipmen are still waiting for that day against Notre Dame.  Let's allow Leavitt, Woolard, and Genshaft decide.  They've done a great job thus far, and I trust them completely.  If they want this series to go on into perpetuity then so be it, but if they don't I wouldn't blame them either!

Anyway, this is getting sillier, and sillier.  Let's move onto UL, which is a bigger game then UCF right now, no matter how anyone tries to spin it otherwise.

OK, I'll let them do that.  Turns out they weren't waiting for my opinion (or anyone on this board's opinion) anyhow.  

Again, it doesn't matter to me either way what is decided on.  I am legitimately curious how the UCF game was received by the students and fraternities.  Maybe an Oracle writer or someone will read a thread here and do an article.   I've been impressed with the attendance of the students this year.  

That's big.  So many times these boards are about spewing negativity.  I actually like when you can look at an attended event and complement a group that has really been downright ghostly in the past.  Maybe it means USF has cleared a hurdle or maybe it just means they liked the UCF game.  

I know you have your one opinion of the game and you'll stick to it.  You are close-minded to it and hate UCF and want the 2 for 1 (as would anyone).  I think I've read enough to know your stance on the game and UCF.  I'm a little more open-minded to it and sorta enjoy reading different opinions on it. Forgive me while I listen to others give theirs.  I've enjoyed reading Gary's, Bullheaded, TripleBs, etc.  

If you don't like the thread....don't read it (plus, I think I can multitask enough to talk about UCF and Louisville...heck, I'll stretch the limits of my multitasking and even talk Miami).

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

I'm sorry but I would not rate UCF our rival. Hell, when we were in Conference USA, Southern Miss in my mind was our rival. UCF doesn't even belong in C-USA much less Division 1 football.

I'm sorry but I would not rate UCF our rival. Hell, when we were in Conference USA, Southern Miss in my mind was our rival. UCF doesn't even belong in C-USA much less Division 1 football.

There is something to be said for the Southern Miss part.  I think it was that way because USF played a few games with them and it downright bothered them when they lost.  Their fans were ill-tempered too.  It was certainly on its way to a rivalry.

I know the fact that it was perceived that Bowers had cast the 'CUSA wait' vote (quality not quantity) against USF also fed that (when it turned out not to be true).  Claims of eye-gouging and spitting only fed the fire.

A similar dynamic is in place (at least on UCF's side) with USF not giving them the game and treating them like a 2nd class citizen.  

I agree it is more a rivalry from their side.  Probably a lot like the University of Florida sees USF.  Bring them up to Ben Hill Griffin, embarrass them, send them home.

Maybe if UCF was serious about trying to establish themselves as a rival they should have dumped ice on the field.  You know how that p*sses a team off :-)